Big Shorts

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
8linkhorn
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 05:24 am

Big Shorts

Postby 8linkhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 20:15 pm

I have commuted in several cities and noticed a pretty standard uniform for any gender: close fitting leg wear - generally black, with something highly visible on the top half. Sleek, athletic and practical. Recently, however, when cycling in Birmingham I noticed most commuters had an almost identical uniform to this, but with one addition: a large loose pair of shorts over the trousers. Keen to investigate the possible benefits of this, I tried it out for myself on my return home. I could not appreciate any advantages to this get-up, but I did feel rather absurd and it felt like everyone I passed was either pointing, laughing or both! If anyone has seen or tried this phenomenon for themselves, please could you enlighten me as to how and why this has evolved, and whether I’m missing something (apart from the big shorts!). Ta

User avatar
Wolfsbane2k
Posts: 2840
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:54 pm

What do you mean by "Big Shorts"?
MTB Style Baggies, that look like 3/4 length cargo shortS? (Endura Humveee as an example)

I find many who chain trips together, such as to the shops on their way to/from work or somewhere for a pint will wear baggies, on the basis that this seems a bit more "normal", and stops some of the perceived stares that you can get in the shopping cue with the figure hugging shorts and pad (aka pant liner by some) putting too much on show.

I wear baggies because I've do the above.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

User avatar
monkimark
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 16:38 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby monkimark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:06 pm

How big were these 'big' shorts.

I wear mtb shorts for my commute, can't say that I've ever been overly concerned about people finding them ridiculous. They look a lot more 'normal' than figure hugging lycra.

8linkhorn
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 05:24 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby 8linkhorn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 20:10 pm

Those sound like the ones I mean, so it is purely an aesthetic thing I guess.
I would still reckon they look less ‘normal’ when it is obvious you have arrived on a bike. I have personally never perceived stares without the shorts, nor considered it unusual seeing someone else similarly clad at the checkout.
Each to their own ‘ey.

MrB123
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 16:12 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby MrB123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 20:21 pm

Some people worry about these things...
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker

8linkhorn
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 05:24 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby 8linkhorn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 05:37 am

MrB123 wrote:Some people worry about these things...
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker

Blimey!

mrfpb
Posts: 3884
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby mrfpb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 05:49 am

Personally I never wear lycra shorts for commuting. Always baggies or chino types. It's not a race, at least it's not on the Basingstoke Canal school run.

Gallywomack
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 16:37 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby Gallywomack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 08:56 am

I wear officially-designated "Urban" shorts on my commute. They aren't what I'd call big, but they are not skin tight and could be worn in supermarket or pub without the least fear of embarrassment, were it not for the fact that I once wore them mountain-biking on a wet day in Wales, permanently staining the backside a fetching shade of yellowy-brown (this is what happens when you wear urban shorts in a non-urban environment).

Edit: my commute IS a race, but I run flats, so wear trainers, and long study of the sartorial habits of the London commuter has shown me that lycra + trainers is not a good look. Some may argue that use of flat pedals belies a lack of serious SCR intent, but a) I like to use the bike in street clothes from time to time, and b) I can still ride quite fast with flat pedals on.

elbowloh
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 13:53 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby elbowloh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Where whatever the hell you want on your commute. Shouldn't matter to anyone else.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby PBlakeney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:09 pm

MrB123 wrote:Some people worry about these things...
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker

You say that, but my wife has effectively banned me from wearing my new CHPT3 shorts in public for this very reason. Bloody comfy they are too. She does have a point though...
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Gallywomack
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 16:37 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby Gallywomack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:40 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
MrB123 wrote:Some people worry about these things...
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker

You say that, but my wife has effectively banned me from wearing my new CHPT3 shorts in public for this very reason. Bloody comfy they are too. She does have a point though...


So do you by the sound of it...

User avatar
anonymousblackfg
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 17:07 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby anonymousblackfg » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Its a good film, especially the bit with Steve Carell in the strip club.
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

thistle (MBNW)
Posts: 2596
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 17:37 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 06:26 am

Baggies are fine for commuting, I'm not sure about baggies over trousers though?
I'll wear them over a base layer in winter if it's sub zero, or over biblongs if I'm going MTB in the winter.

User avatar
itboffin
Posts: 19451
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Big Shorts

Postby itboffin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 22:45 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
MrB123 wrote:Some people worry about these things...
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker

You say that, but my wife has effectively banned me from wearing my new CHPT3 shorts in public for this very reason. Bloody comfy they are too. She does have a point though...


What if some see's the outline of your parts you're going to run off and shag them and or have an affair?

I'd ask for dinner and drinks first
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Big Shorts

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 05:45 am

Sage advice indeed coming from the guy with stains in his bibs shorts.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

8linkhorn
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 05:24 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby 8linkhorn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 21:47 pm

Gallywomack wrote:I wear officially-designated "Urban" shorts on my commute. They aren't what I'd call big, but they are not skin tight and could be worn in supermarket or pub without the least fear of embarrassment, were it not for the fact that I once wore them mountain-biking on a wet day in Wales, permanently staining the backside a fetching shade of yellowy-brown (this is what happens when you wear urban shorts in a non-urban environment).

Edit: my commute IS a race, but I run flats, so wear trainers, and long study of the sartorial habits of the London commuter has shown me that lycra + trainers is not a good look. Some may argue that use of flat pedals belies a lack of serious SCR intent, but a) I like to use the bike in street clothes from time to time, and b) I can still ride quite fast with flat pedals on.


Lycra + trainers = what millions of runners exercise in every day. Look fine to me...

Long Time Lurker
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 09:00 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby Long Time Lurker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 06:53 am

8linkhorn wrote:Lycra + trainers = what millions of runners exercise in every day. Look fine to me...

That depends. I had to follow a rather large gent in lycra on the commute home last night. Not a pretty sight.
Kept trying to get round him but he kept drafting me and passing me on the hills.

Wouldn't want anyone else to endure that - hence why I wear bib-shorts with baggies over the top.
2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)

8linkhorn
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 05:24 am

Re: Big Shorts

Postby 8linkhorn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 21:39 pm

So the bike fashion designers have missed a trick. If I design a cycling top that is long enough at the front to cover ones gender specifics, I could make my first million!


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests