Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
munkster

Re: Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Postby munkster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 am

I bought some of the Schwalbe mounting lubricant (is it called Easy Fit?) but it does for all the world look just like soapy water anyway. I am sceptical it made a jot of difference as well since they were a sod to get on, full stop!

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:51 am

Carbonator wrote:Cheers guys.

Do you have to use mounting fluid or is that just if tyre is difficult to get on the rim?
Could you not just use some of the sealant?

I think it's a genius bit of marketing to be honest...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 13:13 pm

Lordgun in Italy have the Schwalbe ONE 25 tubeless at 35 Euro each... based on feedback on Italian forums I have ordered a pair... :D

DulwichIron

Postby DulwichIron » Tue Mar 17, 2015 15:33 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:Lordgun in Italy have the Schwalbe ONE 25 tubeless at 35 Euro each... based on feedback on Italian forums I have ordered a pair... :D

only 1 x 25 left now. Some very cheap deals on other kit there though if the online currency converter is to be believed.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:15 am

DulwichIron wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:Lordgun in Italy have the Schwalbe ONE 25 tubeless at 35 Euro each... based on feedback on Italian forums I have ordered a pair... :D

only 1 x 25 left now. Some very cheap deals on other kit there though if the online currency converter is to be believed.

Shame, looks like I nicked the last pair. Ordered yesterday, sent yesterday to my parents in Italy... :mrgreen:

On a different note, still waiting for a pair of IRC 25 mm tubeless to test and review... looks like no tyre has arrived to Europe yet, maybe next month... :(

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 13:37 pm

How are people finding them? Have to say I am not overwhelmed so far...
- @ddraver

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 13:41 pm

ddraver wrote:How are people finding them? Have to say I am not overwhelmed so far...

I find them awesome... as good as my Corsa CX tubulars but with less stress and much lower running pressure (75-80).
What do you run them on? What were you riding before?

matt-h

Postby matt-h » Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:37 pm

They are nice but no as good as Corsa's in my opinion.
Ride just like Ultremos

Matt

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:46 pm

ok, my thoughts

I am 105kg, running Schwalbe One, 25c on Fulcrum Racing 3's - 2 way fit.

Tubed
I ran about 100-110psi in them for general fast club running but would drop that to 95-100psi for longer, slower winter rides where I wanted a bit more comfort. The lowest I ever ran them was 85psi (testing them for RVV). I liked them! For the past 2 years i was running them on Ksyrium Elites until the rims wore out on them. I had 2 months or so running them tubed on the new wheels

I thought they ran pretty well, puncture resistance was acceptable for a tyre of that sort on Dutch Bike paths and even UK country lanes. They were light enough to give the bike a good bit of zip. They were nt so good for commuting but they arent supposed to be...

Tubeless
First ride i went for 100psi which was horrible. I steadily dropped the tyre pressure and last weekend i did a 130km ride with them at 85psi. This was a good pressure for comfort I think and they elt a bt more like a normal tyre but I might try 75psi for RVV as there is no issue with Pinch flats now.

Although I have not had a puncture yet, I did not get that many with the old set up anyway. To be honest I think they feel less good to ride than the tubed set up and I don't think I would recommend someone buying new wheels in holland to go for a heavier, more expensive wheelset for Dutch bike path riding - I don't really think there are enough benefits.

Where I think they would be fantastic is under a Salsa/Ibis type "all road" (or whatever you call it) bike set up for winter riding/CX/Gravel paths/stony, muddy UK country paths etc with discs where you could use a wide tyre at a relatively low pressure for the off road, but still high enough to not drag on the road. This would eliminate the possibility of stone puncture or pinches and make a good "adventure" bike. however, the slight issue with that is that there arent any tyres available that would fit that bill really (I don't reckon Schwalbe Ones 28c would cut it really...)

So, I'm not dissapointed I run them, but to be honest, I wouldnt tell someone who rides on good roads to go tubeless. If i end up back in the UK (likely) I would be interested to see what they re like on Cornish country lanes which are commonly covered in cow crap/sticks/stones etc and I'm interested to see what they will be like on the flat cobbled sections at RVV where I will be able to run low pressures for my someone my size.

Edit - tl:dr? Watch the GCN vid, I agree almost completely with that guy...
- @ddraver

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 07:59 am

Good feedback there.

I see tubeless as the best compromise today to maintain the same level of performance of a top end clincher increasing safety and minimising roadside hassle. If there is lower rolling resistance thrown in, even better, but it isn't a priority for me.
If punctures are not a concern, I agree there is no need for it. The safety element is however interesting... being able to run lower pressure (80 PSI feels like 100-110), not risking an inner tube blowout, be that courtesy of over heating or other reason, being able to keep the tyre on the rim in case of a puncture at speed... I see these as invaluable and worth spending a little extra. I don't know how we got to the point of spending a fortune on what are in essence cosmetic upgrades, but being extremely skeptical when it comes to spending on safety... it's a strategy I totally disagree with.

munkster

Postby munkster » Sat Mar 21, 2015 06:25 am

Re: "I've bought the Hutchinson Atom Galactiks on Ugo's say so ;-)"

I want feedback ASAP as they are on my to do list...

Quick feedback goes like this: mounted them onto DA hubbed Pacenti SL23s very easily (hahahhahahaaaa yeah right!!!) and they look good at least nicely understated. Incredibly tight fit, but then I have no experience of other tubeless tyres - they are impossible to rotate around the rim even with no air in them, for example. Pumped up first time, no sealant required for them to hold air, very impressed with that, but again no idea if that's "normal" or a factor of the rim/tyre combo.

Done two short rides (30 and 40km respectively), all went well, and for the record my fastest rides for a long long time = significant aero benefits?? :lol: Slightly lower pressure second time (only from a thumb test though) so perhaps a little air escaped after the first ride. Definitely felt more comfortable second ride, but still think I can reduce the pressure a little, I am still at around 90psi I'd expect. I am 73kg any suggestions what pressures? Grip levels feel OK versus my usual GP4000s but again maybe pressures will make a difference even more on this. Definitely confident enough to lean over at speed on sketchy-ish corners.

The 23mm tyre does *look* too narrow for a 24mm rim, the brake track is at least flush with the tyre, and maybe even wider than it; not 100% comfortable with that really, so they seem to come up narrow but maybe just the "sitting flatter" effect. Will defo go 25mm next time (only didn't because my forks generally rub on anything wider than 23mm) round however, I get the feeling the rim will reduce the bulge sufficiently for them to fit. Maybe Hutchinson will release a 25mm version by then? If so I'd buy it.

gazl

Postby gazl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 14:07 pm

if anyone is trying to find the 25mm one tubeless, just ordered a pair

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schw ... wg_id-5112

in stock

Spooked

Postby Spooked » Sat Mar 21, 2015 16:55 pm

Hi guys,

Hope it's all ok to post on this thread. I've decided to build my own wheels. I did so when I was sixteen and fast forward twenty odd years of like to do the same again.

I have been running a pair of fulcrum 5's which flex and are pretty knackered now.

Just wondering what you would spec?

I weigh 75kg and primarily use the bike around sussex road so fairly punchy short sharp hills and undulating terrain. I really enjoy going uphill weirdly. I'm going to be using the bike once or twice a year in alpine locations too.

Quite like the look of the miche hubs but have also thought about campag record. Wanted to keep the build under £350 if possible.

I really have no idea what rims, spokes and hubs to use and wondered with some of your experience you'd recommed?

Guess I'm looking for something light and fairly strong. Really appreciate any help you can throw me.

Cheers!

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Mar 21, 2015 17:23 pm

Spooked wrote:Hi guys,

Hope it's all ok to post on this thread. I've decided to build my own wheels. I did so when I was sixteen and fast forward twenty odd years of like to do the same again.

I have been running a pair of fulcrum 5's which flex and are pretty knackered now.

Just wondering what you would spec?

I weigh 75kg and primarily use the bike around sussex road so fairly punchy short sharp hills and undulating terrain. I really enjoy going uphill weirdly. I'm going to be using the bike once or twice a year in alpine locations too.

Quite like the look of the miche hubs but have also thought about campag record. Wanted to keep the build under £350 if possible.

I really have no idea what rims, spokes and hubs to use and wondered with some of your experience you'd recommed?

Guess I'm looking for something light and fairly strong. Really appreciate any help you can throw me.

Cheers!

Wrong thread... copy and paste it in the right thread, I can't do it for you.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Sat Mar 21, 2015 17:50 pm

I'd suggest 90psi is too much for 75kg

I also think they they don't lose air on the road, but they will lose air " the shed". This seems to be a "thing"for tubeless tyres as it happens with MTBs as well. Plus, if they re tubeless tyres they should hold air on the rim with no sealant. The sealant is only for punctures. MTB "tubeless ready" tyres can be a bit more leaky.
- @ddraver

6wheels

Postby 6wheels » Sun Mar 22, 2015 16:30 pm

Munkster- Did you put any sealant in?

munkster

Postby munkster » Sun Mar 22, 2015 16:37 pm

Indeed I did. I did do via the valve (after removing the core) using a Stans injector wotsit. Would have been very messy had I tried to do it the other way (leaving a bit off the rim) I reckon.

6wheels

Postby 6wheels » Sun Mar 22, 2015 19:10 pm

munkster wrote:

Indeed I did. I did do via the valve (after removing the core) using a Stans injector wotsit. Would have been very messy had I tried to do it the other way (leaving a bit off the rim) I reckon.

Cheers.

DKay

Postby DKay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 21:43 pm

I just use plastic syringes to squirt sealant into the tyre via the valve.

Paul1000

Postby Paul1000 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 08:58 am

Hi, nearly time to get the summer bike out, I've fitted some one tubeless 23 's to my fulcrum zeros, I'm 88kg and run 100 front and 110 back on a tubed set up, what should I be looking at for these?

Return to “Road Buying Advice”