Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
SloppySchleckonds

Re: Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:06 am

Ryan_W wrote:2019 25c Vittoria Corsa TLRs (Graphene 2.0) fitted without an issue (needed a AirShot to seat them, but up first time).

Very smooth and one of the grippiest tyres I've ever used. So grippy they're fairly noisy and I assume not 'that' fast rolling due to this. Extremely supple and don't ballon to a silly size.

My GP5Ks are much quieter and I would say roll a fair bit faster, but who knows until the tests come out.....

Well, the 2018 Corsa have the lowest rolling resistance in tests
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Ryan_W

Postby Ryan_W » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am

No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.

'17 Focus Mares Force 1 --- '19 Ibis Ripmo XX1 --- '19 Cervélo S5 Disc Di2
:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£495 for 7 Nights*
:!:

zefs

Postby zefs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 08:47 am

For people that use asymmetric rim profiles and tubeless, make sure to use tubeless valves that have the extra spacer included. I wasn't using it up until now (no issues), but I changed the valves on my Ksyriums and they seem to hold air better, even without sealant. Not sure how many asymmetric rims are on the market, but Ksyriums are in that category.
The spacers look like that (the two plastic parts in the middle):

Example of asymmetric rim on the right:

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 17:59 pm

I use asymmetric rims alot and don't seem to have this issue but then again I use valves with the right shape for the rims. That's the trick. There is no such thing as a universal valve. Also those rubber o rings do jack all. They don't improve the seal. They can be left out.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

bobones

Postby bobones » Fri Apr 19, 2019 19:25 pm

Agreed. I had big problems with leaks using conical profile valves on Open Pro UST rims. As soon as I switched to valves with rectangular rubber plugs the problem was solved.

zefs

Postby zefs » Sat Apr 20, 2019 04:53 am

thecycleclinic wrote:I use asymmetric rims alot and don't seem to have this issue but then again I use valves with the right shape for the rims. That's the trick. There is no such thing as a universal valve. Also those rubber o rings do jack all. They don't improve the seal. They can be left out.

Yes shape must be right too.
Before using the spacer I was using the rubber o rings and there was a visible gap shown since the rims are asymmetric and there was a leak when I didn't use sealant. With the plastic spacers added as shown in this video there is no gap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6VaI7-InpQ

Ajkerr73

Postby Ajkerr73 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 08:35 am

First attempt at mounting tubeless tyres last night.

GP5000TL onto Wheelsmith Aero Carbon Disc 50mm http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/product-page/aero-38-50-60

Now I was expecting this to be a tough gig, but I cant get anywhere near getting the second bead onto the rim.

I have tried "chasing the slack" - what are the other "go to" techniques for particularly tough tyres to fit?

I've read about warming the tyre and also the obvious tyre lever approach (which I'm trying to avoid)

zefs

Postby zefs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 09:53 am

You could try
1) soapy water on the beads
2) end at the valve
3) when you get on the last tough part stop and starting from opposite to the valve try to push the bead into the rim well a couple of times, then hold one side of the "tough part" so it doesn't twist and use a lever on the other side

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 21:35 pm

When most people chase the slack they don't gather any. Try again. They will mount.

What I have found is most home fitter lack the skills to mount a tight tyre. Go to a shop and let them do it.

Ajkerr73

Postby Ajkerr73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 09:09 am

thecycleclinic wrote:When most people chase the slack they don't gather any. Try again. They will mount.

What I have found is most home fitter lack the skills to mount a tight tyre. Go to a shop and let them do it.

I have concluded that you are correct, and I'll ask the mechanic to fit the tyres when I give him all the bits to build my bike.

My problem last night (apart from two bruised thumb nails, skint knuckles and teaching my 15 yo son a couple of new curses) is that I can't get the first bead out of the way to allow the second bead to sit down in the "trough" as I install it.

I'm not trying again, as I couldn't decide last night whether my left arm was sore from hauling at the tyre, or I was actually having a heart attack!

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Fri Apr 26, 2019 09:17 am

Ryan_W wrote:No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.

Ah yes, looks like they've added 90g to the weight. Probably similar performance to the Maxxis Padrone and Mavic Yksion Pro
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Sat Apr 27, 2019 07:32 am

SloppySchleckonds wrote:
Ryan_W wrote:No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.

Ah yes, looks like they've added 90g to the weight. Probably similar performance to the Maxxis Padrone and Mavic Yksion Pro

Yep, these rolling resistance reviews are easily misleading.

I loved my clincher Corsas a couple of years ago, now on tubeless I have the Schwalbe Pro Ones (quite like how predictive text wants to insert Schwarzenegger into the sentence). When they need replacing wonder whether I go with GP5Ks or summat else. Interested to hear how you get on with the Corsas.

wotnoshoeseh

Postby wotnoshoeseh » Mon May 06, 2019 22:14 pm

Hi,
I now have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST. I bought the wheel set without realising they were tubeless. What do I need to carry for punctures?
I get the bit where the sealant will re-seal for small nicks and minor cuts, but if it really lets go, what do I need to be carrying to repair and get me back on the road?
GT Series 4 2010
Felt F4 2012
Giant Defy 1 2014 - now gone!!
2016 Kinesis T2 V3 w 105 groupset
2016 Kinesis Aithein - R8000

zefs

Postby zefs » Tue May 07, 2019 05:43 am

Road specific tubeless plugs (not mtb ones) or dynaplug and a good pump with hose.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Tue May 07, 2019 23:00 pm

I'm so tempted to reply but I am not contributing any more. so "road plugs" and "MTB plugs" and other misunderstanding can spread about at will. I can no longer can be bothered to correct the misunderstandings like the above, its simply endless.

zefs

Postby zefs » Wed May 08, 2019 05:19 am

My mistake, what I meant to write was plugs that are as wide as the puncture so basically someone might need both plug sizes.

It's just that everyone rides in different road conditions and have different experiences with punctures.

bradsbeard

Postby bradsbeard » Fri May 31, 2019 13:27 pm

Not sure if this has been commented on already. Using the Finish Line sealant. Had two punctures this week both which sealed in a second. One was a 2.4mm cut. Very impressed with it by far the best sealant I've used.

rieko

Postby rieko » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:00 am

rieko wrote:
rieko wrote:
Arsey wrote:
zefs wrote:
rieko wrote:Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:

Update on my tires. They feel night and day compared to my stock Giant Gavia's. Much more grippy in the wet and they just roll nicer. I did get my first puncture with them over the weekend and they sealed up as they should perfectly.

So far so good.

3 months in.

What can I say. Arsey and Zefs were right. I probably squeaked 1000 miles out of them but yesterday I binned them off. Incredibly fast tyre, very confidence inspiring, but I'm down to the canvas already in a few months.

I'll be purchasing the performance tyres next instead of the Galatcik's.
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Joe Totale

Postby Joe Totale » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am

rieko wrote:
rieko wrote:
rieko wrote:
Arsey wrote:
zefs wrote:
rieko wrote:Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:

Update on my tires. They feel night and day compared to my stock Giant Gavia's. Much more grippy in the wet and they just roll nicer. I did get my first puncture with them over the weekend and they sealed up as they should perfectly.

So far so good.

3 months in.

What can I say. Arsey and Zefs were right. I probably squeaked 1000 miles out of them but yesterday I binned them off. Incredibly fast tyre, very confidence inspiring, but I'm down to the canvas already in a few months.

I'll be purchasing the performance tyres next instead of the Galatcik's.

I got about 3000-4000km out of 28mm Performances. Great tyres IMO, got 3 punctures in their life, 2 sealed fine and the other one was repaired quickly with a worm.

Now trying the all season ones on the winter bike which with all this recent rain is getting plenty of use.

bobones

Postby bobones » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

I'm running 25 mm All Seasons on my mudguard equipped Dolan Dual and I really like them. Seem sturdy enough without being heavy and no problems with grip. Got them on Open Pro UST/Miche Primato 24F/28H/Sapim Laser/D-Light handbuilts, which is a beautiful combination for wet weather riding!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”