Velo South 2018

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
User avatar
Tashman
Posts: 2668
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 09:56 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Tashman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Seems they're still struggling to fill places here. I entered a competition but didn't win. I was however offered a special opportunity to still enter this SOLD OUT event

kingrollo
Posts: 3213
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby kingrollo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 13:14 pm

Tashman wrote:Seems they're still struggling to fill places here. I entered a competition but didn't win. I was however offered a special opportunity to still enter this SOLD OUT event


Not quite sure why they would badge it as sold out if it isn't - I don't think Velothon wales sold out this year. They always hold a few tickets back for 'specials' - my guess would be that the vast majority of the 15,000 places are taken - they closed general sale after around 48 hours - no reason to think that anything other than a a handful of places remain

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24129
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 13:26 pm

With a typical DNS rate of 15-20% at the very least for most events, if I was the organiser I would deffo overbook... there is a fortune to make by selling an extra 500 entries or so

mrfpb
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby mrfpb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 14:58 pm

I was getting Velo Wales emails right up to a few days before. L'Etape London is still marketing, Chiltern 100 and White Roads Classic also seem under sold. These big commercial operators are either miscalculating the potential numbers or just greedy to maximise profits.

Milemuncher1
Posts: 1465
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 15:51 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Milemuncher1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 15:02 pm

mrfpb wrote:I was getting Velo Wales emails right up to a few days before. L'Etape London is still marketing, Chiltern 100 and White Roads Classic also seem under sold. These big commercial operators are either miscalculating the potential numbers or just greedy to maximise profits.


It’s probably a bit of both, the market has cooled a bit, and is heading back to the way it was 25 or so years ago, and the operators are greedy.

PostieJohn
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 18:15 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby PostieJohn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 09:36 am

I wrote this for a friend yesterday, and figured it might be wise to share:-

I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
Then left onto the A285, today I joined that road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clocked 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.


As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.

User avatar
lettingthedaysgoby
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 06:49 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby lettingthedaysgoby » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 am

That ^^^ makes me glad I'm in the early wave to set off.

Milemuncher1
Posts: 1465
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 15:51 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Milemuncher1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 am

PostieJohn wrote:I wrote this for a friend yesterday, and figured it might be wise to share:-

I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
Then left onto the A285, today I joined at road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clocked 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.


As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.


You’re nearly right. The actual route on the day, will turn up Kennel hill, then along the road by the golf course, the climb up to Duncton is steady, and that descent afterwards is fine, as long as you’re aware of the sharp turn at the end of it. The majority of the rest of the ride is fairly mundane, and the climb at South Harting, is steady, but steep.

PostieJohn
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 18:15 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby PostieJohn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 am

Milemuncher1 wrote:
You’re nearly right. The actual route on the day, will turn up Kennel hill, then along the road by the golf course, the climb up to Duncton is steady, and that descent afterwards is fine, as long as you’re aware of the sharp turn at the end of it. .

For you to be right, the route map would have to be wrong.

and isn't the rest of it exactly what I told my friend?

DaveP1
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 13:21 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby DaveP1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:29 pm

The route map avoids Kennel Hill. There's a gentle climb from Halnaker to the turning for Selhurstpark Road, but nothing to worry about. I also think Duncton could be tricky, it's wide and straight, then it's more two 90 degree left handers rather than a continuous 180, and there are usually cars off the road there in the winter months. There's a right hander, a small rise through some buildings and then another shorter drop with a right hander at the bottom.
There's a slight wiggle after a descent before Fittleworth which is rough and could be a problem. It isn't much fun when there are cars trying to squeeze by.
I can't see any problems after that until Spithandle Lane after Ashington, it's the A283 and A29 for a big chunk. Spithandle can be bad, there's an s bend after a bit of a descent and another left right sequence later, both of these can be gravelly. This road is narrow so potentially faster groups overtaking slower riders could cause problems.
After that reasonably wide roads to Partridge Green. Crossing the A272 is a problem normally but I am assuming they will close it here or have martials stopping the traffic every now and then, maybe?
Then its ok until just after Barns Green. There's a long downhill here and a very sharp left hander.
I think the rest of the route is ok, and the field should be stretching out by the time they get this far.
I did the South Harting climb last weekend for the first time, I'd say it was easier than the Duncton climb but not dissimilar. There was a sportive heading down it on Sunday, the hill goes straight into South Harting with an angled junction and with the FOS traffic heading the other way it all seemed a bit lively round there.
After that it is a big road heading south mainly downhill for a few miles, so if you have anything left this could be a good place to claw back some time. The villages just before the finish could also be a squeeze.

PostieJohn
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 18:15 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby PostieJohn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 13:35 pm

Not to mention Spithandle Lane has never been repaired since 5 years of constant bombardment by the Germans.
Sure it was odd to target that one lane, so odd in fact nobody has got round to fixing it.


One of the hardest things to do, on a bike, in West Sussex, is go down the Harting ascent and turn left at the bottom. lol.

DaveP1
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 13:21 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby DaveP1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:57 pm

They made an effort at patching some of Spithandle in November, bits were lovely and shiny and smooth and black for a while...the rest of it as flaky as ever

Valedoc44
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 08:57 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Valedoc44 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I guess I’ll have to see if they release any more general entry places as the official transfer closure date was yesterday.

User avatar
Philip Whiteman
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:58 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Philip Whiteman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 am

Milemuncher1 wrote:
mrfpb wrote:I was getting Velo Wales emails right up to a few days before. L'Etape London is still marketing, Chiltern 100 and White Roads Classic also seem under sold. These big commercial operators are either miscalculating the potential numbers or just greedy to maximise profits.


It’s probably a bit of both, the market has cooled a bit, and is heading back to the way it was 25 or so years ago, and the operators are greedy.


Meanwhile audaxes are becoming busier. As the organiser of the Beacon RCC's audaxes, I have noticed an increasing number of new audaxers that have switched from sportives because they are disenchanted with the quality and cost especially where commercial operators are concerned. Ironically, this disenchantment with events organised by companies such as CSM are good for smaller operations.

Slowbike
Posts: 8249
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Slowbike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 14:29 pm

Philip Whiteman wrote:
Meanwhile audaxes are becoming busier. As the organiser of the Beacon RCC's audaxes, I have noticed an increasing number of new audaxers that have switched from sportives because they are disenchanted with the quality and cost especially where commercial operators are concerned. Ironically, this disenchantment with events organised by companies such as CSM are good for smaller operations.


Not surprised really - £15-20 for a sportive where they give you some food/water on the course seems reasonable.. after all, they have had to hire a venue and mark the route out - plus provide some support ... ramping that up to >£30 is a bit much for me - although I can appreciate it if it's a closed roads event.

Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24129
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 15:34 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl


I think you are stuck in the 80s...

You will find that these days half the field is made out of Rapha clad middle agers riding thousands of quid of carbon bikes... as for the sandals, I have thus far seen one pair... it was 30 degrees and to be fair they did seem a good idea.

Joining an Audax, you might find yourself riding alongside Steve Abraham (although he doesn't do many anymore) or Jasmijn Muller or other extraordinary UK athletes... in the Sportive circus, I've always been surrounded by wanna-be, but no-one that was actually the real deal.

Audax is a very cohesive world, with bags of camaraderie, sportives are full of unnecessarily competitive folks who seemingly hate each other

As for Phil's Audax events... having ridden his recent Kidderminster Killer, all I can say is OUCH! :D

Slowbike
Posts: 8249
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Slowbike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 08:37 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl


I think you are stuck in the 80s...

You will find that these days half the field is made out of Rapha clad middle agers riding thousands of quid of carbon bikes... as for the sandals, I have thus far seen one pair... it was 30 degrees and to be fair they did seem a good idea.

Joining an Audax, you might find yourself riding alongside Steve Abraham (although he doesn't do many anymore) or Jasmijn Muller or other extraordinary UK athletes... in the Sportive circus, I've always been surrounded by wanna-be, but no-one that was actually the real deal.

Audax is a very cohesive world, with bags of camaraderie, sportives are full of unnecessarily competitive folks who seemingly hate each other

As for Phil's Audax events... having ridden his recent Kidderminster Killer, all I can say is OUCH! :D


I have done one ... an aAa one ... oops - didn't realise that it was hilly! I'm not adverse to doing them - just don't have the time atm...

Brakeless
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 18:32 pm

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Brakeless » Thu Aug 02, 2018 08:48 am

Slowbike wrote:Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl



As others have said this is total b*ollocks and obviously written by someone with very little experience of Audaxes.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24129
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 08:51 am

Slowbike wrote: just don't have the time atm...


Typical excuse for being a couch potato... :wink:

Slowbike
Posts: 8249
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Velo South 2018

Postby Slowbike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 09:28 am

Brakeless wrote:
Slowbike wrote:Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl



As others have said this is total b*ollocks and obviously written by someone with very little experience of Audaxes.


It was meant - but obviously not taken - as tongue in cheek. Same for all sportive riders being wanna-be-pros ... but there you go - we're allowed to stereotype people we're not - but not those we are - or perhaps want to be ... ok..


Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests