A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 06:53 am

5 places left on the Audax

EDIT: gone... entries closed. Reserve list for AUK members only

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:36 am

Did I sell out before Velo Birmingham? :-)

User avatar
TLW1
Posts: 17563
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:40 am
Contact:

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby TLW1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 21:46 pm

Horlexs - just seen this :(

ChippyK
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 21:00 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ChippyK » Wed Nov 07, 2018 22:08 pm

Rank_amateur wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:Casual ride for club members... if anyone is local and wants to join

https://www.strava.com/clubs/472362/group_events/389068


Not sure if you’ve ridden all that route before but an irate resident once stopped me as I was cycling down Roman road, Litle Aston, and told me there was no public right of way at all, if that bothers you.

Also, if anyone baulks at the mighty ford that crosses Hints Lane then just back track a few metres and there’s an off-road path through the trees to the other side of it. Then enjoy my favourite climb round here up to Canwell. Good job I’ve got a duff knee at the moment or I’d show you how it was done :D


You were unlucky down Roman Road, have run down there dozens and dozens of times and never been spoken to. Hints Ford in winter, once saw a chap fall off in the middle of it, it was running deep too. I didn’t laugh.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 06:41 am

TLW1 wrote:Horlexs - just seen this :(


Will reopen in early December, but I only have 10-15 places left. If you send me a PM with your name and email, I'll add you to a mailing list and let you know when I re-open

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:39 pm

Due to large demand and not enough capacity in the main event, I have opened entries for a further BRUM 200 in September... this one is the X-Rated, which means no frills, as the entry fee suggests. Here

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-83/

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 09:27 am

Despite a touch of rain, a great time was had by all at the first BRUM 200... and the low temperature for July meant the vegan curry at the finish was very welcome, as was the free beer

User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 21623
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:58 am

Glad it went well, free beer explains why TLW was so keen to get an entry.

User avatar
W12 lad
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby W12 lad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:52 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:Despite a touch of rain, a great time was had by all at the first BRUM 200... and the low temperature for July meant the vegan curry at the finish was very welcome, as was the free beer


Well done mate.

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Next year.....

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Veronese68 wrote:Glad it went well, free beer explains why TLW was so keen to get an entry.


It wasn't in the plan, but I had over 20 people emailing me in the weeks before that they couldn't make it... so there was some extra money to spend... :wink:

User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 21623
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:50 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:Glad it went well, free beer explains why TLW was so keen to get an entry.


It wasn't in the plan, but I had over 20 people emailing me in the weeks before that they couldn't make it... so there was some extra money to spend... :wink:

Good way to spend it. :D

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 13:06 pm

Veronese68 wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:Glad it went well, free beer explains why TLW was so keen to get an entry.


It wasn't in the plan, but I had over 20 people emailing me in the weeks before that they couldn't make it... so there was some extra money to spend... :wink:

Good way to spend it. :D


Agree... I am also looking at the Assos website... :lol:

User avatar
Peat
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 19:59 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby Peat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 06:54 am

I'm surpised at the DNS(A) rate for a 200, post-PBP quals.

Well done for putting an event on.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:13 am

Peat wrote:I'm surpised at the DNS(A) rate for a 200, post-PBP quals.



2/3rd of entries were from non AUK members and they all signed up very early... that is not to say that AUKs showed up in mass. Apparently it's quite common this year... look at the results for the TINAT rides in June, hardly anybody validated compared to last year

User avatar
Peat
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 19:59 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby Peat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:43 am

Tinat was an odd one.

It was distinctly quieter than last year for a start, more like a 'normal' Audax than the full-on festival of cycling enjoyed last time.

PBP effect? There were no qualifying rides, but it was moved 2 weeks back to avoid the qualification windows anyway. So, we're people just enjoying a weekend off after a busy period of qualifiers? Did the severity of the rides last year put people off?

At the post-event hog-roast and booze-up, there were very few people who had actually completed thier rides. I scratched from mine. I think 6 started the 300km off-roader, only 1 finished. Just brutal.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:52 am

Peat wrote:Tinat was an odd one.

It was distinctly quieter than last year for a start, more like a 'normal' Audax than the full-on festival of cycling enjoyed last time.

PBP effect? There were no qualifying rides, but it was moved 2 weeks back to avoid the qualification windows anyway. So, we're people just enjoying a weekend off after a busy period of qualifiers? Did the severity of the rides last year put people off?

At the post-event hog-roast and booze-up, there were very few people who had actually completed thier rides. I scratched from mine. I think 6 started the 300km off-roader, only 1 finished. Just brutal.


Can't blame everything on PBP... I don't think PBP affects shorter brevets like mine. I think it's down to people signing up very early.
Personally I don't mind, every DNS is more money I can invest in making other riders' day better. I spent 60 quid to give every finisher (and every helper) a beer, wouldn't have been able to do so if everybody showed up

User avatar
Peat
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 19:59 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby Peat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:58 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Can't blame everything on PBP...


Trust me. I can. I am sick to the back teeth of PeeebeeePeee.

ugo.santalucia wrote:Personally I don't mind, every DNS is more money I can invest in making other riders' day better. I spent 60 quid to give every finisher (and every helper) a beer, wouldn't have been able to do so if everybody showed up


Fair enough, and good on you.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 08:08 am

Peat wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:
Can't blame everything on PBP...


Trust me. I can. I am sick to the back teeth of PeeebeeePeee.

.


It grabs the headlines and if you spend time on YACF it's all they talk about. That said, in the BP and BR 200 scene you will find that the vast majority of people have nothing to do with PBP and most of them have never ridden any further than 200.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Second edition of BRUM 200, the full fat Loop of Birmingham opens for entries on Saturday in the early hours of the morning. Partly new route

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-82/

User avatar
BigMitch41
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Postby BigMitch41 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 15:57 pm

Looks like a good route. I used to live near by Lichfield/Rugely area years ago and did the Birmingham velo last year!
Paracyclist
@Bigmitch_racing
2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
2014 Whyte T129-S
2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
Big Mitch - YouTube


Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests