Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Kingstonian
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 21:14 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Kingstonian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 20:44 pm

Headwind was a bit heavier than expected tonight, was dripping with sweat by the time I got home

Norks74
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Norks74 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 21:02 pm

Kingstonian wrote:Headwind was a bit heavier than expected tonight, was dripping with sweat by the time I got home


It's the time of year too where what's needed in the morning clothes-wise is pretty different to the home run for me. Was dribbling all over myself homeways this eve at a very slow pace in a long sleeved jersey. Next few days look very nice though weatherwise down in the south. Wind swinging around but hopefully quite benign. And lots of sun!

User avatar
Cruff
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 23:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Cruff » Wed Sep 11, 2019 21:40 pm

Down in That London on a training course this week. Did a base ride tonight round RP, then planned to do Hyde Park but the route I usually do was closed so did Serpentine then down past museums, Cromwell Rd and then Victoria Embankment. Ye Gods - the traffic is ten times worse than I remembered :o

Despatched anyone I encountered (somewhat unfairly as was on race bike) but the level of f**kwit riding seems to have been taken up a notch (perhaps in keeping with the traffic lunacy)
Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Transplanted Laaandoner.

User avatar
cjcp
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 13:09 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby cjcp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 05:27 am

Cruff wrote:Down in That London on a training course this week. Did a base ride tonight round RP, then planned to do Hyde Park but the route I usually do was closed so did Serpentine then down past museums, Cromwell Rd and then Victoria Embankment. Ye Gods - the traffic is ten times worse than I remembered :o

Despatched anyone I encountered (somewhat unfairly as was on race bike) but the level of f**kwit riding seems to have been taken up a notch (perhaps in keeping with the traffic lunacy)


Yep, that's about right, although have a wander along the segregated bike lane from Westminster to the Tower of London to see the pedestrians enter the fray*.






* Don't do this. :|
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

User avatar
cjcp
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 13:09 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby cjcp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 05:30 am

Norks74 wrote:
Kingstonian wrote:Headwind was a bit heavier than expected tonight, was dripping with sweat by the time I got home


It's the time of year too where what's needed in the morning clothes-wise is pretty different to the home run for me. Was dribbling all over myself homeways this eve at a very slow pace in a long sleeved jersey. Next few days look very nice though weatherwise down in the south. Wind swinging around but hopefully quite benign. And lots of sun!


Was told last night by a fellow commuter that he couldn't believe the amount of sweat coming off me. That was before the snot started to fly.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 8271
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 07:50 am

Over cooked it this morning in RP. Well, actually it was my general physics calculations that failed me. Coming down Broomfield with some slow moving traffic in front I move to the right lane on the right hander to over take, I start to pass the last vehicle, a flat bed, as we approach the left hander and I can see a car coming the other way. It felt like the truck accelerated but it probably didn't or if it did it was just gravity and I can't see the car coming the other way any more. I brake. So does the truck so we are still level. I can't scrub speed off quickly enough to get back in behind so I spy a gentle ramp in the grass on the right and take some impromptu CX practice.

Conclusion; I got a bit carried away, made a poor judgement and ended up looking an ars*. Fortunately that's all.
Last edited by Asprilla on Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

User avatar
cjcp
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 13:09 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby cjcp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:02 am

I haven't the energy to get up Dark Hill in order to ride down Broomfield in the morning.

Close pass less less than half a mile from my house, plus a dirty look to boot to suggest I'm taking up the road.

Complete sense of humour failure.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

m00k
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:58 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby m00k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:02 am

Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...

m00k
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:58 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby m00k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:04 am

Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 8271
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:05 am

m00k wrote:
Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...


He must have been on a recovery day.

cjcp wrote:I haven't the energy to get up Dark Hill in order to ride down Broomfield in the morning.


Pen Ponds is closed that the moment isn't it? Must put paid to your Spankers loops.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

User avatar
cjcp
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 13:09 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby cjcp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:38 am

Asprilla wrote:
m00k wrote:
Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...


He must have been on a recovery day.

cjcp wrote:I haven't the energy to get up Dark Hill in order to ride down Broomfield in the morning.


Pen Ponds is closed that the moment isn't it? Must put paid to your Spankers loops.


It is, and it does. Grrr.

And also for my loops with the youngest. Double grrr.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

User avatar
rower63
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby rower63 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:46 am

Asprilla wrote: I start to pass the last vehicle, a flat bed, as we approach the left hander and I can see a car coming the other way. It felt like the truck accelerated but it probably didn't or if it did it was just gravity and I can't see the car coming the other way any more. I brake. So does the truck so we are still level. I can't scrub speed off quickly enough to get back in behind to a spy a gentle ramp in the grass on the right and take some impromptu CX practice...

If you had started to pass that truck and then found yourself making no progress then it must have accelerated - you are more aerodynamic than a flat-bed I think. Why would it then brake if it had a clear road in front of it? It sounds not unfeasible the driver was having a bit of sport with your life...
Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
Ridley Noah FAST 2013
Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html

User avatar
cjcp
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 13:09 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby cjcp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:49 am

Was the truck delivering materials to the road repair site? If not, what was the truck doing there?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 8271
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:56 am

rower63 wrote:
Asprilla wrote: I start to pass the last vehicle, a flat bed, as we approach the left hander and I can see a car coming the other way. It felt like the truck accelerated but it probably didn't or if it did it was just gravity and I can't see the car coming the other way any more. I brake. So does the truck so we are still level. I can't scrub speed off quickly enough to get back in behind to a spy a gentle ramp in the grass on the right and take some impromptu CX practice...

If you had started to pass that truck and then found yourself making no progress then it must have accelerated - you are more aerodynamic than a flat-bed I think. Why would it then brake if it had a clear road in front of it? It sounds not unfeasible the driver was having a bit of sport with your life...


Not unfeasible, but I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt. When I started the whole manoeuvre I figured it was going to be quite close. Could simply be that he braked for the right hander which is when I was calculating whether I could make it, took his foot off the brake between the corners and then braked again for the left hander.

cjcp wrote:Was the truck delivering materials to the road repair site? If not, what was the truck doing there?


No idea. He slowed for deer by the side of the road between there and Robin Hood RBT so I was back on the road and then past all off the traffic including him well before the he would have turned off. There have been a lot of commercial vehicles in the park recently. Actually saw some Rozzers there yesterday, probably the first time in a year.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Pearcy
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 22:01 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Pearcy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 09:01 am

Asprilla wrote:
m00k wrote:
Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...


He must have been on a recovery day.

Fairly hard to be mistaken :lol:

Seem to recall passing a few cars along priory and dispatching the guy in the orange poc helmet that wasn’t rower63.

TGOTB
Posts: 4660
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 15:16 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby TGOTB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 09:26 am

Norks74 wrote:It's the time of year too where what's needed in the morning clothes-wise is pretty different to the home run for me. Was dribbling all over myself homeways this eve at a very slow pace in a long sleeved jersey.

We have this exact conversation every September: Arm warmers (and a gilet if necessary).

In the hope of pre-empting the conversation we have every October: Leg warmers.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Kingstonian
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 21:14 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Kingstonian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 09:48 am

Pen Ponds being closed led me to doing a bit of CX action on my home last night, most annoying as I was already late

Kingstonian
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 21:14 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Kingstonian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 09:52 am

On the point of commercial vehicles in RP, there are loads of them every morning. It really can't be that hard for a rozzer to be on the road between Kingston Gate and Richmond Gate from 7am for a couple of hours and pull them over (get them to park up in Pembroke Lodge car park) and whack them with a ticket. It would only take doing that for a few days to cut the numbers down

-Dash
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby -Dash » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 am

Asprilla wrote:
m00k wrote:
Asprilla wrote:Think I was behind Pearcy in the park this morning.


One does not *think* they are behind Pearcy, the calves are a dead give-away ;)

..that and the pace...


He must have been on a recovery day.

cjcp wrote:I haven't the energy to get up Dark Hill in order to ride down Broomfield in the morning.


Pen Ponds is closed that the moment isn't it? Must put paid to your Spankers loops.

Closed? It was open Tuesday morning though I did see an orange hivis vest man with a bicycle parked against the gates after the turning for the ballet school stopping riders coming down the hill for some reason or another. He didn't stop me coming up.

Kingstonian wrote:On the point of commercial vehicles in RP, there are loads of them every morning. It really can't be that hard for a rozzer to be on the road between Kingston Gate and Richmond Gate from 7am for a couple of hours and pull them over (get them to park up in Pembroke Lodge car park) and whack them with a ticket. It would only take doing that for a few days to cut the numbers down

I have seen them doing this occasionally but generally after 8am and it seems to take them 15mins+ to deal with one driver. Meanwhile lots more are driving by.

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 8271
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am

-Dash wrote:Closed? It was open Tuesday morning though I did see an orange hivis vest man with a bicycle parked against the gates after the turning for the ballet school stopping riders coming down the hill for some reason or another. He didn't stop me coming up.


11th to the 14th for road repairs. Barriers across the road by the ballet school end of the car park, on the road down to Robin Hood gate and also on the shared path junction heading towards Ham Cross. A bit of judicious CX taking the gravel paths at either end of the car park means it's not really a problem for those heading from Sheen Cross to Ham Cross.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoubaixMB, Wolfsbane2k and 25 guests