Ride London 2019 anyone?

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Tashman

Re: Ride London 2019 anyone?

Postby Tashman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 14:26 pm

I've never ridden as far before so took 4 gels (1 consumed), 3 Aldi Hike protein bars (all eaten) and a bag of Jelly babies (2/3 eaten). Completely forgot to eat any of it until Hampton court when I refilled 1 of my 2 bottles. Was starting to feel a little heady at that point but the jelly baby and High5 bar I picked up at the hub soon sorted that. Also stopped at Box to refill bottles.

Amstell bar was odd, having to queue to be allowed to join the queue once you'd been given a wrist band. Probably took 1/2 hour to get a pint!

homers double

Postby homers double » Mon Aug 05, 2019 15:15 pm

When I rode it last year we got to the tent and couldn't be bothered with it so just jumped on the bikes and went back to the hotel.

It's probably the easiest 100 miler I've ever done so I'll gladly do it again as I expect the bad riding and such will mainly be in the very fast groups where people are competing. We took it as a sportive and rode for fun, but opened up the taps on the last few miles which being pan flat and on closed roads in the middle of London needed to be appreciated.
Advocate of disc brakes.

-Dash

Postby -Dash » Mon Aug 05, 2019 15:20 pm

elbowloh wrote:
-Dash wrote:
Longshot wrote:The highlight of the event for me was being allowed in the Amstel Zone and getting two free beers!

That part was a bit of a mess. Went to first Amstel area "go round the corner for Amstel Ride Together area". Went round corner as directed. "Oh, this entrance is just for guests to get accredited. Riders have to go about 500m all the way round." . So my guest could literally walk straight in from where we were but I, the rider that had ridden the event, had to walk a fair distance round. I then asked is the bar even open "Nope, doesn't open until 12PM". So it was basically just massages available. I couldn't be bothered to walk round.

Perhaps expecting beer at 10:30am was a bit much :D

Was there anywhere else to get beer and pizza?

I really wanted pizza, but the only place for pizza was on the Amstel area. Got a burger in the end, after a 30 minute queue (the queue was longer at the other burger place).

Didn't realise there was pizza in Amstel area. There was a couple of stalls in the middle of Green Park but didn't look great. Went to M&S and it was closed so went round the corner to a Tesco express.

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Mon Aug 05, 2019 15:45 pm

Fenix wrote:
Daniel B wrote:
I WAY over loaded, my pockets were stuffed - from memory:
6 packs of clif bloks (Just over 3 consumed)
4 energy bars - 1 consumed
6 gels - none consumed

Would you normally take that food for a century ride or so ? That's a lot of calories ?

No I would not, but I would normally have at least a lunch stop on a century ride if it's not an organised event, and probably a cafe stop too - if it's a sportive, I have hammered the various food offerings at feed stops as well.
In the early days I would literally start with two bottles of water, and maybe a cereal bar.

I have experienced the dreaded 'bonk' before, and it was a dangerous, and thoroughly traumatic experience, so never one I want to revisit!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

handful

Postby handful » Mon Aug 05, 2019 16:57 pm

I'm not going to try and match Daniel's review but FWIW I thoroughly enjoyed my first London 100, in fact my first century ride at the ripe old age of 57. I got in after 5 years of trying through the ballot with no variation on the diversity questions. I had a 15 mile ride to the start which wasn't ideal and I arrived late for my wave due to it taking longer than expected and having trouble finding my start location ( I wasn't the only one) and tat probably cost me a decent run at the hills. There were a couple of what looked like serious accidents which meant some waiting and a bit of a walk before Leith Hill. Overall the quality of the riding was better than expected from a safety point of view but I was surprised by the number of walkers on anything remotely steep.

An awful night's sleep and a poor day's preparation on Saturday (pounding the streets and on my feet all day) coupled with the 15 mile ride in affected my confidence a bit but I got round without too much trouble and achieved my pre-ride target which was to complete a sub 6 hour ride. Not on the official chip time but that was due to the waiting, actual moving time on Garmin including the walking was 5hr 48m with an average of 17mph. Having now done the hills they definitely are exaggerated as "challenges" and shouldn't hold any fears for anyone who does any climbing on their normal rides because I am a long way short of being a good climber.

I only stopped twice for a pee and water refills and took my nutrition "on the hoof", a few gels, 3 energy bars from Decathlon and a piece of flapjack and suffered no cramp and energy levels felt pretty good. Plenty of water and electrolyte as well. Not getting cramp is very unusual for me but I did put a decent amount of training in and I'm convinced that's what I need to prevent cramp. Anyway, I hope this helps others contemplating the ride. I would do it again, maybe not next year but maybe in a couple but as others have said, the weather will never be better than yesterday. Perfect conditions.
Vaaru Titanium Sram eTap HRD
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
Intense Spider 29er - mud

CptKernow

Postby CptKernow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 17:26 pm

Personally I loved it but the mix of inexperienced and super-competitive riders is asking for trouble. Didn't see any crashes myself but when you have groups of 10+ riders heading into unfamiliar bends at full speed with random riders strung out across the road... something of a miracle. Plenty of road furniture and other everyday hazards too.

Climbs were pretty tame. Barely noticed Newlands, Leith was proper and Box Hill was only hard because I was chasing some guy who then pulled off at the stop.

Anyway, I got a far better time than was hoping for, including apparently 7th fastest for the 12 miles through Central London. Already applied for next year's ballot...

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Mon Aug 05, 2019 19:42 pm

Daniel B wrote:
Fenix wrote:
Daniel B wrote:
I WAY over loaded, my pockets were stuffed - from memory:
6 packs of clif bloks (Just over 3 consumed)
4 energy bars - 1 consumed
6 gels - none consumed

Would you normally take that food for a century ride or so ? That's a lot of calories ?

No I would not, but I would normally have at least a lunch stop on a century ride if it's not an organised event, and probably a cafe stop too - if it's a sportive, I have hammered the various food offerings at feed stops as well.
In the early days I would literally start with two bottles of water, and maybe a cereal bar.

I have experienced the dreaded 'bonk' before, and it was a dangerous, and thoroughly traumatic experience, so never one I want to revisit!

Decided to read the clif blok guidelines, bit late I realise :mrgreen:
They recommend between 3-6 bloks per hour of exercise, so that would be between 15-30 for me, but if I base it on 4 hours, as I ate nothing for the 1st hour, having had a 600ish calorie breakfast, that would put it at 12-24, so still within normal levels.

Had assumed they would be calorific, but 20 are 'only' 640 calories, and my energy bar only puts that up to 770, plus breakfast totals up at about 1400 calories consumed, think Strava reckoned about 2500 calories burned for the ride, no real idea how accurate that calculation is.
My power meter was under reading, not sure if it would combine that with hr readings or not.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Scott CR1 SL 12
Scott Foil 18

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 20:04 pm

I think you're all over calculating the energy used for a flat 100 mile ride, a normal breakfast of say eggs beans and a couple of slices of toast should be more than enough unless you're pushing a 25 mph avg. drink plenty of water and maybe a couple of electrolyte tabs at the beginning, sorry but ride London shouldn't require anyone to be taking gels, real food is the key not just for RL if you can face it
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

awavey

Postby awavey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 20:59 pm

and where do you get eggs beans and toast at 4am on Sunday in a travelodge from ? Id struggle to eat that even if it were available that time of the morning.

when I did a 100 mile sportive,not Ride London though I doubt its much different, I had a cup-a-porridge with boiled water, which is even more horrible than it is with milk, and kept topped up via bananas and whatever biscuits/crisps were offered at food stops,& water, I had 3 gels, I think I used 2 of them back half of the ride, they were easy to consume carbs, easy to carry around, and you arent going to find yourself stuck between food stops running out of gas.

ultimately you do what works for you,if gels work for you, use them, if they dont knock yourself out with real food instead, there is no should or shouldnt to my mind on how you fuel for a long distance ride

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 21:06 pm

itboffin wrote:I think you're all over calculating the energy used for a flat 100 mile ride, a normal breakfast of say eggs beans and a couple of slices of toast should be more than enough unless you're pushing a 25 mph avg. drink plenty of water and maybe a couple of electrolyte tabs at the beginning, sorry but ride London shouldn't require anyone to be taking gels, real food is the key not just for RL if you can face it

If ya have fat reserves ;)

theboyfold

Postby theboyfold » Mon Aug 05, 2019 21:45 pm

awavey wrote:and where do you get eggs beans and toast at 4am on Sunday in a travelodge from ? Id struggle to eat that even if it were available that time of the morning.

when I did a 100 mile sportive,not Ride London though I doubt its much different, I had a cup-a-porridge with boiled water, which is even more horrible than it is with milk, and kept topped up via bananas and whatever biscuits/crisps were offered at food stops,& water, I had 3 gels, I think I used 2 of them back half of the ride, they were easy to consume carbs, easy to carry around, and you arent going to find yourself stuck between food stops running out of gas.

ultimately you do what works for you,if gels work for you, use them, if they dont knock yourself out with real food instead, there is no should or shouldnt to my mind on how you fuel for a long distance ride

Agreed on this. Also the porridge in a pot is hard to swallow down, even the flavoured ones. Fuelling on a bike is totally personal, some of us are efficient, some of us aren't.

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Mon Aug 05, 2019 21:50 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
itboffin wrote:I think you're all over calculating the energy used for a flat 100 mile ride, a normal breakfast of say eggs beans and a couple of slices of toast should be more than enough unless you're pushing a 25 mph avg. drink plenty of water and maybe a couple of electrolyte tabs at the beginning, sorry but ride London shouldn't require anyone to be taking gels, real food is the key not just for RL if you can face it

If ya have fat reserves ;)

Lol, at sub 63kg currently, my reserves are low.
Tried to top that up today with a doughnut and muffins.

I know from experience I could not have finished in the time I did without assistance beyond real food. And to complete a century for the first time without a dip in energy mid ride, made for a really pleasant change. In fact I wonder if that made the biggest difference to my enjoyment, often I used to struggle from 50-70miles in, and then my legs would come back to me for the last section.
A portion of that could have course be put down to improved fitness / w/kg.

Real food also takes up many times the space of clif bloks, and will generally not seperate easily and mess free into bite size pieces.

In addition, there's no way I could stomach a cooked breakfast at 04:30, though the 3 lidl porridge oat bars I had for 'breakfast' were real food, and contained *no special cycling ingredients!

*To the best of my knowledge
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Scott CR1 SL 12
Scott Foil 18

J_MCD

Postby J_MCD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 07:46 am

I also took part on Sunday and had...a brilliant time. Didn't see too much bad riding (only one incident springs to mind) but I did start early and was pushing reasonably hard. Finished the course in 4:55 which I was pretty happy with.

I was annoyed with a rolling road block in Putney which nearly caused a mass pileup, getting stuck behind a van on Box Hill (!!!??!) and having to stop while a lorry reversed at Kingston Gate in the Park but nothing too bad really.

It did seem busy at the start but soon spaced out and there wasn't too much trouble at Leith although I think the descent is way too dangerous once it starts packing out. I wonder if they would be better off taking people into Dorking through Cold Harbour instead although the roads are quite narrow there (but less steep).

I did think that the stations were a disgrace this year, I only ever stop at the top of Box for a bottle refill but this year there was no food and "only 1 tablet per person" for liquids. Way, way worse than last year.

I always said that I'd stop after I broke the 5 hour barrier but I think I'll apply for the ballot anyway, it gives you the impetus to do more cycling in the summer to get up to 'race pace'!
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Der Kaiser

Postby Der Kaiser » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:17 am

Looking through this I just need to ask people know it's not a race? There is no competitive element to it. The medal you get at the end is for completion. There is no tour of the TV chat show circuit afterwards.

By all means measure yourself against your your own sense of achievement or personal target. I've stopped doing sportives because of the flat track bullies who just don't have consideration for other riders. Riding along like they are some sort of superstar but at the same time putting others at risk.

If you want to race then go and enter a local circuit series, enter a local road race event or even a time trial. They are struggling in some areas for riders and races are being cancelled.

SAmSurf

Postby SAmSurf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:19 am

Early start for me 6:16 Blue D.
Found getting into the Olympic Park a bit of a shambles too many cyclists mixing with traffic. Bit of fun in the holding pen with the sprinkler system, did wonder why the floor was wet when we arrived, one guys bike got absolutely soaked when he was using the portaloo.
Got into some fast groups for he first 30miles through London, overall all good riding, clear indications of hazards etc.

Saw first major accident coming into Pyrford at 8. guy lying on the floor paramedics etc in attendance. Stopped at Pyrford to say hi to the parents and pick up my sunglasses I left in the car when my dad dropped me off in the morning.
Pretty quiet leaving Pyrford due to ambulance blocking road temporarily behind.
Saw my second accident leaving Ripley, guy just fell off his bike, i think he went over a small bump while trying to reach something in his pocket, it was fairly low speed so not too bad.

Pushed on to Newlands with a fast Belgium rider and a few tag alongs behind, dropped him on the climb.

Few people with mechanicals on Newlands one guys entire crank arm fell off another's chain was munched in the spokes.

Difficult to get into good groups through the hills with people riding different speeds. No hold ups though. Legs were struggling a bit after Box, smashed a gel and banana at Leatherhead hub. Managed to get into a good working group through to Wimbledon fast fun riding.
Had to slow just after Putney due the rolling road block traffic which had just been released. Did mean we had a big peloton of riders for the last few miles easily held 25mph on the final run in.
 Bit disappointed by the lack of proper sprit finish, due to the finish line appearing so soon after the last bend and not going under admiralty arch.
Great day overall 4hr.41 on the wahoo 4.52 official unfortunately only 99.19miles.

Nice journey home to Pyrford on the train in this time :) ,  chatting to some people getting off at Esher doing the 19miler.
Entered the ballot for next year, noticed I got the email in the starting pen.

MBroady

Postby MBroady » Tue Aug 06, 2019 08:48 am

All in all I'm glad I did it after trying unsuccessfully for a few years but doubt I'll apply again. 6.24 start, everything went smooth, the first 40 miles were great, absolutely smashed it out with a good group. My knee started giving me a bit of jip on Newlands for some unknown reason so I took it easy for the rest of the route but got round in 5.00 flat so not too bad.

The last 20 miles or so was chaos when the 46 and 100 converged, I saw multiple crashes seemingly out of nowhere, mainly caused by choppers zipping in and out of people on hybrids who clearly weren't used to riding in huge groups.

Lost count of the amount of derailleurs I saw torn off by spokes.

Saw 3 people with bibs over their jerseys, no idea what that was about.

-Dash

Postby -Dash » Tue Aug 06, 2019 09:18 am

J_MCD wrote:I did think that the stations were a disgrace this year, I only ever stop at the top of Box for a bottle refill but this year there was no food and "only 1 tablet per person" for liquids. Way, way worse than last year.

Is this in the dirt car park to the left after the viewpoint? I could have sworn I saw a sign saying cold drinks £1 and wondered if it was even an official stop. Maybe they do charge for proper soft drinks beyond water?

I didn't stop at any feed stops so have no experience to report. Considering a whole bunch of riders must have not stopped at all that's pretty poor if they were running out of supplies.

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Tue Aug 06, 2019 09:28 am

Der Kaiser wrote:Looking through this I just need to ask people know it's not a race? There is no competitive element to it. The medal you get at the end is for completion. There is no tour of the TV chat show circuit afterwards.

By all means measure yourself against your your own sense of achievement or personal target. I've stopped doing sportives because of the flat track bullies who just don't have consideration for other riders. Riding along like they are some sort of superstar but at the same time putting others at risk.

If you want to race then go and enter a local circuit series, enter a local road race event or even a time trial. They are struggling in some areas for riders and races are being cancelled.

It is what it is, people have always ridden sportives looking to get round fast, if the organisers wish to discourage that then abandon the timing element.

I'd call sportives semi-competitive - no they aren't road races but they aren't audax either (yes I know the front end of a hilly audax can be pretty quick).
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

-Dash

Postby -Dash » Tue Aug 06, 2019 09:41 am

SAmSurf wrote: Bit disappointed by the lack of proper sprit finish, due to the finish line appearing so soon after the last bend and not going under admiralty arch.

What would you be sprinting for?

Shame not to go under Admiralty Arch and ride more of the mall but there's no need for a sprint finish. I wouldn't be surprised if the turn into horse guards parade resulted in a few crashes with heroes getting ready for the "sprint".

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Tue Aug 06, 2019 09:58 am

-Dash wrote:
J_MCD wrote:I did think that the stations were a disgrace this year, I only ever stop at the top of Box for a bottle refill but this year there was no food and "only 1 tablet per person" for liquids. Way, way worse than last year.

Is this in the dirt car park to the left after the viewpoint? I could have sworn I saw a sign saying cold drinks £1 and wondered if it was even an official stop. Maybe they do charge for proper soft drinks beyond water?

I didn't stop at any feed stops so have no experience to report. Considering a whole bunch of riders must have not stopped at all that's pretty poor if they were running out of supplies.

It's always charged for food and drink up there. I generally only use the main hubs/water stations.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”