Wiggle New Forest Sportive - thoughts/comments?

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Flashart

Re: Wiggle New Forest Sportive - thoughts/comments?

Postby Flashart » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 am

My 2p FWIW, I rode Sunday (standard) and it was my first sportive of any kind, I found it quite well organized but could have done without the stoney start tbh (my new Bonts are now scratched :( lol) , thoroughly enjoyed it and am now looking to try the epic next year.
I have to be honest though, I am not a member of any club and usually ride alone so the etiquette thing to me is a bit foreign as I don't ever do it, figured out as I went along though about calling out some of the worse obstacles and if the road was clear etc, said hello to a few people but as said previously there were soooo many people it got a bit repetative so gave up after a bit.
I quite like the timing part of it myself too as it gives me a bit more of a push when I'm starting to go off the boil but appreciate that its not for everyone.
I can kinda understand the locals issues to a degree but think they need to take a step back and pull there heads outta there behinds too and see the bigger picture, I'm local and pay my council tax to the new forest so am happy to see it be used for the masses tbh.

PerformingMonkey

Postby PerformingMonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Agree with the majority of posters here that it was an enjoyable, well organised event but with a real mixed bag of abilities. I was in one of the first mini-waves to set off on Saturday as part of the epic route so benefited from the quieter roads. Things got a little busier when we met up again with the standard route, but even the slower families managed to hold a fairly predictable straight line allowing for a safe overtake.

Personally experienced only one wheel hogger on the long open section towards the latter part of the epic on the long straight, main road that had the evenly spaced tiny gully bumps on the left. I kept looking back and giving him the nod to take over but he sat there oblivious. I can live with that though and gradually managed to pull away when the road became a bit less of a straight drag.

Did encounter a couple of aggressive groups though travelling at speed very close to my elbow that was compounded when their tail guy cut across me very sharply, but this was definitely a minority.

The ponies and cattle certainly made for some unpredictable moments though!

rickyrider

Postby rickyrider » Tue Oct 08, 2013 13:36 pm

FleetPaul wrote:One personal grumble. Team Sky kit and loads of it. The cycling equivalent of jumping on the Man Utd bandwagon and it looks silly on anyone who's slow, overweight or both.

I think that's a tad harsh. I've definitely noticed way more Sky kit on the roads in the past 18 months - definitely the Wiggo/Froome effect. But good on people for getting off their arses and onto a bike *

* Having said that, for those of you who do ride around in full Sky kit... just so you know, you do all look like pr*cks :twisted:

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Oct 08, 2013 16:03 pm

rickyrider wrote:
FleetPaul wrote:One personal grumble. Team Sky kit and loads of it. The cycling equivalent of jumping on the Man Utd bandwagon and it looks silly on anyone who's slow, overweight or both.

I think that's a tad harsh. I've definitely noticed way more Sky kit on the roads in the past 18 months - definitely the Wiggo/Froome effect. But good on people for getting off their arses and onto a bike *

* Having said that, for those of you who do ride around in full Sky kit... just so you know, you do all look like pr*cks :twisted:

I do have to have a quiet chuckle to myself when seeing ppl in full Sky kit - especially when they've got the matching Pina - although that's not very often ...

I also have a little chuckle about those on mega-expensive-carbon bikes just managing to drag themselves around the course little faster than the snails ...

But - it's their money, if they want to spend it on stuff that makes them feel good and think they look good on it then that's their choice.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 19:39 pm

So there is a major spring and autumn event in the NF and the rattler in August. Possibly others as well and loads of cyclists at weekends. I can understand why some of the locals might get fed up!

Der Kaiser

Postby Der Kaiser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 07:32 am

EPO Delivery Man wrote:
Dorset Boy wrote:Anybody notice this who did the rides over the weekend?
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/new-forest-sportive-hit-by-saboteurs-for-second-time-38616/

I didn't notice anything on the saturday, everything was working fine. But i did notice on the sunday, going to Peppa Pig World :-), that some of the signs leading into Lyndhurst had been torn in half and thrown about.

Most of the time in villages dotted about, all i saw were locals waiving at the riders. Thing is, the locals shouldn't knock it as it brings in thousands of riders all looking for local hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, pubs etc and brings money into the area. As i said, i did the saturday ride, stayed friday night and saturday night in a local cottage, took the family to locals pubs for meals out, visited Lyndhurst and spent money in the area.

I've read the local horse owners/riders are getting a bit shirty but maybe someone ought to tell them that they don't own the roads either. We all have to compromise and its not like there's a sportive in the New Forest every weekend, but I'm guessing they ride their horses every week, so they cant have it both ways.

The Cycletta is this weekend I believe and there are plenty of events that use the New Forest.

Having said that if the residents don't want cyclists there maybe they don't want the Government Funding for cycling that is going to the area that was recently announced.

I was due to do the Spring Sportive that was cancelled because of the rain.

By all accounts the amount of cars going through there in summer are more of an issue than cyclists.

I can see Sportives being subject to local approval in certain areas in the near future. When it is a couple of hundred people then the impact on the local area is minimal. However the bigger events can have an impact that upsets local residents. Other Sporting events such as football and rugby fall under these sort of controls so it is only fair that cycling events over a certain size will.

A few years ago Shropshire had very few Sportives now they are happening on a regular basis. I personally welcome them as I believe it's generally a good thing.

Fat Cat

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 09:57 am

Think you are always going to get mixed views from locals whichever part of the country you're in.

When I drove through Lyndhurst on Friday evening I noticed a sign outside a Cafe saying 'Wiggle Cyclists Welcome, Nimby People not'. So some local businesses certainly appreciate the extra business.

markhewitt1978

Postby markhewitt1978 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 am

rickyrider wrote:

Not really. The majority of Man U kit is worn by people who are not engaged in playing football at that moment, and quite likely don't ever play football. At least Sky kit tends to be worn by people who are actually cycling, which makes all the difference.

That said I wouldn't wear any team kit.

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 am

Fat Cat wrote:Think you are always going to get mixed views from locals whichever part of the country you're in.

When I drove through Lyndhurst on Friday evening I noticed a sign outside a Cafe saying 'Wiggle Cyclists Welcome, Nimby People not'. So some local businesses certainly appreciate the extra business.

I saw the same sign :D think it was outside a cycling friendly B&B. There's also one with a penny farthing outside (might be the same one)

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:53 am

markhewitt1978 wrote:
rickyrider wrote:

Not really. The majority of Man U kit is worn by people who are not engaged in playing football at that moment, and quite likely don't ever play football. At least Sky kit tends to be worn by people who are actually cycling, which makes all the difference.

That said I wouldn't wear any team kit.

I agree. Personally i dont have a problem with team kit of any kind, and its funny that people have a pop at Sky kit when there is in fact way more Radioshack and Omega Pharma team kit knocking about. But so what??! team kit looks good, its designed well and unlike football shirts (as mentioned above) its nearly always used within the sport and on the bike, unlike footballe shirts that people wear on the beach. I doubt you would see team cycling kit used outside of the actual sport.

Would i wear team kit on the bike? yeah probbably a jersey but not the whole look ie: bibshorts, gloves etc.

Also, if wearing a certain team jersey pushes you on a bit more then wheres the problem? i think we all need to chill out and just enjoy cycling, if we start digging each other out then we run the risk of becoming like golfers, only for the elite and everyone has to have the best kit or they are shunned.

If cycling became like that for me i would drop it dead tomorrow and pick up another sport to get into.

mattbabs

Postby mattbabs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 18:00 pm

Should the bike and jersey match? I saw someone yesterday on a Merida wearing a Garmin jersey (the old style with the big é from Cervélo). I immediately thought "you need a new bike or new jersey". Personally I'd have to buy a Cervélo as blue and pink aren't really my favourite colour combo.

RallyBiker

Postby RallyBiker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 18:11 pm

Rule #17 applies!!

Fat Cat

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 18:19 pm

EPO Delivery Man wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:Think you are always going to get mixed views from locals whichever part of the country you're in.

I saw the same sign :D think it was outside a cycling friendly B&B. There's also one with a penny farthing outside (might be the same one)

That was it - the one with the penny farthing

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 20:20 pm

I live not far from the new forest and have to say that Wiggle should either tone down the event ie numbers or move part of the route outside the forest, there's loads of options in the area.

My reasons for this bold statement are ....

The forest is a fairly unique place and attracts people that would prefer imo to enjoy this special space in peace.
This isnt a challenging route for a bike ride, even for someone new to cycling.
Traffic through the park should be massively limited and slowed to less than 20 mph.
Or perhaps close the park to all traffic apart from walkers.

ooo!!! and before you burn me at the stake, there are a couple of sportives that start just on the outside/edge of the forest and pop in and out of various edges without upsetting the locals or spoiling this area of natural beauty.

there i said it

bleeding lycra louts the lot of ya :roll: :lol:
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Oct 14, 2013 14:22 pm

It's not just the Wiggle sportive though is it ...

My brother and I went to Hatchet pond to watch our wives do the NF Cycletta on sunday - the amount of impatient, bad and sometimes downright dangerous driving was appalling. Given that many of the riders were clearly novice and uncertain on road positioning you would've thought the vehicle drivers would've given them a bit more time & space. I'm not quite sure how I didn't get on my bike and chase a few down ...

khisanth

Postby khisanth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

I did the one in autumn last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a fairly easy course, really nice scenery, nice weather and well organised. There are always people with less experience of cycling, group riding etc but you quickly get past them.

I don't care at all if people are sat behind me, what difference does it make whether someone is there or not?! There is a great photo of me with 6 people all behind me, I never even noticed!

As for team kit, I have no problem with anyone wearing it they are supporting a team or brand, nothing wrong with that. Wear what you want! However if you wear a king of the mountains jersey, make sure you are good at climbing :)

Am looking forward to the next one in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”