Advice on autum / winter / spring road bike jacket

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
keef66

Re: Advice on autum / winter / spring road bike jacket

Postby keef66 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:11 pm

The Alphas are a fitted cut, but you only need a baselayer.

fozworth

Postby fozworth » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 pm

keef66 wrote:
fozworth wrote:
Matt_N wrote:This would probably serve you well through the worst of the seasons.

Scale up or down your base layer to increase / decrease warmth.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/castell ... t-1471292/

Hi mate I saw those last night however I wasn’t sure if it was going to be waterproof enough in event of getting caught in rain ? They say it’s the alpha jacket which is a little misleading as it’s the alpha jersey .
What do you think ?

Correct. Light Jacket = jersey. Castelli themselves are responsible for the ever changing name confusion. No breast pocket is the obvious visual difference.

It will keep you dry enough in light rain, and damp but warm in heavier rain. In either case it will be more comfortable than a full-on waterproof

Cheers have ordered L and xL and will keep the best fitting

JeemyW

Postby JeemyW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 17:25 pm

Hi,

New to the forum and half searching for +1s at the moment.

But have you looked at Arcteryx? Its expensive gear but absolutely superb.

I use their thermal underwear for long shifts, even overnights, at the workshop in the Scottish winters and it beats out anything from the tool-wear guys.

I buy the jackets from the US - for a £600 full-spec mountaineering jacket you'll pay $550 which is a big saving.

I have an Arcteryx shell jacket that cost me maybe $200-300. Its eminently waterproof, fully sealed so no ingress to neck/sleeves, comes in bright road-safe colours and folds to nothing.

Only downside I could presume is it might be a bit airtight for cycling but I don't think that it is.

J

JeemyW

Postby JeemyW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 17:27 pm

I should say, I've owned the big full-spec for 15 years and it looks brand new. I've brushed between two vans and covered it in grease/oil and it washes back off even after a few days. Only thing is, if you work in a smokey environment the padding does tend to soak up smells. I went to an outdoor BBQ and it smelt of woodsmoke for several years....

The shell jacket gets folded and rolled for flights and long journeys all the time, and it unrolls flat. Its all proper Goretex etc.

cougie

Postby cougie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 18:05 pm

The dhb aeron full protection shell is grey for really cold winter but their aeron hybrid works for a much wider range of temperatures.

fozworth

Postby fozworth » Thu Sep 27, 2018 18:41 pm

Cheers to all that replied ,as said I've ordered the alpha jersey and will report back once I've tried it out .Just need a light weight packable emergency rain jacket now unless the alpha is good enough in which case I won't bother

CombatClaret

Postby CombatClaret » Thu Sep 27, 2018 23:20 pm

Did my winter shopping this summer for all the end of range stuff.

For wet days the Altura Podium Night Vision has served me well so far this year for a 30min commute in pretty heavy rain. £50 from Merlin, light, can just about stow it in a jersey/jacket. Drys out very quickly.
Cold days just wearing a BTWIN 500 warm jacket for £25, really like it. Will add the merino wool layers once the temps drop really low.

bendip

Postby bendip » Sun Sep 30, 2018 06:29 am

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-t ... of-jacket/

The red is £67.49..try the fit at home..free returns etc..it's well made and warm.. re waterproofness ..i don't remember mine letting me down in showers but i think a foul day might be a step too far for it
Tell the stars I'm coming,
make them leave a space for me;
whether bones, or dust,
or ashes once among them I'll be free

andydr2wheels

Postby andydr2wheels » Wed Oct 10, 2018 00:06 am

Can,t believe no one mentioned the mistrial foul weather jacket from Galibi er. Fantastic quality at way less than competitors. I wore mine right through last winter -- in a 'll weather's. I thought I'd need something warmer for the real freezing days but it was more than enough in the end. And i s waterproof enough for 5 h r club rides in solid rain. Can't recommend it enough
https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-fou ... er-jacket/

Return to “Road Buying Advice”