The best chain cleaner???

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Step83

Re: The best chain cleaner???

Postby Step83 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 16:42 pm

Imposter wrote:A chain lube that doesn't go black is not doing it's job properly...

True, maybe it wouldnt be an issue if it didnt some out the bottle in other colours, make it black out the bottle an no one will care anymore!

MugenSi

Postby MugenSi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 17:35 pm

Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
Pour some petrol into a container.
Put the chain in.
Swish it around a few times with an old paint brush.
Remove and dry with a rag.
Refit to your bike and lube with your preferred lubricant.

A sparkling clean chain guaranteed everytime.

amrushton

Postby amrushton » Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:51 am

Franco di Banco wrote:I bought a 5 litre pack of concentrated citrus degreaser from Screwfix. Will last for ever. Think it only cost me s tenner or so.

This. Either neat or diluted by a third. Best degreaser I've found and it's cheap. Also removes grease from clothes incl bike stuff. Apply to stain then wash

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Tue Apr 30, 2019 09:47 am

MugenSi wrote:Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
Put the chain in.

This or kerosene, then I rinse in clean water then apply Squirt. Only needs to be done once.

DrHaggis

Postby DrHaggis » Wed May 01, 2019 15:34 pm

SurferCyclist wrote:

Take off the chain.
Put the chain in.

This or kerosene, then I rinse in clean water then apply Squirt. Only needs to be done once.

How often do you apply squirt? I switched to it a while back, and it is nice to see the chain not turning into midnight in a few miles. However, after 3 commute days I start getting some squeaks on some gears (say 50x14-11, but nowhere else). So I'm either missing something obvious/doing it wrong or expecting the impossible.

EDIT: I didn't do a full chain degrease with the last chain (assembled early April)

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Wed May 01, 2019 15:48 pm

DrHaggis wrote:
SurferCyclist wrote:

Take off the chain.
Put the chain in.

How often do you apply squirt? I switched to it a while back, and it is nice to see the chain not turning into midnight in a few miles. However, after 3 commute days I start getting some squeaks on some gears (say 50x14-11, but nowhere else). So I'm either missing something obvious/doing it wrong or expecting the impossible.

EDIT: I didn't do a full chain degrease with the last chain (assembled early April)

If dry riding around 150-200miles inbetween applications. As it happens I "Squirted" my chain today, done around 160ish miles and it felt a bit dry when I rubbed it(oo-er etc). Anyway, I just wiped chain and cassette with clean rag and literally just put one drop on each roller. That's all that is needed on subsequent apllications. The initial application after cleaning with kero etc I put one on liberally, allow to dry and then another lot so chain is well dosed. If chain gets wet during a ride then I dry with rag and reapply. It sounds a faff but it's not.

mamil314

Postby mamil314 » Wed May 01, 2019 16:04 pm

Step83 wrote:
shiznit76 wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Use a lube that does not let your chain get filthy. I never need to clean mine. My chin never get sorry even doing 500km a week.

What lube do you use?

Curious on this, OK it doesnt take long to do but still a chain lube that doesnt go black is always nice.

He`s on Rock N Roll

GrannygearGaz

Postby GrannygearGaz » Wed May 01, 2019 16:23 pm

Another fan of the park tool here. I use it with the green Gunk degreaser, its biodegradable and still works great diluted 50/50.

I use the chain cleaner, pour the remaining degreaser into a cup and use a brush to do the rings and cassette. Then wash the bike as usual and rinse the whole lot down. Dry the chain with a rag, let it air dry properly then use Weldtite wet lube, wiping off any excess. Works for me, nice and quiet for a weeks riding unless it's raining.

I always do it after a ride so the bike sits overnight to allow the lube to bond with the chain, don't get any lube flinging off this way.

davetex

Postby davetex » Wed May 01, 2019 18:05 pm

I'm a big fan of the Fenwick's foam and sponge, simple, and quick. Always found the cleaning machine efforts a bit much faff.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Thu May 02, 2019 13:12 pm

Imposter wrote:A chain lube that doesn't go black is not doing it's job properly...

Yup. Everything else is a search for a square circle. All you end up with is Squoval.

By the way, how do we know if you are the real Imposter?

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Thu May 02, 2019 15:32 pm

My chains don't go black and my chains are lubed. Not a square circle.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

DrHaggis

Postby DrHaggis » Thu May 02, 2019 16:19 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:My chains don't go black and my chains are lubed. Not a square circle.

What's this black magic you're resorting to? I could achieve this with a new chain every week or so.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Fri May 03, 2019 06:46 am

DrHaggis wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:My chains don't go black and my chains are lubed. Not a square circle.

What's this black magic you're resorting to? I could achieve this with a new chain every week or so.
Or by cleaning very regularly and/or use dry lube.

But I have a life, use my bike twice a day in all weathers and dry lube doesn't work well as a lubricant. Unless you re-lube every 100km.

#Squoval.

Glyno1

Postby Glyno1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 21:54 pm

amrushton wrote:
Franco di Banco wrote:I bought a 5 litre pack of concentrated citrus degreaser from Screwfix. Will last for ever. Think it only cost me s tenner or so.

This. Either neat or diluted by a third. Best degreaser I've found and it's cheap. Also removes grease from clothes incl bike stuff. Apply to stain then wash

same here, great stuff.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 22:07 pm

Sutton Rider wrote:(no its not a dating site), then hot soapy water, dry then lube.

Are you sure? :) :lol:

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Sun Jun 02, 2019 17:48 pm

Remove chain then attach each end to earth and electrode of an arc welder. This will burn off all the old grease.

Return to “Workshop”