roadie clothing - learning the hard way!

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
shakyjake

Re: roadie clothing - learning the hard way!

Postby shakyjake » Fri Feb 22, 2013 21:57 pm

Mikey I've gotta be honest I've never thought of lidls selling cycling clothes so. I will have to keep an eye out there!

Currently bidding on eBay ATM for sealskinz, overshoew, and a snood facemask thingy so hopefully will be kitted out for next weekend.

Not looking forward to dressing up as big daddy though with a bib of sorts.

Mikey41

Postby Mikey41 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:32 pm

I didn't know either until I signed up here. They don't always sell them, but when they do each store gets a load of stuff and when it's gone, it's gone. Keep an eye out and get there at opening time on the first day of the sale or the place will have been cleaned out :lol:

Their base layers, like Aldis, are excellent, the gloves are rubbish, but most other stuff is pretty good. It will certainly do me for quite a while by the looks of it.

Plenty of other places that also sell suitable clothing. Mountain Warehouse has cycling tops at very reasonable price, look for one of their factory outlet stores. I've gathered stuff from many places that will be useful for the bike.
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 01:41 am

You definitely don't need a jacket unless it's either incredibly cold or you're intending to ride longer than it will take for you to dry out; being wet through on a 200km Audax wouldn't be much fun.

Much better to wear a windproof winter jersey, which will also have no boil-in-the-bag effect and very probably a closer fit. Combine that with a merino base layer or just another jersey and you should be fine for much of this country has to offer; it suits me, anyway. Get yourself a wool cap - preferably with ear flaps - some good quality gloves, and some warm socks and overshoes too.

Ultimately however, cycling attire is a composite, and the best way to be is to have a vast plethora of different options. Base layers (long and short sleeve, thermal and not-so-thermal), mid layers, outer layers, short sleeve jerseys (both for very warm days and not-quite-so-warm days) long sleeve jerseys (different ones for late summer, autumn, winter and spring), gilet, waterproofs (lightweight and pocketable through to full-on deluge resistant), shorts, tights, arm and leg warmers of different lengths, roubaix and non, caps, gloves, socks, shoes and overshoes for all seasons... etc etc etc. Unfortunately it takes some people longer than others to accumulate. :lol:

saprkzz

Postby saprkzz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 09:55 am

My cycling wardrobe has taken two years to fill, and i have probably got everything i need now for all seasons.

Today i will be going out in,

Shoes with Covers
Thermal socks
Leg warmers
Bib shorts
Winter Boxers
Base layer
Jersey
Gilet
Buff
Skull Cap
Helmet

Will be toasty, but the add that all up in cost would be scarey! :roll:

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:38 pm

And I'm about to go out in short sleeves because the zip on my otherwise lovely winter jersey has decided to jam. :lol:

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 15:35 pm

Just back with and fairly warm throughout. Waterproof socks over ordinary socks and neoprene overshoes took care of feet and double layer specialized gloves kept hands warm

dfriel2

Postby dfriel2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 16:53 pm

Just been out for a quick ride, and only body parts that got cold were toes. Found it really hard work though, energy levels were zapped.

Started road cycling in September and have used dhb, Endura, Decathalon and Aldi to supply all my clothing so far. The dhb Roubaix windproof top has been a great buy, that with a thin base layer has kept me warm in all conditions. Aldi trousers / tights have been vital in cold weather and a complete bargain.

Will need a short sleeve top for the summer (any suggestions?) and buying an Endura Frontline base layer as reckon that would be a versatile piece of kit. Found out that I'm not medium for Endura base layers (5' 11", 78kgs..).

royce

Postby royce » Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:35 pm

Have you looking in "Sportsdirect"?
They have a range of MuddyFox cycling gear.
Jackets, shorts, leggings etc.
Ok so they are more know for MTB but when needs must!

Roy

schlepcycling

Postby schlepcycling » Mon Feb 25, 2013 14:45 pm

How about Planet X?. They have roubaix bib tights for £30 and their wind block gloves are great for £10. I would second trying out sports direct as they have baselayers for £6

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXBIBT/planet_x_super_roubaix_bib_tights
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXWINGL/planet_x_wind_block_gloves
http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-zip-top-mens-402072?colcode=40207222

oh and I have to give my usual shout out to Prendas for their superb winter socks
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=18&ID=773

so that's legs, baselayer, socks and gloves for £54
'Hello to Jason Isaacs'

Muffintop

Postby Muffintop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 17:42 pm

I got a £15 softshell cycling jacket from Lidl , it's not bad for 15 quid. I also find Primark quite good - for cheap sports thermals, though I don't know what it's like for guys stuff.

Mx
FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com

ianwilliams

Postby ianwilliams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Decathlon, too.

Pituophis

Postby Pituophis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:33 pm

Aldi winter leggins are amazing for about £16. Genuinely. I would definitely buy them again :D
Winter gloves are about £6, very warm, but obviously not breathable at that price! Good for the very coldest weather.
Base layers are good too.
They do jerseys and high vis rain jackets, but I've not tried those myself.

Only trouble with Aldi is you need to get in straight away when they come in, or the lucky few buy in bulk

g00se

Postby g00se » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am

One option - rather than winter bib-tights (roubaix material) get bib-shorts - then you'll have something for the summer too - and decent leg warmers (try and get ones with windproof material around the front).

There's a lot of campagnolo stuff on sale at the moment (end of line for their clothing range) which is decent quality but was a bit expensive at RRP.

renevat

Postby renevat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 16:34 pm

Decathlon is certainly worth a look. The nearest one to me is two hours drive away but they have reasonable kit at very good prices to get you started. :D Also some good bargains for kit in the cycling magazines at the mo. To go totally cheap I have managed to keep my feet warm by wearing two pairs of socks with a freezer bag or carrier bag between each pair and kept my midriff warm by wrapping bubble wrap around it. Works a treat, not too good at wicking sweat away but keeps you warm. Keep with it though, it's worth it. Good luck.

renevat

Postby renevat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 16:38 pm

P.S TK Max have the snood things for sale, a pack of three, for about £5.99 just got some for myself and they work well.

mrbubbaman

Postby mrbubbaman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 17:08 pm

Pituophis wrote:Aldi winter leggins are amazing for about £16. Genuinely. I would definitely buy them again :D
Winter gloves are about £6, very warm, but obviously not breathable at that price! Good for the very coldest weather.
Base layers are good too.
They do jerseys and high vis rain jackets, but I've not tried those myself.

Only trouble with Aldi is you need to get in straight away when they come in, or the lucky few buy in bulk

Trouble is, how do you know when they get the stuff in? I've never seen any of that stuff for sale in my Aldi, or the Lidle over the road from it.

Beckers62

Postby Beckers62 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 17:56 pm

If you want stuff from Lidl, sign up for their email newsletter. Then you get the heads up when they are going to have cycling kit in. I'd imagine Aldi do a similar thing

Juantwothreefour

Postby Juantwothreefour » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:17 pm

I concur with the Decathlon recommendations. You'll come out looking like you're sponsored by B'Twin if you get everything from there, but it's generally at a great price.

Return to “Road Beginners”