Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
thecycleclinic

Re: Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Postby thecycleclinic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 13:46 pm

the rubber on that tyre is abraded. It like you have been locking the wheel at high speed alot. Something not right there.

Occasionally (I have had it with a good year tyre) the rubber seperates from the carcass and then falls apart. that may have happened here. really hard to tell now as the tyre has been destroyed.

This flow chart may help those with tubeless instalation questions. There is a guide appearing in cycling weekly which i have contributed too. I have not seen how its been written up so I hope the details are accurate.

2014 volkswagen jetta 0 60
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

parkergrey

Postby parkergrey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 14:40 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:Don't worry about the wet grip too much. I am comparing to the best tyres out there's. against most tyres the conti's are pretty good. I am in no hurry to remove them.

What are these mythical best tyres out there?

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sun Jan 27, 2019 16:59 pm

parkergrey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Don't worry about the wet grip too much. I am comparing to the best tyres out there's. against most tyres the conti's are pretty good. I am in no hurry to remove them.

What are these mythical best tyres out there?

Maxxis High Roads
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 22:06 pm

Vittoria pave tubulars is one tyre. I still have a Soft spot for tubs. Even the conti comps seem to have more grip. This can be subjective though I can't measure this.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Jan 28, 2019 09:03 am

thecycleclinic wrote:Vittoria pave tubulars is one tyre. I still have a Soft spot for tubs. Even the conti comps seem to have more grip. This can be subjective though I can't measure this.

When I rode tubs, I always had that feeling of being over dressed for the event, if you know what I mean... a bit like wearing a tuxedo to go down to McDonalds.
And then those Vittoria wore out quickly, very quickly... they really are racing tyres

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Jan 28, 2019 13:06 pm

yes they do wear quickly ugo but and puncture too.

shamrock134

Postby shamrock134 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:29 pm

My rear "Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season 11Storm" has not fared too well this winter on London's roads. It's cut up pretty badly and I've had to use 3 tyre plugs/anchovies on punctures that sealant couldn't fix. Two of these plugs have since started leaking air so I think the tyre is dead. Slightly disappointed it didn't quite make it to 2000 miles or through 1 winter considering it's meant to be "all season".

I've got some of the new Pirelli Cinturato Velo tyres to put on. They seem to be praised for their puncture protection... https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 17:04 pm

The pro one on Jarno's test are fairly puncture resistant but we know they are not in reality. However the thick tread must be something in there favour. The thread is 0.6mm thicker than the IRC formula pro Xguard but is also 0.6mm thinner on the sidewall. So if your punctures are mainly in tread then they could fair quite well. I wonder though how resistant they are to side wall damage.
Last edited by thecycleclinic on Wed Jan 30, 2019 23:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobones

Postby bobones » Wed Jan 30, 2019 17:38 pm

shamrock134 wrote:My rear "Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season 11Storm" has not fared too well this winter on London's roads. It's cut up pretty badly and I've had to use 3 tyre plugs/anchovies on punctures that sealant couldn't fix. Two of these plugs have since started leaking air so I think the tyre is dead. Slightly disappointed it didn't quite make it to 2000 miles or through 1 winter considering it's meant to be "all season".

The tyre isn't really dead just because you've got some leaking plugs. You could always patch them from the inside or fit new plugs if you can be bothered. 2000 miles isn't all that shabby, particularly as it sounds as if there's a bit of life in them yet. What sealant do you use?

shamrock134

Postby shamrock134 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 09:47 am

bobones wrote:
shamrock134 wrote:My rear "Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season 11Storm" has not fared too well this winter on London's roads. It's cut up pretty badly and I've had to use 3 tyre plugs/anchovies on punctures that sealant couldn't fix. Two of these plugs have since started leaking air so I think the tyre is dead. Slightly disappointed it didn't quite make it to 2000 miles or through 1 winter considering it's meant to be "all season".

The tyre isn't really dead just because you've got some leaking plugs. You could always patch them from the inside or fit new plugs if you can be bothered. 2000 miles isn't all that shabby, particularly as it sounds as if there's a bit of life in them yet. What sealant do you use?

True, I haven't actually chucked it yet since putting the Pirelli on. I had already patched one of the holes internally but when the second plug started leaking I got fed up. It could probably serve as a front tyre once patched up. The rear definitely seems to take more of a battering!

I'm using Orange Seal Endurance based on recommendations from mates but willing to try others if there are "better" ones.

bobones

Postby bobones » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 am

From what I've read, the normal Orange Seal is better at plugging holes than the Endurance, but Endurance has advantages in hot and dry climates. Keep us posted on how you get on with the Pirellis.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am

This thread was originally open to help people buying tubeless tyres at a reasonable cost. The problem of availability and cost has not disappeared in the meantime.

Lately it has developed into the "how to patch a tubeless tyre" thread.

The all point of tubeless tyres is that you shouldn't have to worry about any of that... but if that becomes the main topic of discussion, then maybe something is not quite right

shamrock134

Postby shamrock134 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:This thread was originally open to help people buying tubeless tyres at a reasonable cost. The problem of availability and cost has not disappeared in the meantime.

Lately it has developed into the "how to patch a tubeless tyre" thread.

The all point of tubeless tyres is that you shouldn't have to worry about any of that... but if that becomes the main topic of discussion, then maybe something is not quite right

I don't recall asking how to patch a tubeless tyre. Forum threads evolve. If someone is struggling to find where to buy tubeless tyres and work out how much they cost then they have other issues. :lol:

Yes, I transitioned to tubeless to avoid the hassles of puncturing and inner tube changing since I commute daily on debris-filled city roads. Overall, I still think it's been a positive change but there are certainly challenges and costs associated with tubeless that some might not consider worthwhile.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 13:17 pm

what size plugs have you used. The thin ones particuarly the GI plugs do have issues staying in the tyres. a thicker plug can be your solution.

shamrock134

Postby shamrock134 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 13:33 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:what size plugs have you used. The thin ones particuarly the GI plugs do have issues staying in the tyres. a thicker plug can be your solution.

Yeah, the standard Genuine Innovations 'Side of Bacon'. :D

I probably need to get better at plugging them too as I expect I made the cut bigger in the process of stabbing the plug in! :oops:

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 14:01 pm

Those GI plugs are not that good. Try the maxalamikit with 3.5mm plugs (merlin sell them https://www.merlincycles.com/maxalami-r ... 10339.html). if you have a big hole a small plug, particularly one that is not very sticky, wont seal it. The whole reason why this was created was to resolve the very problem you have. I have been there was no solution other than patching (perhaps dyanplugs is a solution but I am too tight to try) so here we are. The main issue is tyre companies are recomending repair kits. It is a problem for tubeless uptake.

Plugs like tyres are not all equal.In fact different brands of plugs feel quite different. some are more tacky than others.

Lincolndave

Postby Lincolndave » Fri Feb 01, 2019 04:10 am

Has anyone tried the Effetto Mariposa Vitamina CL sealent additave as yet?, i read an article on it and suppose to work well.
I started using their sealant last year and am quite happy with it up to date, the additive is suppose to help with larger holes in the tyre

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 13:09 pm

You have to remove the tyre to add it and I dont like doing that (mess) and potential issues reseating some tyres also by the time I could add some there is a big plug in the tyre and that has sealed the hole. So a solution in search of a problem even though it works. You dont add it preventively as the sealant goes off much quicker. You can inject through the valave as it can clog the valve.

Lincolndave

Postby Lincolndave » Fri Feb 01, 2019 16:30 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:You have to remove the tyre to add it and I dont like doing that (mess) and potential issues reseating some tyres also by the time I could add some there is a big plug in the tyre and that has sealed the hole. So a solution in search of a problem even though it works. You dont add it preventively as the sealant goes off much quicker. You can inject through the valave as it can clog the valve.

Cheers Malcolm, I read you could put it in the tyre on the initial set up, but I did not realise the sealant goes off quicker

zefs

Postby zefs » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Update on Hutchinson Performance 11 storm, I can recommend them for all round usage since I've ridden 2000km so far and they have 2 small cuts and no punctures (a few rides on wet roads but I mostly ride on good conditions). Previously I had Galactik's and Yksion UST which cut more but are faster since they are more race oriented.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”