First Night(mare) Ride

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
royce

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 14:48 pm

briantrumpet wrote:
royce wrote:The piece of glass was tiny and stuck deep in the tyre, but couldn't feel it from inside. Can only guess once the tyre was pumped up and my weight combined pushed it through enough to puncture the inner tube.

I think my record for this was three punctures - went through the routine, but there was a tiny bit of flint stuck in side the rubber (invisible from the outside, couldn't feel it on the inside), and it was only as the tyre got to full pressure that the little blighter pushed through into the inner tube. I only found it when I went round squeezing the tyre that the offending article was (just) visible from inside its little niche.

Yep sounds exactly the same as my fun evening, only found it after got the bike home..

mk1markfalkirk

Postby mk1markfalkirk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 15:16 pm

Props for heading out at night in the first place. I need to man up!

cyclingsheep

Postby cyclingsheep » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:32 pm

A tip I was told once is always position the tire with the name directly over the valve. That way when you find the puncture you'll have a fair idea where on the tire to look for the offending article

keef66

Postby keef66 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 13:51 pm

mk1markfalkirk wrote:Props for heading out at night in the first place. I need to man up!

At this time of year if I didn't ride at night I'd hardly get out at all. I'm just glad the wind's dropped.

Decent lights and appropriate clothing and you'll be fine

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:39 pm

I'm always trying to recycle things, tyres amongst them. I was 5 miles in to a ride when the old front recycled tyre gave way. A bubble of the inner tube popped out of the side wall and before I could grab it to stop it getting bigger it burst. I looked around for something to line the tyre and found a childs sock. So, I put in it. :lol: I wrapped some pvc tape around the inner tube to stop it pushing out of the split. It got me home. I now have some pvc tape handy on all my bikes in case it happens again.
...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

Return to “Road Beginners”