First Night(mare) Ride

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:00 pm

Friday night I decided to go on my first night ride.
Checked all my lights were working and got my waterproof jacket out, as there was a light rain falling.
I'd planned on a 20 mile ride.

7 miles in and I got my first puncture :(
So feeling smug I got out my spare inner tube and swapped it over (no puncture repair at the roadside for me)
Jumping back on my bike I set off again.

1 mile down the road Puncture number 2 :cry:
So out came the puncture repair kit!!
Puncture number 2 fixed I had the decision carry on and risk puncture number 3 even further from home or turn back..
Being somewhat demoralised by now I chose the latter option.

So 5 miles from home Puncture number 3 :evil:
Each time I carefully checked the tyre for sharp pointy things and found nothing. So I figured there must be something I was missing. So I decided against a third repair in case I seriously damaged the tyre riding it with a piece of glass or similar imbedded in it.

Fortunately I was close to the storage locker I have near home so I dumped the bike into storage and walked the 5 miles home (all the time hoping to see a taxi as my phone had also died).
Unfortunately no taxis were to be seen.

I picked up the bike today and in the light of day found the offending piece of glass embedded in the tyre.
Once this was removed and both punctures fixed in each of my inner tubes I pumped up the tyre and left it for half an hour. This was all fine.

So despite the sleet I managed to get out for another 15 miles today. To stretch out my stiff muscles from my long walk Friday night!!

Think I need to exchange my flashy LED front light for a better light I my have been able to see the offender with a brighter light! Lesson learned I think

Roy

Herb71
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 14:52 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby Herb71 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:03 pm

What shoes were you wearing? Hope you did not have to walk 5 miles in 'look' type shoes.

royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:21 pm

nope thankfully I was wearing walking shoes had overshoes, but dumped them with the bike

User avatar
DaxPlusPlus
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby DaxPlusPlus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 19:20 pm

When you fixed the puncture did you check the same location on the tyre or did you just check the whole tyre?

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but that's what I do when fixing a puncture and it's usually enough of a clue to find the offending piece of glass/thorn/whatever.
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile

User avatar
ShutUpLegs
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:07 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 19:58 pm

I've ridden 5 miles on a puncture, Lance did 15 in a race
I Like Black Bikes

User avatar
Hoopdriver
Posts: 1975
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby Hoopdriver » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:05 pm

I ride a lot at night and as a precaution carry a small maglight so I can inspect the linings of tyres in the event of a flat, and to see by in case I need to make any other repairs.

royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:14 pm

DaxPlusPlus wrote:When you fixed the puncture did you check the same location on the tyre or did you just check the whole tyre?

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but that's what I do when fixing a puncture and it's usually enough of a clue to find the offending piece of glass/thorn/whatever.


Certainly tried to check relevant place, but no luck.
No eggs here first time I've fixed a puncture in around 15 years all advice gratefully recieved :roll:

royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:16 pm

Hoopdriver wrote:I ride a lot at night and as a precaution carry a small maglight so I can inspect the linings of tyres in the event of a flat, and to see by in case I need to make any other repairs.


Think I'll be doing the same from now on...

The piece of glass was tiny and stuck deep in the tyre, but couldn't feel it from inside. Can only guess once the tyre was pumped up and my weight combined pushed it through enough to puncture the inner tube.

User avatar
PeteMadoc
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 23:17 pm
Contact:

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby PeteMadoc » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:32 pm

Just an idea

When you're checking for flints or glass in the tyre why not use your bike light. In fact why not use your finger and run it around the outside and inside of the tyre. Even in daylight I usually find the offending item using touch rather than sight.

And for future reference you should have shouldered the bike and run, cyclocross style. Extra training innit!

User avatar
DaxPlusPlus
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby DaxPlusPlus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:20 pm

If it's a slow puncture you can ride on it and then re-inflate when necessary (and keep repeating until home).

I've done that twice before.

Just mind your wheels - the rims could easily take a pasting and that could become rather expensive very quickly.
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile

User avatar
briantrumpet
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:47 pm
Contact:

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby briantrumpet » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:27 pm

royce wrote:The piece of glass was tiny and stuck deep in the tyre, but couldn't feel it from inside. Can only guess once the tyre was pumped up and my weight combined pushed it through enough to puncture the inner tube.

I think my record for this was three punctures - went through the routine, but there was a tiny bit of flint stuck in side the rubber (invisible from the outside, couldn't feel it on the inside), and it was only as the tyre got to full pressure that the little blighter pushed through into the inner tube. I only found it when I went round squeezing the tyre that the offending article was (just) visible from inside its little niche.

ForumNewbie
Posts: 1566
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 22:00 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby ForumNewbie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 23:41 pm

royce wrote:1 mile down the road Puncture number 2 :cry:
So out came the puncture repair kit!!
Puncture number 2 fixed I had the decision carry on and risk puncture number 3 even further from home or turn back..
Roy

You did well to identify the hole in the inner tube and fix the second puncture, especially in the dark - even although it punctured again. I always carry 2 tubes as any time I have tested patches they haven't worked.

User avatar
TLW1
Posts: 17568
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:40 am
Contact:

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby TLW1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:29 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:Lance did 15 in a race


But people do strange things when they are drugged up :D

User avatar
Mikey23
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:51 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby Mikey23 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:45 am

All good experience and lessons learned if a pain at the time. I've only had two punctures in nearly two years of riding. Was amazed how tiny the bit of stone causing the problem was. My first attempt was in wet cold and sindy conditions and found that my first spare tube when fitted was also knackered...

djm501
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby djm501 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:24 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:I've ridden 5 miles on a puncture, Lance did 15 in a race


I did that, had to buy a new tyre and nearly had to buy a new wheel. Lance didn't have to pay for anything.

djm501
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby djm501 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

Oh, and a head torch - a powerful one - is a very handy thing to have on a night ride - it may not just be punctures you have to deal with - it's very useful to be able to see what you are doing.

djm501
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby djm501 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 am

djm501 wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote: Lance didn't have to pay for anything.


well until now at least :wink:

User avatar
sungod
Posts: 11618
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 13:52 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby sungod » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:I've ridden 5 miles on a puncture, Lance did 15 in a race


bet he was on tubs though!

i went about a mile on a totally flat clincher last week as stopping to fix it would make me late, between the wet roads and the squirming/slipping tyre it really wasn't fun, every corner was a leap into the unknown, slowest mile i ever rode
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 14:43 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:Just an idea

When you're checking for flints or glass in the tyre why not use your bike light. In fact why not use your finger and run it around the outside and inside of the tyre. Even in daylight I usually find the offending item using touch rather than sight.

And for future reference you should have shouldered the bike and run, cyclocross style. Extra training innit!


My front is just a little flashy thing and I ran my fingers round inside and out several time looking for the offending piece of glass.... Mmm running my fingers round looking for broken glass.... :shock:

Definatly be investing in a more practical front light soon

royce
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:04 pm

Re: First Night(mare) Ride

Postby royce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 14:44 pm

DaxPlusPlus wrote:If it's a slow puncture you can ride on it and then re-inflate when necessary (and keep repeating until home).

I've done that twice before.

Just mind your wheels - the rims could easily take a pasting and that could become rather expensive very quickly.


nothing slow about these, once it started to go flat it was flat within mins...


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests