General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
davetex

Re: Carbon wheels delaminating?

Postby davetex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 14:15 pm

Superbikes use carbon I think, so I guess F1 could if they wanted

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 16:05 pm

ugo I run tubeless tyres on my carbon rims no issues. no issue with the team wheels either or other customers. tubeless works on carbon rims. the installer though needs to enure the tyre is seated right. For me they have always popped into place by 110 psi then I can let some air out once the tyre is seated right. As I have said some lubricant on the bead helps a lot.

What does having the wheels back mean. is the OP keeping them or sending them back.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

graememacd

Postby graememacd » Sun Aug 20, 2017 16:11 pm

I had sent them back but they're now coming back to me. I'm happy after looking again that it's not the brake track and reassurance from the wheel builder. Just need to find some dry days to ride them now...

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 16:18 pm

I think F1 cars do not use CF wheels because the spin at very high speeds putting the wheel under constant stress from the centripetal force add to that the constant impact from hitting curbs at 200 mph it is probably an accident waiting to happen.

To give an example of how tough CF is and well tubeless tyres work with them one team rider has nasty crash this year. straight into a metal barrier at speed. The wheel suffered (rider dazed but O.K) and the CF fractured. The tubeless tyre did not deflate though as the rim bed with the tape remained air tight. No part of the wheel detacthed either. All spokes remained in the spoke nipple bed. It was still wheel shaped and the tyre was removed and refitted. Tubeless and CF works. CF can fail but is a compostite it wont crumble into dust.

the reason why I have given a team some wheels is to see what happen when crashes happen. On came back after a crash and a pedal had gone through the rim. It was still straight, tyre inflated and quite rideable. try that with an alloy rim.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

JoostG

Postby JoostG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 14:01 pm

I can only advise you to be really careful with your wheel issue. Last holiday I had a same issue with a tubeless carbon rim: it was more or less "sweating" latex stationary. I checked it over and over but couldn't find an answer. But it didn't seem to offer any issues. After a beautiful climb to the top of the Col de Tentes, I went down. After a few hairpins and just a couple of times braking, I heard a loud crack whilst coming out of an hairpin. Within a second I was on the ground: the upper part of the breaking area had cracked open over 20cm. I don't know what happened, but after reading this topic I start thinking that their could be relation between the "sweating of latex" and the crash.

Trivial poursuivant

Postby Trivial poursuivant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 14:07 pm

How old are the wheels? You could threaten the shop with legal action if you can prove the wheels are not fit for purpose and the defect prevents use. Only thing that may stop this is if you can still use them as standard clinchers since they could argue that's how they were meant to be used. If they were sold as tubeless ready you may have a case.

JoostG

Postby JoostG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 14:40 pm

Trivial poursuivant wrote:How old are the wheels? You could threaten the shop with legal action if you can prove the wheels are not fit for purpose and the defect prevents use. Only thing that may stop this is if you can still use them as standard clinchers since they could argue that's how they were meant to be used. If they were sold as tubeless ready you may have a case.

The wheels are approx 2.5 years old and did between 5.000 - 7.500km (mostly in dry and flat conditions). I send pictures to the manufacturer and now I have to wait for a reaction. They were sold as tubeless ready. The hardest thing will be to determine what caused the crack. We'll see...
Next mountain adventure will be with my disc brake bike with alloy rims.

Trivial poursuivant

Postby Trivial poursuivant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 14:57 pm

JoostG wrote:
Trivial poursuivant wrote:How old are the wheels? You could threaten the shop with legal action if you can prove the wheels are not fit for purpose and the defect prevents use. Only thing that may stop this is if you can still use them as standard clinchers since they could argue that's how they were meant to be used. If they were sold as tubeless ready you may have a case.

The wheels are approx 2.5 years old and did between 5.000 - 7.500km (mostly in dry and flat conditions). I send pictures to the manufacturer and now I have to wait for a reaction. They were sold as tubeless ready. The hardest thing will be to determine what caused the crack. We'll see...

Over 2 years is a long time (you said recently) and I'll be surprised if you get anywhere. I was thinking they were a few weeks or months old. Hope you get something, I would think the 60% offer if you get it quite reasonable after the length of time you mention. They have only your word as to how well you look after them or the level of use.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 15:22 pm

Trivial poursuivant wrote:
JoostG wrote:

Over 2 years is a long time (you said recently) and I'll be surprised if you get anywhere. I was thinking they were a few weeks or months old. Hope you get something, I would think the 60% offer if you get it quite reasonable after the length of time you mention. They have only your word as to how well you look after them or the level of use.

Joost is not the OP, that's a different story.

Trivial poursuivant

Postby Trivial poursuivant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 16:31 pm

Veronese68 wrote:
Trivial poursuivant wrote:
JoostG wrote:

Joost is not the OP, that's a different story.

Just realised, confused the f*** out of me that. Well my original question to the OP if he's still reading.

graememacd

Postby graememacd » Wed Aug 23, 2017 17:08 pm

I now have the wheels back so will be paying close attention to refitting the tyres. I'm hoping it was just a tyre/rim interface issue (possible user error!?) and nothing more sinister.

Return to “Road General”