Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
TonyJams

Re: Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Postby TonyJams » Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:Jawbreaker can be had for about 100 brand new from some sellers (red/black frame with prizm lens) but take a while to arrive.

£96 today with prizm road and trail lenses included, 3 pairs, ex display models I think on Bikesy
Also seen Trillbe iridiums on offer for £54 if you need to stick closer to the budget

While you're getting ideas also do a search on there for Smith Sunglasses - the Pivlock one piece wraparounds are something you dont see out every day of the week and are only a tenner more than your original budget

kingdav

Postby kingdav » Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:They do look ace on and the good thing with interchangeable lenses is you can put genuine ones in.

Only downside is they can be very brittle, so can crack lenses if the machining isn't perfect or snap when putting them into your helmet.

I have a number of aliexpress homage shades all probably < $15
1. POC do blade copies, loved them... One of the arms snapped though and that was that. They were brittle.
2. Frogskins, bit dodgy on the details so don't look very real. The iridium is a bit oily looking and there is a squashed O on the lens which I'm not sure should be there.
3. I have a couple of pairs of homage radar ev in different colours been very happy with these. Only problem is the rubber on the arms seem to peel away, might attack them with the copydex.
4. Cavendish/green jawbreakers, fun to wear but a bit huge so I don't often choose them.
5. jawbones/white with blue lens (think G). I do like these, I snapped an arm but bought another pair so I could use the remaining bits as spares.

Seeing them all listed like that I realise that's 7 pairs and I could have bought some real ones. I did own some nice frogskins back in the day, but left them in a beer garden and haven't shelled out for pricey sunnies since and I quite enjoy having a variety to choose from even if they are not going to last forever.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Thu May 24, 2018 13:45 pm

I have some fake radarlocks or something and bought an original lens which cracked just above the bridge of the nose as the frames were too stiff/brittle.

Now I have some genuine jawbreakers are they are awesome - although I sweat like hell and the salt marks the lenses which is a nuisance but not the end of the world. Don't think there's much I can do to avoid that.

I have to say that even though they are quite large, then look pretty great 'on' with cycling garb. On their own, less so. Does slightly depend what shape head you have and I think they look best if you don't have a gap between the top of the frame and your cap/helmet.

avababy24

Postby avababy24 » Thu May 24, 2018 14:55 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:I have some fake radarlocks or something and bought an original lens which cracked just above the bridge of the nose as the frames were too stiff/brittle.

Now I have some genuine jawbreakers are they are awesome - although I sweat like hell and the salt marks the lenses which is a nuisance but not the end of the world. Don't think there's much I can do to avoid that.

I have to say that even though they are quite large, then look pretty great 'on' with cycling garb. On their own, less so. Does slightly depend what shape head you have and I think they look best if you don't have a gap between the top of the frame and your cap/helmet.

Apply a light coating of washing-up liquid to the lens surfaces helps prevent misting from sweat etc.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Thu May 24, 2018 15:08 pm

It's not so much the misting, although that does happen a bit when I stop, it's the blobs of sweat running down the lenses which leave salt marks.

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Thu May 24, 2018 18:19 pm

redvee wrote:Email came through a few minutes with a text code and a QR code which means keeping the email or saving the QR code to an app on your phone.

Can you use the BC code online with other discounts, e.g. the £15 off £100?

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Thu May 24, 2018 21:35 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:It's not so much the misting, although that does happen a bit when I stop, it's the blobs of sweat running down the lenses which leave salt marks.

Wear a peaked cap on hot/climbing days. Counter intuitive but the sweat drops fall past your nose.The more rapid the dripping is almost recognition of effort.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

redvee

Postby redvee » Fri May 25, 2018 00:48 am

Argos doing Hero5 Session for £129

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5994063
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

TimothyW

Postby TimothyW » Fri May 25, 2018 05:46 am

20% off team Zwatt crank powermeters with code 'Pre-Summer Sale'
https://shop.teamzwatt.com/product/zpider-power-meter/

Comes out at €329.85 shipped to UK for the Zpider, plus 24x€4.28 maintenance payments over the first two years (you need to upload one ride to them each month, should be easy enough)

So that's €432.57 altogether - about £380.

It takes the new standard 4 bolt shimano chainrings, which is one thing to put it ahead of the FSA powerbox which can be had for £400 (and obviously there is less upfront cost for the Zpider).

I decided to avoid both as switching my bikes over to 30mm bottom brackets looked like too much of a job in itself, but if I was buying for just one bike that'd be very tempting.

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri May 25, 2018 05:50 am

redvee wrote:Argos doing Hero5 Session for £129

Jessops 119, using a code (check hkud for details)
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

NitrousOxide

Postby NitrousOxide » Fri May 25, 2018 06:23 am

================
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Fri May 25, 2018 06:44 am

PBlakeney wrote:
Shirley Basso wrote:It's not so much the misting, although that does happen a bit when I stop, it's the blobs of sweat running down the lenses which leave salt marks.

Wear a peaked cap on hot/climbing days. Counter intuitive but the sweat drops fall past your nose.The more rapid the dripping is almost recognition of effort.

Makes no difference. Trust me. Sweat builds up behind the glasses and specks flick onto the lenses. I wear a peaked cap every ride.

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri May 25, 2018 09:28 am

Shirley Basso wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:

Makes no difference. Trust me. Sweat builds up behind the glasses and specks flick onto the lenses. I wear a peaked cap every ride.

I'm in the same boat, and hate it. I wear glasses all the time, and I have to give them a damn good clean every day...
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

TimothyW

Postby TimothyW » Fri May 25, 2018 09:41 am

I'm not immune to this phenomenon as a big lad, but I'd suggest if sweat is dripping on your glasses in the normal course of riding you are wearing too many clothes.

I only tend to notice this phenomenon when I've stopped (and I'm not getting cooled by the breeze as I ride along).

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Fri May 25, 2018 09:42 am

Summer shorts and summer t shirt.

Not much I can do, really?

I just have a sweaty face. Lucky I don't have a sweaty back or armpits, though.

BMXboy10

Postby BMXboy10 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 am

Just ordered this pump as mine is useless. Ordered as I liked the valve fitment and the 50% discount!

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/625617.html

Dinyull

Postby Dinyull » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 am

Shirley Basso wrote:Summer shorts and summer t shirt.

Not much I can do, really?

I just have a sweaty face. Lucky I don't have a sweaty back or armpits, though.

Jim Leighton vaseline. Job done.

mamil314

Postby mamil314 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am

Wolfsbane2k wrote:

Does Argos review section work for you for this camera?

MTB-Idle

Postby MTB-Idle » Fri May 25, 2018 15:06 pm

PBlakeney wrote:

Second this. I don't think I sweat more than average but the discomfort of sweat in my eyes annoyed me for ages, literally years until I started wearing un casquette under my lid.

Keeps your head warmer on cool days, shades the sun on hot days, collects sweat/avoids it dripping in your eyes on hot days, makes you look totes cool at cafe stops (although the girls in my office would disagree with this point) etc. the benefits are endless for something you can pick up for less than a tenner.

Summer and winter options also available...
FCN = 4

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Fri May 25, 2018 15:30 pm

mamil314 wrote:
Wolfsbane2k wrote:

Does Argos review section work for you for this camera?

https://roubaixcycling.cc/2018/03/09/go ... ni-marvel/
My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
Facebook? No. Just say no.

Return to “Commuting Chat”