Velo north cancelled

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Craigus89

Re: Velo north cancelled

Postby Craigus89 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 am

I'd rather ride the route with limited traffic than with 20K other riders.

I bet there will be quite a few riding the route that day anyway if they've booked accommodation. Might a bit busier than usual at all the pubs/cafes on the way round.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 am

yeah, all you need is to create a hashtag and people will gather for a ride

MrB123

Postby MrB123 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am

The Winking Sheep should relaunch for this year on the weekend that Velo North was due to take place. They'd probably get a cracking turnout now as there must be plenty of people who booked travel and accommodation and plan to come to the area regardless of the cancellation.

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:06 am

MrB123 wrote:The Winking Sheep should relaunch for this year on the weekend that Velo North was due to take place. They'd probably get a cracking turnout now as there must be plenty of people who booked travel and accommodation and plan to come to the area regardless of the cancellation.

I would be keen on this. Already looking for an alternative ride on that weekend.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:49 am

MrB123 wrote:The Winking Sheep should relaunch for this year on the weekend that Velo North was due to take place. They'd probably get a cracking turnout now as there must be plenty of people who booked travel and accommodation and plan to come to the area regardless of the cancellation.

Might be a bit late to set up a sportive... it take time to get organised, find volunteers etc...

On a more general note, I don't understand how these people can operate with such a flaky business model that half of the time makes a loss.
They take money well in advance in cash, they probably have a 20% overbooking built in (I am being conservative here), with no refunds to worry about, much better than airlines and hotels. They employ an army of volunteers, who work in exchange for a T-shirt. They even share the costs with local councils.
For comparison, in an Audax you charge 10% of the fee of a closed road sportive, typically offer more in terms of food and typically you would operate with a 20-30% profit margin, that allow to donate to charity, plan for future event or sponsor your club activity, if you have one.

In financial terms, the all thing is an absolute farce

PoweredByIdris

Postby PoweredByIdris » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:54 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:

Might be a bit late to set up a sportive... it take time to get organised, find volunteers etc...

On a more general note, I don't understand how these people can operate with such a flaky business model that half of the time makes a loss.
They take money well in advance in cash, they probably have a 20% overbooking built in (I am being conservative here), with no refunds to worry about, much better than airlines and hotels. They employ an army of volunteers, who work in exchange for a T-shirt. They even share the costs with local councils.
For comparison, in an Audax you charge 10% of the fee of a closed road sportive, typically offer more in terms of food and typically you would operate with a 20-30% profit margin, that allow to donate to charity, plan for future event or sponsor your club activity, if you have one.

In financial terms, the all thing is an absolute farce

Think you've also described the Olympics there Ugo!

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:59 am

PoweredByIdris wrote:
Think you've also described the Olympics there Ugo!

SO basically the economy of scale, which works wonders in manufacturing, distribution and services, seemingly works the opposite way round for sport events. :roll:
It would explain why football clubs seem to have hundreds of millions in revenue but operate at a loss

Flite

Postby Flite » Fri Jul 05, 2019 20:43 pm

Velo29North
Another sportive has been hurriedly organised by Velo 29 to replace the cancelled Velo North on 1 Sept. Not closed roads, but a lot less expensive!

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 20:48 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
LakesLuddite wrote:
Yes Mojo, I have literally just seen this. Looks like a weekend in Durham sightseeing it is then. ffs.

Can you not ride the route on open roads by yourself? The traffic is hardly worth bothering with road closures in Northumberland...

I thought this event was in County Durham, so why would you have road closures in Northumberland.

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Sat Jul 06, 2019 07:32 am

Flite wrote:Velo29North
Another sportive has been hurriedly organised by Velo 29 to replace the cancelled Velo North on 1 Sept. Not closed roads, but a lot less expensive!

Seen this but not keen. Initially wanted to do velo north for the closed roads aspect and to encourage more like this in north east.

Not a fan of sportives unless theres a charity or community element. I know ill get flamed as obviously velo north wasnt charity minded or community spirited but it was on closed roads and i was doung it supporting prostate cancer uk.

wongataa

Postby wongataa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 am

Webboo wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
LakesLuddite wrote:
Yes Mojo, I have literally just seen this. Looks like a weekend in Durham sightseeing it is then. ffs.

Can you not ride the route on open roads by yourself? The traffic is hardly worth bothering with road closures in Northumberland...

I thought this event was in County Durham, so why would you have road closures in Northumberland.

It starts/ends in Durham. As it was 100 miles long you couldn't have a suitable route just in Durham so it went into the neighbouring counties.

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 07:59 am

All 100 miles of Velo North was in County Durham.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 08:07 am

durhamwasp wrote:All 100 miles of Velo North was in County Durham.

Thanks for clarifying... :D

It seems this forum has turned into a wasp nest of people who are only interested in pointing out inaccuracies in others' posts rather than in the actual topic...

I blame Zwift... :wink:

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 09:12 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
durhamwasp wrote:All 100 miles of Velo North was in County Durham.

Thanks for clarifying... :D

It seems this forum has turned into a wasp nest of people who are only interested in pointing out inaccuracies in others' posts rather than in the actual topic...

I blame Zwift... :wink:

...wasps'...
:wink:

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”