Flattest cities in the North of UK?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
shankly

Re: Flattest cities in the North of UK?

Postby shankly » Wed May 17, 2017 15:25 pm

Fenix wrote:Why do you want to know ? Are you set on moving to the flattest place ? Flat isn't the be all and end all.

It is when you're a full-time bike courier :wink: Not just for that though; I've finished uni and want to try a new city. Sheffield's a nice and safe place but it's very bland in terms of culture and economy - no graduate jobs, nothing going on really. Thought I may as well pick somewhere flat too.

Mad_Malx wrote:Admissions Tutor: Why do you want to study basketweaving at Manchester University?
Shanky: Some random people on bikeradar say the city is really flat

:lol:

bobmcstuff

Postby bobmcstuff » Wed May 17, 2017 16:48 pm

shankly wrote:
Fenix wrote:Why do you want to know ? Are you set on moving to the flattest place ? Flat isn't the be all and end all.

It is when you're a full-time bike courier :wink: Not just for that though; I've finished uni and want to try a new city. Sheffield's a nice and safe place but it's very bland in terms of culture and economy - no graduate jobs, nothing going on really. Thought I may as well pick somewhere flat too.

Mad_Malx wrote:Admissions Tutor: Why do you want to study basketweaving at Manchester University?
Shanky: Some random people on bikeradar say the city is really flat

:lol:

Do you want to be very central or slightly outside?

I've lived in centre and various suburbs, moved here when I was looking for a graduate job.

If just outside, I think you would enjoy Chorlton if you can still get a decently priced houseshare there - pretty easy cycle to the centre if that's where you'd be couriering. I lived there for nearly a year after uni when we were looking for graduate jobs, and would have stayed but we ended up both working central so went for Green Quarter (north side of the centre) for a few months, then in Castlefield (central MCR). Currently live in Didsbury but not for much longer as I'm just about to move to another suburb (will be SK postcode though this time :oops: ). I also hear Prestwich is quite cool these days, did consider moving there but it didn't help my commute so decided against it.

If centre, Green Quarter has loads of flats and there's been some new good bars etc pop up recently but when we lived there (I think 2011?) it was really dull so we didn't stay for long. Castlefield was better. Northern Quarter is where all the trendy stuff is in the centre but I don't think flats there are very cheap.

Anyway good luck - happy to answer any Qs.

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Wed May 17, 2017 17:47 pm

I moved to Greater Manchester from Sheffield. Biggest mistake I ever made - Sheffield is great, Manchester (all of its big ugly sprawl) is sh!t. I've lived in quite a few cities in the north of England and Scotland and Manchester is the sh!ttest by a long stretch.....
More problems but still living....

bobmcstuff

Postby bobmcstuff » Wed May 17, 2017 18:57 pm

amaferanga wrote:I moved to Greater Manchester from Sheffield. Biggest mistake I ever made - Sheffield is great, Manchester (all of its big ugly sprawl) is sh!t. I've lived in quite a few cities in the north of England and Scotland and Manchester is the sh!ttest by a long stretch.....

Whereabouts in Manchester? Not my experience.

Although I mainly live in Didsbury and Chorlton these days, I rarely foray into the centre any more since I no longer work there.

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Wed May 17, 2017 21:28 pm

shankly wrote:

Are you just limited to the north of the UK ? If you fancy a move after uni for cycling and jobs, how about Amsterdam or Berlin ?

Hills just take getting used to. Helps if you're slim with a big cassette and see hills as a personal challenge to overcome :D
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

ZMC888

Postby ZMC888 » Thu May 18, 2017 05:34 am

Sod the UK. Get the hell out, learn another language and get some culture.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Thu May 18, 2017 07:16 am

amaferanga wrote:I moved to Greater Manchester from Sheffield. Biggest mistake I ever made - Sheffield is great, Manchester (all of its big ugly sprawl) is sh!t. I've lived in quite a few cities in the north of England and Scotland and Manchester is the sh!ttest by a long stretch.....

You clearly need to do more research before moving. Here are a few pics of a really awful Scottish city centre cycle route, one of my dreadful commute to new New Town, and some traumatic shots of my weekend loop.

ImageCity centre

ImageMy commute

ImageWeekend loop.

Doesn't seem THAT much worse than the rest of the UK, to me.

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 am

bobmcstuff wrote:

Although I mainly live in Didsbury and Chorlton these days, I rarely foray into the centre any more since I no longer work there.

I live outside Manchester, but work in and around (including at The Christie). Can't think of much to like. It's just a big sprawl of angry motorists, yet going anywhere by bike within the city (excluding the odd segregated path) is pretty unpleasant. Couldn't be more different to Sheffield - 10mins into the Peaks and onto empty roads like the Strines.

Of course, you could say why don't I live near the Peaks then, but then I'd have to waste more of my life on the M60 to get where I need to go for work.....
More problems but still living....

bobmcstuff

Postby bobmcstuff » Thu May 18, 2017 15:33 pm

amaferanga wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:

I live outside Manchester, but work in and around (including at The Christie). Can't think of much to like. It's just a big sprawl of angry motorists, yet going anywhere by bike within the city (excluding the odd segregated path) is pretty unpleasant. Couldn't be more different to Sheffield - 10mins into the Peaks and onto empty roads like the Strines.

Of course, you could say why don't I live near the Peaks then, but then I'd have to waste more of my life on the M60 to get where I need to go for work.....

Yeah, I don't really cycle in the city centre. The segregated bike paths are puncture traps - I bike toured from the Lakes back to Manchester, got a puncture on the Oxford Road one right in front of Yates's in the p!55ing rain. I cycle up to Chorlton or the Heatons from Didsbury a lot and its totally fine though.

There is the annoying 10km at each end of a ride where there's traffic but there's some good riding in easy access - the club I ride with is pretty much exclusively hilly rides in the Peaks in the summer. I can do Blaze or Brickworks in a ~50-55km ride from my house. Aberdeen was better for cycling in some ways (5-10 mins and on country roads, and some good climbs), but there aren't the same route options as in the Peaks. England has a better density of lanes.

I agree that Manchester centre is a bit soulless, but Manchester has many positives beyond that (lots of routes from airport, easy train to London, good motorway access, access to Lakes/N Wales/N Yorkshire/Peak District etc etc etc). It's a good balance for me - and I like the bit I live in!

kleinstroker

Postby kleinstroker » Tue May 23, 2017 13:38 pm

Webboo wrote:
Andcp wrote:
Webboo wrote:..still a shithole though :lol:

I had a friend who theorised that due to its location, Hull was similar to the Galapagos Islands - evolved on it's own, separate from the rest of the world....

Until the recent crisis in the Middle East and the influx of Eastern Europeans, the largest ethnic group other than white British in Hull was Chinese. The people who ran the takeaways.
So you can imagine how culturally diverse it is, more people have been to Spain than Sheffield.
It is flatter than Manchester though by a long stretch.

No not really, there has been Chinese Seamens Mission in Hull for a long time, more to do with it being a port than a love of takeaways.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue May 23, 2017 14:19 pm

I wouldn't say York is pan flat - it does go up and down here and there but not much. Probably even flatter though is Peterborough. But you wouldn't want to choose that over York for a few fewer feet of elevation.
Faster than a tent.......

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Tue May 23, 2017 16:44 pm

kleinstroker wrote:
Webboo wrote:
Andcp wrote:
Webboo wrote:..still a shithole though :lol:

I had a friend who theorised that due to its location, Hull was similar to the Galapagos Islands - evolved on it's own, separate from the rest of the world....

Until the recent crisis in the Middle East and the influx of Eastern Europeans, the largest ethnic group other than white British in Hull was Chinese. The people who ran the takeaways.
So you can imagine how culturally diverse it is, more people have been to Spain than Sheffield.
It is flatter than Manchester though by a long stretch.

No not really, there has been Chinese Seamens Mission in Hull for a long time, more to do with it being a port than a love of takeaways.

As it was Cantonese Chinese and from a local health census, I would think it might have a degree of accuracy.

earth

Postby earth » Tue May 23, 2017 21:21 pm

Hull is quite flat

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Wed May 24, 2017 07:13 am

Hull is a centre of culture too.

Does that mean you'd want to live there?

earth

Postby earth » Fri May 26, 2017 20:36 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Hull is a centre of culture too.

Does that mean you'd want to live there?

I have lived there. It's not a centre of culture. If the people that gave it that title get their way it will be another Guardian reading twait town.

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Fri May 26, 2017 20:48 pm

Although I work in Dull I rarely spend any time in the centre. Yesterday I took my grandson to the street life museum, I think it had the same exhibits as when I took his mum at the same age. You still can't go round the trawler tied up on the dock side for some reason. I have never seen so many empty shops in one place.
However the homeless guy living in his tent with his dog outside one of the main shopping centres might be a talking point for visitors.

andydr2wheels

Postby andydr2wheels » Mon May 29, 2017 23:10 pm

Until the 1500s people thought the whole earth was flat.
:)

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue May 30, 2017 08:00 am

andydr2wheels wrote:Until the 1500s people thought the whole earth was flat.
:)

Only because they hadn't yet invented the bicycle!
Faster than a tent.......

ovi

Postby ovi » Sat Jun 03, 2017 19:00 pm

Durham is a bit hilly, Newcastle is flattish, Sunderland slightly hilly, Carlisle seems flat.

timmyotool

Postby timmyotool » Mon Jun 05, 2017 19:45 pm

Return to “Road General”