Your rants here.

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
KingstonGraham

Re: Your rants here.

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 am

So they aren't too close if you don't panic?
and then the next thing you know

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 am

KingstonGraham wrote:So they aren't too close if you don't panic?

"if they don't force you to deviate from your path, the driving didn't affect you, and therefore fails to meet the criteria for "evading a collision"
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:02 am

pangolin wrote:"Because I didn't deviate my path"

What does that mean? You didn't swerve left in fear?

Basically, Yep - they didn't force me to take evading action to avoid a collision.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am

Haha! That is nuts! At least you know what you need to do in order to get them to take action next time...
Genesis Croix de Fer
Cube Attain

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Wolfsbane2k wrote:

"if they don't force you to deviate from your path, the driving didn't affect you, and therefore fails to meet the criteria for "evading a collision"

Maybe for "Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users" which "is committed only when other persons are inconvenienced by the manner of the defendant's driving". But "driving without due care and attention" - this specifically includes "driving inappropriately close to another vehicle" in the charging guidance. Also says " in cases of careless driving the prosecution need not show that any other person was inconvenienced."

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

pangolin wrote:Haha! That is nuts! At least you know what you need to do in order to get them to take action next time...

Nope. 1 of these I called out as aI swung away from the vehicle and into a pothole, and that's still no action.

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 pm

KingstonGraham wrote:
Wolfsbane2k wrote:

Maybe for "Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users" which "is committed only when other persons are inconvenienced by the manner of the defendant's driving".

Yep - that's what they're referring to.
KingstonGraham wrote:
But "driving without due care and attention" - this specifically includes "driving inappropriately close to another vehicle" in the charging guidance. Also says " in cases of careless driving the prosecution need not show that any other person was inconvenienced."

Indeed.

Basically, it's complete and utter BS, and they are deliberately being obstructive.

I've called out both of those CPS guidelines in complaints before, and been told "they are but guidelines, we don't have to stick to them".

awavey

Postby awavey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 22:43 pm

thistle (MBNW) wrote:
awavey wrote:finding someone had left a bunch of "number 2s" on the cycle path, right at the point the cycle path turns 90 degrees left across the shared path and you are kind of funneled into the cycle path regardless, didnt seem that randomly left imo

Human or canine?

my reaction yesterday was it was more human than canine, albeit a human with some problems :) today cos its still there but dried out more,it looks alot more canine in origin, but this path is right next to a primary school that would normally be used by all the kids going to school, so yeah schools have broken up for summer now...

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 06:52 am

Wolfsbane2k wrote:I've called out both of those CPS guidelines in complaints before, and been told "they are but guidelines, we don't have to stick to them".
Like the guidelines for cycle path design :roll:

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 06:59 am

Rant/bit of advice wanted.

One of my usual routes to work is along part of the national cycle network. It's a reasonably good section - smooth, straight and open (not so good when it's windy though).
Over the last 12 months, about the time that I ride in to work there is a now a woman walking a dog who is deliberately blocking cyclists from getting past. In the past her dog has run out in front of me several times but it's now on a lead, albeit a 5 m long one.
This morning I saw her force 2 cyclists coming towards here to an almost stop before they went off the tarmac to go around her.
I rang my bell as I was coming up behind her and got no response, shouted good morning and no response again. By then I'd slowed to almost a track stand behind her and say "excuse me can I come though" and I just get an earful about I should've rung my bell (her usual line).

Who should I be reporting this to in the vain hope that something might change? Sustrans? The police? The council's antisocial behaviour people?

XBNM

Postby XBNM » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:30 am

I gave up on a bell years ago and now resort to a confident excuse me please and thank you very much after they move/control their dog as i pass.

When i give up on talking to my regular idiots (for some reason all black lab owners including one who let his dog run off the lead on an unlit path in the dark) usually after asking them if there insured.

I hand them a copy of the below article which seems to focus some minds particularly if they have a lead that's really hard to see they get advised of that too.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/cycl ... 24006.html

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:37 am

Whenever I ride up behind someone(happens a lot this time of year on back roads around here as lots of tourist) I just shout "BIKE" to alert them and then a thank you as I go past. Some poor buggers do jump a bit in surprise but usually then give a nervous laugh.

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:37 am

delete duplicate post.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am

Shoot the dog, then she will have no reason to be walking there. If she gets a new dog, repeat until she learns that actions have consequences.

Follow this advice and the bonus is you also learn this lesson.

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 21:01 pm

XBNM wrote:I hand them a copy of the below article which seems to focus some minds particularly if they have a lead that's really hard to see they get advised of that too.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/cycl ... 24006.html

Ha, might try that one.

XBNM

Postby XBNM » Wed Aug 07, 2019 07:53 am

Tried to find this yesterday anyway Kennel club guidance

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/8277/law.pdf

page 7 is the relevant page

awavey

Postby awavey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 21:01 pm

thought the roads seemed to have quietened down due to school holidays lately, but tonights commute home, every other bleedin' car was overtaking within a foot of me and sometimes then even block passing me driving straight to the kerb in front of me, or going for it when the car in front had actually alreadystopped, the only thing I could think of was causing it was, a strong head wind home and I was only hitting a 13mph average, it suddenly puts me in the not quite fast enough to pause before considering an overtake, but not slow enough to pass safely for the MGIFS

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Fri Aug 09, 2019 20:24 pm

One for Wolfsbane - Hampshire has been listed as the worst place to ride with 10% of all injury accidents involving cyclists last year occurred in. ... Hampshire ...
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/178262 ... -cyclists/

Yet the Police won't do anything about the close passes like loads of the other forces around the country ... ? Are they nuts?

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 20:51 pm

Slowbike wrote:One for Wolfsbane - Hampshire has been listed as the worst place to ride with 10% of all injury accidents involving cyclists last year occurred in. ... Hampshire ...

Yet the Police won't do anything about the close passes like loads of the other forces around the country ... ? Are they nuts?

I live on the border of Hampshire Wilts and Berks i personally think all three are terrible and not just as a cyclist, even driving feels like the cannonball run
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

NitrousOxide

Postby NitrousOxide » Fri Aug 09, 2019 20:55 pm

Slowbike wrote:One for Wolfsbane - Hampshire has been listed as the worst place to ride with 10% of all injury accidents involving cyclists last year occurred in. ... Hampshire ...

Read that article earlier and it really does not surprise me at all, the average population density of the whole county isn't that high IIRC, but it is super dense along the south coast around Southampton and Portsmouth and barely a sole lives up in the hills between Owslebury and Petersfield in relative terms.

I used to drive a very similar journey across Southampton to the cycle commute I do now and the drive used to take forever both ways, because there were and and still are so many driving these short distances... It's far quicker by bike even without jumping red lights, riding on non-shared pavements, without having ever passed a proficiency test or paying road tax, before talking about the positive effects it has on my mental and physical well-being!

So many of them see bus lanes, the vast number of traffic lights and naughty cyclists as the cause of why their journeys are so slow, completely in denial that it is the number of them using motor vehicles for short trips in a city with a road layout that was never designed to cope with this much traffic... And sadly the vulnerable cyclists get the brunt of this frustration, rather than the 1.5 metres they should be getting during overtakes.
================
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Return to “Commuting Chat”