Velo Birmingham & Midlands May 12 2019

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
ugo.santalucia

Re: Velo Birmingham & Midlands May 12 2019

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 14:26 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the organisers could try sanitise the event - nobody may exceed Zmph or ride in groups of more than 4 people - but that's not easy to police and more often than not, it's unjustified...

Is it unjustified? All I read for months ahead of (and after) RL100 is people complaining about those morons whizzing by at 30 mph and scaring the hell out of people and how these people cause crashes.
Surely if you put a deterrent in place and it's well advertised, they will refrain from entering. It's the message you send out, whether that deterrent actually works on the day might be immaterial.
You apply a zero tolerance policy on bad behaviour or you don't... if you don't then don't complain if the BBC calls it a race, because at the front that's exactly what it is

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 14:39 pm

Interestingly (or not) someone has created a segment for the event...

There are 350 riders on Strava who went round with a moving speed in excess of 20 mph...

https://www.strava.com/segments/20573547?filter=overall

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon May 13, 2019 14:44 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the organisers could try sanitise the event - nobody may exceed Zmph or ride in groups of more than 4 people - but that's not easy to police and more often than not, it's unjustified...

Is it unjustified? All I read for months ahead of (and after) RL100 is people complaining about those morons whizzing by at 30 mph and scaring the hell out of people and how these people cause crashes.
Surely if you put a deterrent in place and it's well advertised, they will refrain from entering. It's the message you send out, whether that deterrent actually works on the day might be immaterial.
You apply a zero tolerance policy on bad behaviour or you don't... if you don't then don't complain if the BBC calls it a race, because at the front that's exactly what it is

hah - I was going to spout on about how it's only a race if they publish a winner .... then googled "Velo Birmingham Results" - got the timings list - and a download link at the top right "download race results" .... bang .. ouch ... that's a foot .... :lol:

theboyfold

Postby theboyfold » Mon May 13, 2019 14:44 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:
Oh, and just for your reference. The gent who died on RL100 last year was due to having a heart attack on the way up Leith Hill, not on the way down.

Some even had heart attacks on the flat at Putney Bridge or something. They are accidents nonetheless. If you crash your car against a tree whilst having a heart attack, does it not count as a crash?
That said, there are crashes going down Leith Hill every year, some worse than others.
Like it or not, it's down to speed... going too fast for the conditions or for your level of ability, or level of fitness... the same riders were probably fine on their Sunday ride, but had a heart attack when peer pressured to go faster and dig deeper.

And I don't buy into the argument that if you put 15K people in the same place, someone will inevitably end up in AE or die... there is always a reason: at Glastonbury it's probably drugs and alcohol, at closed roads sportives it is speed

You suggested that the crash on RL was down to bad riding. Of course you will crash when you have a heart attack, but the crash wasn't the cause of death, it's the effect of the cause of death. It's a very different definition to what you were trying to imply.

Does peer pressure not count when you are trying to get a PR or KOM in Strava or the like? If nobody had peer pressure we would all just be on sit up and beg bikes merrily going about our business.

You just seem to enjoy trying to pick holes in these sort of events as you don't enjoy them.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 14:48 pm

Slowbike wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:

hah - I was going to spout on about how it's only a race if they publish a winner .... then googled "Velo Birmingham Results" - got the timings list - and a download link at the top right "download race results" .... bang .. ouch ... that's a foot .... :lol:

He's probably "the winner"...
https://www.strava.com/activities/23613 ... 9665385395

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 14:52 pm

theboyfold wrote:
Does peer pressure not count when you are trying to get a PR or KOM in Strava or the like? If nobody had peer pressure we would all just be on sit up and beg bikes merrily going about our business.

Probably, but I've never seen someone having 168 bpm average for 4 hours, have you?

https://www.strava.com/activities/23610 ... 9665398803

The sustained level of effort that these events demand is quite unique, outside a competitive scenario

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon May 13, 2019 14:58 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:

He's probably "the winner"...
https://www.strava.com/activities/23613 ... 9665385395

Fastest Chiptime was 04:22:09 - avg speed 22.89mph

there were just over 650 riders at 20mph+

Slowest riders seem to be ~9mph but there seem to be some results at over 15hrs - 6mph ...

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 15:00 pm

Slowbike wrote:

Good stats, that also means that on average, about half of sportive riders are on Strava

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon May 13, 2019 15:02 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:

Probably, but I've never seen someone having 168 bpm average for 4 hours, have you?

The sustained level of effort that these events demand is quite unique, outside a competitive scenario

you have to look at the HR on an individual basis - I'd love to get my HR to 168bpm for 4 hours - ain't gonna happen, but then, I'm the wrong side of 30 ... (cough) - he spent 45% of the time at "Tempo" - only 32% of the time was at "Threshold"

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon May 13, 2019 15:02 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:

Good stats, that also means that on average, about half of sportive riders are on Strava

Got to be on Strava if you wanna race .... ;)

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 15:13 pm

Slowbike wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:

Got to be on Strava if you wanna race .... ;)

Lots of people around the 140-150 bpm mark for 4 hours... they are probably young and fit and all, but still, I'm pretty sure those are the same numbers you would find in a race

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon May 13, 2019 15:14 pm

Slowbike wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:

you have to look at the HR on an individual basis - I'd love to get my HR to 168bpm for 4 hours - ain't gonna happen, but then, I'm the wrong side of 30 ... (cough) - he spent 45% of the time at "Tempo" - only 32% of the time was at "Threshold"

Lots of people around the 140-150 bpm mark for 4 hours... they are probably young and fit and all, but still, I'm pretty sure those are the same numbers you would find in a race

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Mon May 13, 2019 15:15 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:there were just over 650 riders at 20mph+

I'd have expected the vast majority of the quicker ones to be on Strava, and a minority of the slower/charity types.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon May 13, 2019 15:20 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:Lots of people around the 140-150 bpm mark for 4 hours... they are probably young and fit and all, but still, I'm pretty sure those are the same numbers you would find in a race

My club runs rides at race pace - granted, it's only about an hour, but when I go on them I'm at the upper limits of my HR. Its still not a race though - it's just a fast club ride. They also run slower rides for those who don't want to or can't ride at that pace.
The racing goes on at a local circuit or on the road TTs - entries taken, fees paid, numbers issued, winners announced, prizes/points given.
Being the fastest one to complete a course doesn't make you the winner of a race but that won't stop people wanting to be the fastest to complete the course.

whyamihere

Postby whyamihere » Mon May 13, 2019 15:22 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:

Give it a rest... My HR was 140 average for the 6.5 hours I took. HR is so individual that you can ascertain nothing from a person's reading without looking at their entire history.

theboyfold

Postby theboyfold » Mon May 13, 2019 15:31 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:

Yes I have.

Also, there is a difference between a race, pushing yourself and then pushing yourself to death.

Heartrate, as others have said is totally individual. I can sustain a very high heart rate for a long time, others I ride with can't. To look at one individual and then leap to your conclusion is utter nonsense.

I do hope you're having fun today, you're managing to provoke a lot more responses than you'd normally get.

NorvernRob

Postby NorvernRob » Mon May 13, 2019 16:09 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
theboyfold wrote:

I average 150+, often 160+, pretty much every time I go out. My max HR is over 200 though so I’m not even out of breath at 160bpm.

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Mon May 13, 2019 16:48 pm

The horse and the vet story has had an expected revision. He was delayed by 20 minutes in which time both Horse and foal had died.

david7m

Postby david7m » Mon May 13, 2019 16:58 pm

kingrollo wrote:The horse and the vet story has had an expected revision. He was delayed by 20 minutes in which time both Horse and foal had died.

How's its changed, thought it was that all along?

lettingthedaysgoby

Postby lettingthedaysgoby » Mon May 13, 2019 18:09 pm

kingrollo wrote:The horse and the vet story has had an expected revision. He was delayed by 20 minutes in which time both Horse and foal had died.

Have you got a link for this?

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”