Spiked tyres for ice

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Wolfsbane2k

Re: Spiked tyres for ice

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Wed Oct 03, 2018 15:14 pm

greenamex2 wrote:
Wolfsbane2k wrote:Watch the weather, get a cheap external thermometer and humidity sensor at home.

Can't stress this one highly enough! Being an ex motorcyclist, had something like this for decades. Checking the weather app on your phone just before leaving can also make things more comfortable...but is always interesting how widely the "phone" temperature and actual temperature differ.

The coldest I have been out in (so far!) is -5 degrees C. Just a matter of thought and preparation.

And heated electric gloves!

Yeah, I can't do without my smart mirror in the kitchen. Wunderground's damn useful too, especially if know exactly where local stations are installed (both physically on a map, but also physically - are they in clear air, how high they are, are they sheltered from wind in a certain direction, quality of installation of sensors etc) , and therefore how relevant/accurate they actually are.

According to my calibrated sensor at home ( yes, I'm a geek) , BOTE got to -8C locally, adding windchill made it -16C.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 19:52 pm

Rhodrich wrote:If they make the difference between being able to cycle to work, and having to take the train, they're worth the storage cost for me. Even with about 10 days use in total over the last 3 years or so, mine have easily paid for themselves in train fare costs. Then again, I think I paid about £20 for the pair for mine, as I bought them from a guy on LFGSS who'd bought and never fitted them.

you bleeding townies we had several months of ice and deep snow this year, ice for 2+ months is a dead cert here every year.

I suggest moving house to the west country you know to justify purchasing spiked tyres :roll:
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Thu Oct 04, 2018 05:30 am

Makes the world of difference as to where you live. When I was a Highland commuter, I could be on ice tyres nearly every day from late November to April. Part of the problem up there is not so much the extremes of cold or the amount of snow but that the temp during the day never gets very high so the ground temp remains very low. My rule of thumb was ice on car means ice on the road. When I moved to Wilts, this was too conservative.

As I’ve said loads of times before (sorry folks) I much preferred Ice Spiker Pros on my MTB to Marathon Winters on a CXer which weight nearly 1kg each and are nowhere near as safe.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Seajays

Postby Seajays » Thu Oct 04, 2018 07:40 am

Yeah I use ice spikes in winter because the vast majority of my route is on untreated cycle path (an old railway line). Left it a bit late last year to switch, and hit sheet ice which was just like glass on my normal tyres. Went over and slid for about 10 yards, whilst the bike carried on another five yards ahead of me!

Fortunately as it was so smooth, no damage to clothing or bike and just a bit of a bump. Couldn't actually stand up on the stuff however, had to slide myself over to the grass verge!

Ice spike tyres go across this stuff as if there's nothing there, so I run them most of the winter once the icy mornings start up here (actually I have them on my hybrid so I can simply take the right bike for the weather!).
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

greenamex2

Postby greenamex2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 08:46 am

meanredspider wrote:As I’ve said loads of times before (sorry folks) I much preferred Ice Spiker Pros on my MTB to Marathon Winters on a CXer which weight nearly 1kg each and are nowhere near as safe.

Ice Spiker Pro's don't look like they would be much could for our southern softy snow. Even when it does snow half the roads don't have any covering and it all disappears by the evening.

inbike

Postby inbike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 09:05 am

There aren't many Highlands in Zone 1.

I'm worried about small patches of ice where the gritting has been uneven, or where ice is hidden under soft slush.

Will the Snow Studs be ok for that? Or are full studs really required?

greenamex2

Postby greenamex2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 09:50 am

inbike wrote:There aren't many Highlands in Zone 1.

I'm worried about small patches of ice where the gritting has been uneven, or where ice is hidden under soft slush.

The question is probably "will snow studs be OK for the rest of the road/cycle path that doesn't have any snow/ice"?

Would also be interested in the answer...as I don't currently have a bike that can take the much wider Ice Spiker Pro's...could justify a new one!!!!!

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 am

inbike wrote:There aren't many Highlands in Zone 1.

The snow studs are fine if you don't want to turn on ice, in my experience.

Once I'd learnt that, I still used them for the rest of the winter, I was just a little more cautious when I knew I was on sheet ice...
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

inbike

Postby inbike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am

Wolfsbane2k wrote:The snow studs are fine if you don't want to turn on ice, in my experience.

Cheers. It's generally always possible to find a visibly clear/dry bit of road to manouver on down here. So sounds like it'll work.

Return to “Commuting Chat”