Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
geoffh73
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:07 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby geoffh73 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 09:29 am

The secret rider wrote:Dragging this thread back up.

My 2016 advance pro 0 needs new tyres thanks to british 'chipping' road resurfacing.

Hoping i can upgrade from the standard GP1 giant tyres although they do get good reviews.

Currently looking at the Vittoria Corsa G+ Road Tyre

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitt ... graphene16

Seems like the best package / all rounder out there just now with some mighty impressive claims ! claims . . .

having a read of this thread and others seems the verdict is still out on 23 or 25 but does 25 fit the new propel ? I know it comes with 23 and the rim width of the SLR1 carbon rims fitted is 23mm according to the giant website

i'm unsure what to go for, i dont find the propel uncomfy sometimes its harsh but i kinda like it :)

Did anyone ever prove that 25mm was faster anyway ? will post a seperate thread on feedback on the corsa + soon


i have the advanced 0 and run 26mm specialized tyres on fulcrum quattro lg with no problems.
Trek Domane 4.1
Giant Propel Advanced 0

mason5697
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 22:41 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby mason5697 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 13:32 pm

I have the Propel advanced pro 2. And I'm running 25mm Conti Gatorskins without a problem... I didn't dislike the 23's. But I had the 25's on my hybrid and swapped them over to the Propel for puncture protection for a few longer rides

The secret rider
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 18:36 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby The secret rider » Wed Jun 29, 2016 20:16 pm

Many thanks for the replies, by chance I called into a friends shop today and tried his wheels in my bike.

He was running 25c Vittoria Corsa G+ and they fit without any issues.

User avatar
izza
Posts: 1544
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 20:31 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby izza » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:12 am

I've had 3 Propel's.

1) Used 23/24/25 mm tyres with no problem both with Fouriers and Giant brakes. However, it is still a bit of trial and error as it depends on the wheels and the rim wdth. My frame was a 58 - shouldn't affect things but state it for information only.

2) It was one of the most comfortable rides out. Anyone who goes "Its an aero bike it won't be comfortable" has never ridden one. Check out Kurt Searvogel images and you'll see that he used one with TT bars as part of his longest distance in a year record. Sponsored or not, he's not going to ride a boneshaker as part of that effort!

3) I never noticed any change in comfort with any othe tyre size changes.

The secret rider
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 18:36 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby The secret rider » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:34 am

izza wrote:I've had 3 Propel's.

1) Used 23/24/25 mm tyres with no problem both with Fouriers and Giant brakes. However, it is still a bit of trial and error as it depends on the wheels and the rim wdth. My frame was a 58 - shouldn't affect things but state it for information only.

2) It was one of the most comfortable rides out. Anyone who goes "Its an aero bike it won't be comfortable" has never ridden one. Check out Kurt Searvogel images and you'll see that he used one with TT bars as part of his longest distance in a year record. Sponsored or not, he's not going to ride a boneshaker as part of that effort!

3) I never noticed any change in comfort with any othe tyre size changes.


cheers for the reply, I agree it doesn't seem an uncanny bike and to be honest i don't have much to compare it with

the SLR1 aero wheels carbon - have a rim width of 23mm so think i am going to stick with 23's

Semantik
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 09:49 am

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby Semantik » Sat Jul 09, 2016 09:05 am

Looking at this video (@ 0.49 seconds) of a standard Propel Advanced 2 2016 it looks like some 25's would fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6OfNPviFo

Would be nice if they did, as I'm getting one next week.

But no tears from me if they don't.

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6765
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 22:40 pm

Tyres of different brands and models come at different widths and height. The depth of the rim hook makes a difference as does the rim width. no general advise can be given here as it depends on the tyre rim combo. For example in my old Sannino I cannot fit a 23mm conti GP4000sII tyre on my wide rims as they foul the seat tube but a 23mm IRC tubeless tyre fits fine as does a specialised 23mm clincher (I forget which one) as does a 23mm vittoria corsa CX3. If clearance is an issue don't fit a conti tyre they are wide and tall.

Also wider tyres are not slower the aero disadvantage is minor compared to the comfort advantage. Vibration fatigues you and the drag difference is ~5secs over a 40km TT i.e tiny compared to other factors. So overall your quicker with wider tyres than with narrow ones.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

neeb
Posts: 4251
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 19:01 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby neeb » Sun Jul 10, 2016 23:50 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:Also wider tyres are not slower the aero disadvantage is minor compared to the comfort advantage. Vibration fatigues you and the drag difference is ~5secs over a 40km TT i.e tiny compared to other factors. So overall your quicker with wider tyres than with narrow ones.

Surely it always depends on secondary factors - different wheels will be more or less aero with different width tyres. Some very wide rims will be more aero with 25mm tyres than 23mm ones, while narrower ones will be more aero with 23mm tyres (and of course in practice tyres labelled 23mm and 25mm overlap in actual width anyway). And the advantage from preventing fatiguing vibrations will depend on the road surface. On smoother roads 23mm will be faster.

The optimal width for a road tyre (for speed) is quite a small range in any case - something between 20 and 30mm. What precise width within that range is optimal always depends on other factors, there is no universal answer. It's like asking what the ideal saddle height is (73.5 cm since you asked.. :D )

The secret rider
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 18:36 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby The secret rider » Thu Jul 14, 2016 20:20 pm

Fitted 25c Vittoria Corsa G+ no issues 2016 propel advanced pro

RideForFun
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 17:31 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby RideForFun » Fri Sep 16, 2016 19:27 pm

Semantik wrote:Looking at this video (@ 0.49 seconds) of a standard Propel Advanced 2 2016 it looks like some 25's would fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6OfNPviFo

Would be nice if they did, as I'm getting one next week.

But no tears from me if they don't.


2016 are fitted with 23s, I just got the 2017 and it came with 23 too. Aftet visual inspection i beleive 25 would fit fine

stronglikecher
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 20:40 pm

Re: Max 23mm tires on Giant Propel?

Postby stronglikecher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 13:41 pm

I've a video here of 25 tyres on a Giant Propel
https://youtu.be/KdRRwBP7lPM


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests