glasses v contacts

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Molteni Man
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 16:31 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby Molteni Man » Thu Jun 20, 2019 18:50 pm

Hi all.
I used to be a contact lens and glasses wearer for quite a few years until I took the plunge about 19 years ago and had my eyes lasered. Has been great for me and is something I would suggest people might consider. Understand that not all eyes can be suitable, but it’s worth having a couple of consultations. The consultations allow you to get medical opinion and also weigh up costs. I have to say I have saved £100’s through not buying glasses and contact lens. My eyesight is still 20/20 and don’t need to wear reading glasses at nearly 55 years old.
My wife also needed contacts, but went and had eyes done about 6 years ago. Her only regret is that she didn’t do it sooner.
As stated do get proper professional advice, visit several providers and look at feedback. The process has developed massively in the past 20 years too.

paul64
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 07:48 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby paul64 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 17:59 pm

LakesLuddite wrote:I do a fair bit of swimming and running (and sometimes all three in one event!), so not having to have prescription goggles is also important, given the styles of prescription goggles is very limited.g.
You're not wearing contact lenses when swimming are you?

LakesLuddite
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby LakesLuddite » Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:12 pm

paul64 wrote:
LakesLuddite wrote:I do a fair bit of swimming and running (and sometimes all three in one event!), so not having to have prescription goggles is also important, given the styles of prescription goggles is very limited.g.
You're not wearing contact lenses when swimming are you?


Yes, I know, I know...just don't tell my optician or they will have a fit! She even tells me to take them out in the shower. Sod that.

paul64
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 07:48 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby paul64 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 14:21 pm

It's because of the advice I received years ago. A mate of mine (smartest person I know, annoyingly so, double major in biology and chemistry, retired in mid 40s, paid 2 mortgages in full each in 7 years yada yada) implored me not to do it when I was still playing tennis at 40 and kept the contacts in to swim. He told me it was not just bad but seriously bad. At one of the yearly checks I owned up to the optomotrist who said no, no no and explained it was due to parasites which can still be present in pool water despite the chemical treatment. Ah I said, they get behind the lens, no he replied they get into the cellular matrix of the lens and you can go blind in 24 hours.

Now maybe, it's rare or has never happened but I have never worn lenses again in water for the subsequent 15 years. Incidentally, he added that a mate of his did a thesis on the bacteria levels in public jacuzzis and said the average jacuzzi has the same level as 10 domestiuc toilets. Sometimes in life you wish you didn't hear these things...

philthy3
Posts: 4994
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby philthy3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 08:41 am

After trying varifocals for reading and not getting on with them, I went down the one day disposable contact lens route. First ride using them at the weekend and a revelation. Able to wear my cycling glasses of choice, long vision unimpaired and now able to see and read the screen on the ELEMNT, even with all 10 fields in use. £65 for 3 months worth including 50% off any glasses and free eye tests.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
g00se
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 09:53 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby g00se » Thu Jun 27, 2019 09:07 am

philthy3 wrote:After trying varifocals for reading and not getting on with them, I went down the one day disposable contact lens route.


If you get on with those, I recommend trying the monthly disposables (you only take them out to replace once a month). Similar cost and you can see when you get up in the morning! Though that does mean you soon realise how dirty the shower is...

User avatar
Bumo_b
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:23 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby Bumo_b » Thu Jun 27, 2019 09:24 am

Another one for monthlies. I get them off the net from one of the major sites and works out about £25 for 3 months for Aqua Optix. Got tired of waking up at 5 am poking myself in the eye every morning. As for swimming, ooops!

LakesLuddite
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby LakesLuddite » Thu Jun 27, 2019 13:38 pm

paul64 wrote:It's because of the advice I received years ago. A mate of mine (smartest person I know, annoyingly so, double major in biology and chemistry, retired in mid 40s, paid 2 mortgages in full each in 7 years yada yada) implored me not to do it when I was still playing tennis at 40 and kept the contacts in to swim. He told me it was not just bad but seriously bad. At one of the yearly checks I owned up to the optomotrist who said no, no no and explained it was due to parasites which can still be present in pool water despite the chemical treatment. Ah I said, they get behind the lens, no he replied they get into the cellular matrix of the lens and you can go blind in 24 hours.

Now maybe, it's rare or has never happened but I have never worn lenses again in water for the subsequent 15 years. Incidentally, he added that a mate of his did a thesis on the bacteria levels in public jacuzzis and said the average jacuzzi has the same level as 10 domestiuc toilets. Sometimes in life you wish you didn't hear these things...


Feck. I guess I'll be going in with foggy vision then in future. Saying that, the goggles fog up anyway, so it can't make that much difference!
I'll still probably wear them for triathlon though, I can't be doing with putting contacts in during transition - although I suppose getting prescription sunnies would solve this...which means this thread is getting more relevant to me now.

KingstonGraham
Posts: 7206
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 19:54 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby KingstonGraham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 14:23 pm

paul64 wrote:It's because of the advice I received years ago. A mate of mine (smartest person I know, annoyingly so, double major in biology and chemistry, retired in mid 40s, paid 2 mortgages in full each in 7 years yada yada) implored me not to do it when I was still playing tennis at 40 and kept the contacts in to swim. He told me it was not just bad but seriously bad. At one of the yearly checks I owned up to the optomotrist who said no, no no and explained it was due to parasites which can still be present in pool water despite the chemical treatment. Ah I said, they get behind the lens, no he replied they get into the cellular matrix of the lens and you can go blind in 24 hours.

Now maybe, it's rare or has never happened but I have never worn lenses again in water for the subsequent 15 years. Incidentally, he added that a mate of his did a thesis on the bacteria levels in public jacuzzis and said the average jacuzzi has the same level as 10 domestiuc toilets. Sometimes in life you wish you didn't hear these things...


Even if you have well fitting goggles that don't leak, and throw the lenses away as soon as possible after getting out? No way would I be able to swim/scuba without being able to see!
and then the next thing you know

philthy3
Posts: 4994
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby philthy3 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:59 pm

g00se wrote:
philthy3 wrote:After trying varifocals for reading and not getting on with them, I went down the one day disposable contact lens route.


If you get on with those, I recommend trying the monthly disposables (you only take them out to replace once a month). Similar cost and you can see when you get up in the morning! Though that does mean you soon realise how dirty the shower is...


I had an 80+ ride yesterday, but had run out of lens sets. The Opthalmist kindly gave me some right side generic ones (the side that struggles with short distance focus) and that worked perfectly. Now I wonder if I can save some money by just buying right side lens. :D
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

janwal
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 19:46 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby janwal » Tue Jul 02, 2019 21:02 pm

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/ho ... u=30746725
I have just ordered a pair of these fitted with varifocal lenses with transitions reactolight coating £138. Which I don’t think is a bad price. They have slightly more curve than many sunglasses and are a fair bit deeper than my metal rimmed glasses I have been using. I prefer the transitions as I can wear them inside a cafe etc as the lenses change to clear glass and not have to carry a spare pair for that purpose.

HaDoKen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 13:19 pm

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby HaDoKen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 22:45 pm

has anyone ordered any glasses from...

https://kagaoptics.com/products/sensory ... 2437672985

seems to good to be true??

Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby Dannbodge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am

HaDoKen wrote:has anyone ordered any glasses from...

https://kagaoptics.com/products/sensory ... 2437672985

seems to good to be true??


I have.

They got my prescription wrong (Couldn't read a number plate unless it was less than 0.5m away), then once I emailed them about it I had no contact from them, insisting my emails haven't been received (even though I used the "reply" button) and never had a failed send report etc.

Eventually I got a refund after forcing the issue through Paypal and even then, they sent me the wrong address to send the glasses back to.

Waste of my time and effort. I'm 99% sure most of the reviews are faked as well, I left a 1 star review with them and it can't be found anywhere

Ended up buying a pair of Smith frames from RX sport and getting the inserts from another online shop (Vision3K)

fixerupper
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 07:35 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby fixerupper » Thu Jul 11, 2019 17:06 pm

Yeah contacts for me ...I use monthly disposables that I keep in 24 hours a day less than 10 euros a month . And I buy many pairs of cheap 1.50 strength reading glasses for close work ,a pair in my day bag , car , workshop.....crystal clear peripheral vision , I forget I have them in , fine for swimming , driving, welding and cycling ...They fit so well I have to remind myself to change them ...when I used glasses I trashed so many pairs.

davetex
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 am

Re: glasses v contacts

Postby davetex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 19:20 pm

I use contacts, but have recently had my prescription added to my favourite pair of cycling sunglasses by reglaze direct. Loving them so far.


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrdsgs, Peddle, thepainandsuffering and 16 guests