What to eat during long trainings

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
ivanoile

What to eat during long trainings

Postby ivanoile » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:21 pm

So this year I will have to train more than last year cause I moved to another catogorie.So I'm interested what is good to eat during longer trainings,something simple that can be done at home or something cheap form etc. Wiggle.
And of course what is good to eat during races?
For races I thought some SiS bars or similar but for training I would like something home made that fits in rear pocket.
As I don't have much expirence with long races(I only raced in 60-70km races,but this year distance is about 120-130km)

ivanoile

Re: What to eat during long trainings

Postby ivanoile » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:26 pm

Uh,I also forgot to ask,what is good to eat after hard rides?I saw that few riders take proteins after trainings.

Simon E

Postby Simon E » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:09 pm

If you don't want to pay through the nose then go to the supermarket, not Wiggle.

Training - flapjacks, bananas, Snickers, Eat Natural or Nak'd bars, fig rolls, raisins or dried apricots.

Racing - stuff that you can & digest easily, low in fat. Energy drink (or flat coke), gels or jelly babies if the race is long enough.

After training have a banana milkshake, scrambled eggs or tuna & pasta but also get lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. A recovery shake can help if you have consecutive days of heavy training or races.
Aspire not to have more, but to be more.

team47b

Postby team47b » Sun Jan 20, 2013 08:03 am

During a long session you need about 30-60grams of carbs per hour (the body can only process about 60 max so don't overdo it) I suggest real food not processed, mix of simple and complex carbs.

After a long session eat protein with carbohydrate within thirty minutes of exercise this will really increase your insulin response which will restore your glycogen stores in your muscles and liver. The best combination is 4:1 four grams of carbohydrate for every one gram of protein.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 am

team47b wrote:During a long session you need about 30-60grams of carbs per hour (the body can only process about 60 max so don't overdo it) I suggest real food not processed, mix of simple and complex carbs.

After a long session eat protein with carbohydrate within thirty minutes of exercise this will really increase your insulin response which will restore your glycogen stores in your muscles and liver. The best combination is 4:1 four grams of carbohydrate for every one gram of protein.

What do you mean by a long session?

team47b

Postby team47b » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am

Sorry should have qualified my suggestion with...

assuming you have a good diet and you have eaten before setting off most people can go 90 minutes before all glucose in system is used up and glycogen stores emptied and will then need to replenish glucose at around 30-60 grams of carbs per hour etc

Disclaimer...obviously this is an average and doesn't take into account serious hills/headwinds/fitness levels/weight/diabetes/number of days in a row and was a suggestion to the question about the unspecified length of the "during long trainings" asked.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 am

rule #91 - no food on training rides under four hours.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

team47b wrote:Sorry should have qualified my suggestion with...

assuming you have a good diet and you have eaten before setting off most people can go 90 minutes before all glucose in system is used up and glycogen stores emptied and will then need to replenish glucose at around 30-60 grams of carbs per hour etc

Disclaimer...obviously this is an average and doesn't take into account serious hills/headwinds/fitness levels/weight/diabetes/number of days in a row and was a suggestion to the question about the unspecified length of the "during long trainings" asked.

I think you will find it is more like 2 hours even if you have not eaten for 12 hours. Almost all the tests are done on fasted subjects so they have not eaten for 12 hours, and even then there are no performance benefits for 90 minutes to about 2 hours. If you had eaten closer to the session you would not require carbs for even longer.

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 am

Here we go again...
Do us a favour and modulate yourself out of the window.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:

I think you will find it is more like 2 hours even if you have not eaten for 12 hours. Almost all the tests are done on fasted subjects so they have not eaten for 12 hours, and even then there are no performance benefits for 90 minutes to about 2 hours. If you had eaten closer to the session you would not require carbs for even longer.

Lets see these tests then.. I wouldn't be surprised if you've just done a standard Trev and taken something irrelevant way out of context.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Lets see these tests then.. I wouldn't be surprised if you've just done a standard Trev and taken something irrelevant way out of context.

If you don't agree and think I am wrong - prove it. Rather than attack me attack the argument.

Here you are.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3525502

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6390613

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6350247

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3053587

No one is saying carbohydrate does not work for events lasting over about 2 hours, carbs enable you to carry on longer, that is rather different to carbohydrate allowing better performance over races lasting less than 2 hours.

NB; these results are after a 12 hour fast, it is probable carbohydrate would not help for even longer if the subjects had taken on carbohydrate closer to the tests.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18202575

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2 ... 5.full.pdf

ivanoile

Postby ivanoile » Sun Jan 20, 2013 13:00 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:rule #91 - no food on training rides under four hours.

I have to eat something after hour or two,at least for me.Because my avg. training is about 90min with some intervals or more hills.Of course there are trainings with over 3 hours but they are rare on winter.
I just wanted to know what is good to eat,because I want to try many things to see what will suit me best.

Thank you all for advices :D

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 21:08 pm

I like to eat whole meal toast and peanut butter after a 2h + ride, if it coincides with lunch - then scrambled eggs yum yum - washed down with some milk.
A racing cyclist will always eat heathly so wont - usually - need all this protein suplement.

As for eating and training, maybe a a banana or jam sandwich before hand, if its under 2 hrs, no matter what the session, i will only drink and that will be some fruit juice and water - 5part water juice.

you ve answered your own question though - try many things and see what suits you you but i do not believe you need gels and so called energy bars, they just rot your teeth and make you fat.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 21:27 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

If you don't agree and think I am wrong - prove it. Rather than attack me attack the argument.

Here you are.

No one is saying carbohydrate does not work for events lasting over about 2 hours, carbs enable you to carry on longer, that is rather different to carbohydrate allowing better performance over races lasting less than 2 hours.

NB; these results are after a 12 hour fast, it is probable carbohydrate would not help for even longer if the subjects had taken on carbohydrate closer to the tests.

Why does every thread in this training section turn into a Trev the Rev special??

I don't give a flying f*ck what links you post or evidence you have. When I as in me, a normal person, goes for a hard ride after about 1 hr 45 mins without food my stomach starts to turn itself inside out and starts screaming FEED ME, FEED ME NOW! I can carry on going but it gets hard, physically and mentally.

So, my anecdotal case would suggest that if you're going to ride hard for 2+ hours it's a good idea to eat some jelly babies. And they taste ******* lovely hmmmmmm Jelly babies. but you know, flapjacks or a cake are nice too.

Tom_UK

Postby Tom_UK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 22:27 pm

I found this online and made some and they are really nice,

http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/1329-S ... -flapjacks

I use raisens and cranberrys and olive oil though works well, I find breaking them up into bits and just having a mouthfull every 20-30 mins and a carb drink on a long ride works for me.

Ignore the dont eat unless its a ride over 4 hours rubbish If you want poor performance you crack on eating nothing, im guessing you never ride over 2 hours because you need to get back and puff your chest on a forum to boost that ego? Everyone is different so maybe try and help a little as that is what a forum is for?

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:10 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Here you are.

So tell me how they're relevant to the question in hand again?

The OP asked what to eat on longer rides... its been suggested that he ingests carbs after 60-90mins

A suggestion that isn't at odds with the literature you've provided.

In fact Team47b probably hits the mark when saying that you need to start at 60-90 mins rather than the 120mins that you suggest. Most people don't use a steady stream of fast-access carbohydrates in training.. you're not going to be wanting to spend the cash on gels for training.. so you're more likely to eat slow release carbs in normal food which take longer to access and as such eating after 60-90mins seems sensible.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:31 pm

Now that would be daft. All the evidence points to about 2 hours being the point where ingesting carbs is beneficial to performance.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:43 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:

Now that would be daft. All the evidence points to about 2 hours being the point where ingesting carbs is beneficial to performance.

You've got to look pro.

Other things that made you look pro:

-fasting for 12 hours before rides
-taking placebo drinks
-not eating ant of those evil energy products that the Satanist and/or illuminati cycling media have brainwashed everyone into thinking they need.
-being a really really fast cyclist
-being really skinny and really fast

rsands

Postby rsands » Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:17 am

lol Trev The Rev you would be better out cycling instead of coming up with rubbish. Just because these studies you find say XYZ doesnt mean it applies to everyone XYZ. Its not about the physical gains every time as you post with these studies...mentally feeling hungry is different in everyone...mentally that beats you and mind over matter is the killer. Physically i can cycle but as soon as I mentally say I am done i dont care if my legs scream keep going...my mind is made up that i am out. Feeling starved is the point...and that is not measureable as a fixed thing as everyones mind over matter is different. So again these studies are a general view of the subjects being tested.

have Sky or someone not signed you up yet?

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 am

rsands wrote:lol Trev The Rev you would be better out cycling instead of coming up with rubbish. Just because these studies you find say XYZ doesnt mean it applies to everyone XYZ. Its not about the physical gains every time as you post with these studies...mentally feeling hungry is different in everyone...mentally that beats you and mind over matter is the killer. Physically i can cycle but as soon as I mentally say I am done i dont care if my legs scream keep going...my mind is made up that i am out. Feeling starved is the point...and that is not measureable as a fixed thing as everyones mind over matter is different. So again these studies are a general view of the subjects being tested.

have Sky or someone not signed you up yet?

You ought to try carbohydrate mouth rinsing.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”