Tire depth

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
User avatar
scott5
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 19:42 pm

Tire depth

Postby scott5 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 15:32 pm

Hi all,
I put a continental gp4000 tire the rear wheel of my orbea orca. I noticed after the first ride that I only have about 5mm between seat stay and tire. It used to be about 1cm gap. Still it rolls ok.
My question is can you get a shallower tire in size 28?

david7m
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 08:26 am

Re: Tire depth

Postby david7m » Sat Sep 07, 2019 17:20 pm

The 4000s are bigger than stated.

User avatar
Alejandrosdog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 20:16 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby Alejandrosdog » Sat Sep 07, 2019 19:56 pm

Go for a 25 and leave the massive wallowing but oh so on trend tyres alone. Or buy a marketing bike

User avatar
Ben6899
Posts: 7026
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby Ben6899 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:38 am

Just run 23s at 100psi.

It's funny how we look to reduce our frontal area as much as possible on TT setups - or even just in general (I don't bother) - but then opt for fatter tyres with increased frontal area
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

cougie
Posts: 22384
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby cougie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 15:34 pm

Ben6899 wrote:Just run 23s at 100psi.

It's funny how we look to reduce our frontal area as much as possible on TT setups - or even just in general (I don't bother) - but then opt for fatter tyres with increased frontal area


But the orca isn't a TT bike.

And seriously a slightly fatter tyre ?
I doubt that would even be measurable in the real world.

If you're advising someone on their hour record all well and good but for British roads - you need the extra air cushion.

User avatar
Alejandrosdog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 20:16 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby Alejandrosdog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 15:44 pm

cougie wrote:
Ben6899 wrote:Just run 23s at 100psi.

It's funny how we look to reduce our frontal area as much as possible on TT setups - or even just in general (I don't bother) - but then opt for fatter tyres with increased frontal area


But the orca isn't a TT bike.

And seriously a slightly fatter tyre ?
I doubt that would even be measurable in the real world.

If you're advising someone on their hour record all well and good but for British roads - you need the extra air cushion.



I think need is a bit strong.

User avatar
Ben6899
Posts: 7026
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby Ben6899 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 16:43 pm

cougie wrote:
Ben6899 wrote:Just run 23s at 100psi.

It's funny how we look to reduce our frontal area as much as possible on TT setups - or even just in general (I don't bother) - but then opt for fatter tyres with increased frontal area


But the orca isn't a TT bike.

And seriously a slightly fatter tyre ?
I doubt that would even be measurable in the real world.

If you're advising someone on their hour record all well and good but for British roads - you need the extra air cushion.


That's why I said even just in general. I don't worry about aero (I run squidgy 25s on my Gios) and I don't think anyone should worry about aero unless they're competing and looking for very marginal advantages.

At the same time, I think putting 28s on a race geometry road bike is a bit unnecessary and is mainly a result of what's deemed to be on-trend.

EDIT. OP, I'm trying to advise that you go back to the 25s or 23s if you're concerned. With no detriment to performance (probably marginal improvement).

Saying that, 5mm is sufficient clearance.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Svetty
Posts: 1889
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 16:29 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby Svetty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am

Ben6899 wrote:
cougie wrote:
Ben6899 wrote:
That's why I said even just in general. I don't worry about aero (I run squidgy 25s on my Gios) and I don't think anyone should worry about aero unless they're competing and looking for very marginal advantages.
Or riding with their mates and trying not to get dropped when the stronger riders put the hammer down :D
FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D

crankycrank
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Tire depth

Postby crankycrank » Wed Sep 11, 2019 23:01 pm

A 5mm gap is fine, no need to change tyres.


Return to “Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ingle, mal99, Matthewfalle, Shortfall, thecycleclinic and 12 guests