Are charity related events frowned upon in this forum ?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
displacedaussie

Re: Are charity related events frowned upon in this forum ?

Postby displacedaussie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 16:38 pm

If we keep this going we may still be alive when the sun comes up at which point we'll all be saved. Hooray!

VTech

Postby VTech » Tue Mar 12, 2013 16:56 pm

bazzer2 wrote:VTech, what makes you any different to anyone else? Respect the rules and stop whining!

Remember how much you're actually paying for the use of the forum, too.

Im not any different ? no idea why you would post that. I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.
What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

If the replies were along the lines of that from Pipini, I would have been fine with it, in fact I am still fine with it, I just dont think it right but hey, It may well be me.
Living MY dream.

bazzer2

Postby bazzer2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:23 pm

You're over reacting. Simply put, read the rules. When you want to sell something, use the proper place for it. Cash changes hands, it's a transaction, it's a sale. Just because a charidee gets some of the money doesn't mean rules are set aside.

"I'm doing a sponsored 'sit in a bath full of baked beans' and I'm doing it in Fulham High Street all day Saturday. Block the road off or you are causing cancer"... etc, etc.

heez29

Postby heez29 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:27 pm

Lol.

Posts something for sale in "buying advice" then moans why it was deleted.

Read the rules, then you will understand why your post/topic got deleted.

Off topic, are you French?

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:30 pm

heez29 wrote:Lol.

Why would he be French? Did he retire at 52?

VTech

Postby VTech » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:32 pm

I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.
What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

If the replies were along the lines of that from Pipini, I would have been fine with it, in fact I am still fine with it, I just dont think it right but hey, It may well be me.

Im not french either.
Living MY dream.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:34 pm

I didn't see the original post but the one you have just put up seems perfectly reasonable. It's often just worth a quick check first though and I'm sure then the powers that be won't mind.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Mar 12, 2013 17:59 pm

VTech wrote:I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.

You make your point very clearly - the problem is that you don't understand what others are saying very clearly. You are allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum (I did myself a few years back when I rode 10,000 miles in one year for Water Aid). What you are not allowed to do is post things for sale outside of the for sale section.

So, why do you find it so hard to understand that
a) You can promote charitable activities on this forum
b) but they have to be in appropriate sub forums. This means that if it is an item for sale, it goes in the For sale section. If it is a wacky activitiy like going for a bicycle ride without a turbo attached to the back wheel, then you can put it somewhere else appropriate like the Road General and/or Cake Stop sections. This is why there are sub forums - so that people can post appropriate topics in appropriate forums. Why is it only you that struggles so much with this concept? Do you have these sort of communication problems in the real world at all?
Faster than a tent.......

Pickled Pig

Postby Pickled Pig » Tue Mar 12, 2013 18:07 pm

VTech wrote:What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

The approaches, none of which I would call brazen*, result from you failing to understand something which is so unambiguously clear. No one is upset by your mistake in posting in the wrong forum. What is difficult to understand is why you feel the forum rules should be waived for you and why you so readily have to resort to insulting people who don't agree with you.

*Brazen: Adjective; Bold and without shame, impudent, impertinent. Do you think you are owed respect by other forum members as well as special dispensation from the forum rules? Have a look at this :wink:

VTech

Postby VTech » Tue Mar 12, 2013 18:10 pm

No, because I have now posted 2 times, YES TWO TIMES confirming that I have accepted the rule and moved on.
I think its crazy and people who do good work should be able to post where it is most effective when it is for charity but thats only my opinion.
I cant see why you guys are still insisting I should listen to forum rules when I have made it incredibly clear that I have accepted it ?
Living MY dream.

fast as fupp

Postby fast as fupp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 18:35 pm

Bob Loblaw
'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

♠ChumBucket♠

Postby ♠ChumBucket♠ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 19:42 pm

bazzer2 wrote:VTech, what makes you any different to anyone else? Respect the rules and stop whining!

Remember how much you're actually paying for the use of the forum, too.

It costs nothing to run this forum, in fact, it generates profit!

In-fact, without "members" it wouldn't exists, no forum can exists without members giving their time & knowledge for free! You are actually doing THEM the favor! :wink:
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

iPip

Postby iPip » Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:48 pm

A perfect example of the problems we now have in gB (sic). For every person trying to do just a little something for others, there's another 10 waiting to wave petty rules and regs in their face. Yes, those 10 maybe 'right', but the pettiness will slowly wear the good guys down and they'll all just give up bothering.

Well done BR, pat yourselves on the back.
Regards
Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Hybrid Comp
Voodoo Bantu

MattyyP

Postby MattyyP » Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:59 pm

Wow... What the internet does to some people. :roll:
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 21:28 pm

Reminds me of the monty python argument sketch...

marylogic

Postby marylogic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 13:25 pm

Maybe there could be a new "argument" subforum?

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 13:44 pm

marylogic wrote:Maybe there could be a new "argument" subforum?

Dont want one :)
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

heez29

Postby heez29 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 16:57 pm

bernithebiker wrote:
heez29 wrote:Lol.

Why would he be French? Did he retire at 52?

French have no rules IIRC.

cheaterkiller

Postby cheaterkiller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:19 pm

VTech wrote:A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
I'm sad for so many of you guys.

Try cyclechat.net
There seems to be less undesirable individuals on there than there is on this forum. I agree with what your saying tho. Just read this morning that a guy on holiday saved a bunch of kids from a shark and ended up getting fired for it. Apparently he was taking time off work for stress but was on holiday. Loads of 2@s out there mate. Best of luck old boy.
Cycling IS NOT full of dopists! and motorsport isnt full of women drivers!

cheaterkiller

Postby cheaterkiller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:25 pm

Rolf F wrote:
VTech wrote:I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

You make your point very clearly - the problem is that you don't understand what others are saying very clearly. You are allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum (I did myself a few years back when I rode 10,000 miles in one year for Water Aid). What you are not allowed to do is post things for sale outside of the for sale section.

So, why do you find it so hard to understand that
a) You can promote charitable activities on this forum
b) but they have to be in appropriate sub forums. This means that if it is an item for sale, it goes in the For sale section. If it is a wacky activitiy like going for a bicycle ride without a turbo attached to the back wheel, then you can put it somewhere else appropriate like the Road General and/or Cake Stop sections. This is why there are sub forums - so that people can post appropriate topics in appropriate forums. Why is it only you that struggles so much with this concept? Do you have these sort of communication problems in the real world at all?

He was under the impression that charity events were frowned upon coz his post was deleted. Had his post instead been moved to the appropriate forum (along with a private message informing him this) then his reaction most likely would have been far more positive. *****ing hell.
Cycling IS NOT full of dopists! and motorsport isnt full of women drivers!

Return to “Road General”