Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Bo Duke

Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Bo Duke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 00:09 am

Dubai could host the start of the Giro d'Italia in the next few years as the globalization of the sport continues and event organisers look for new sources of funding for major events.

The middle eastern Emirate will host the Dubai Tour - its first international stage race, in February 2014 in partnership with RCS Sport. Key staff from Dubai visited the Giro d'Italia in May and were at Il Lombardia and the 2014 Giro d'Italia presentation in Milan on Monday to learn more about the technical and promotional aspects of professional cycling.

Cyclingnews has discovered that the idea of hosting the Giro d'Italia Grand Partenza is already being considered.

The Middle East has hosted early-season races in Qatar and Oman for several years and other sports have tapped into the wealth and the passion for sport in the area to boost their international profile.

The Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a Espana and the Tour de France have started in various parts of Europe before, with riders and race staff flying from Denmark to Italy and from the Netherlands to Spain in recent years. Logistics and travel are becoming less and less of a problem. There is only a two-hour time difference between Italy and Dubai.

RCS Sport obtained dispensation from the UCI for an extra rest day in the 2014 Giro d'Italia after three days of racing to allow teams to make the three-hour flight from Ireland to Italy. A similar schedule could open the door to a Grand Tour start in the Middle East or even on the East coast of the USA.

"This is something were working on and were going to discuss as part of our strategy with the Giro organisers," Mohammed Merhab Al Sabagh, a board member of the UAE Cycling Federation and the head of the technical and sport division of the Dubai Tour told Cyclingnews after the Giro d'Italia presentation.

"We've seen how Northern Ireland and Ireland have organised the opening three stages and that's fabulous. Next year we're going to watch the stages in Belfast and Ireland and see how they do, then open the door to negotiations with RCS Sport and the Giro to host one or two stages in Dubai."
+++

Money, money, money. We can buy the world, we can buy credibility. Tradition is dead, money is destroying sport.
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

RoadPainter

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby RoadPainter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 00:17 am

Dubai in early May. Scorchio!

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 06:02 am

Standard. Sports corruption + variable location = hosting inappropriate sports in wealthy arab countr.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/acquaro ... -rcs-sport

BenderRodriguez

Postby BenderRodriguez » Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:54 am

Bo Duke wrote:Money, money, money. We can buy the world, we can buy credibility. Tradition is dead, money is destroying sport.

Quite so. It was bad enough when Murdoch's dirty money effectively bought British Cycling, but Dubai is little more than a oppressive dictatorship built and serviced by slave labour.
"an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:05 am

Never understood the fascination with Dubai myself. A concrete jungle built in the sand, with a bit of bling attached, wasnt this done years ago in Las Vegas?!

People that love Dubai and flock to it usually happen to be either money grabbing b@stards or money grabbing wannabes.

You cant even kiss on the beach ffs, so what happens with stage winners kissing podium girls?

Couldnt think of anything worse.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:08 am

I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

It's almost as bad as if they were to hold the UCI world championships in a desert country with no hills... Oh wait!

Ed-tron

Postby Ed-tron » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:06 am

Paul 8v wrote:I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

It's almost as bad as if they were to hold the UCI world championships in a desert country with no hills... Oh wait!

Whenever the 2020 Qatar football world cup is debated on the radio for the absurdity that it is, Im reminded that the 2016 road cycling worlds are there, and this whole 'build a hilly course' lark.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:12 am

Ed-tron wrote:
Paul 8v wrote:I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

Whenever the 2020 Qatar football world cup is debated on the radio for the absurdity that it is, Im reminded that the 2016 road cycling worlds are there, and this whole 'build a hilly course' lark.

Yes. Another of Pat and Hein's legacies.

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:59 am

I suppose it's always been a commercial sport - but The Giro in Dubai just doesn't do anything for me - hopefully will never happen.
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

Bo Duke

Postby Bo Duke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

I hope the UCI ethics committee investigate and reveal how much Pat was paid.
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

afx237vi

Postby afx237vi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I said it would happen once they announced the third rest day for next year's race.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:06 pm

I'm not sure this is much different from having it in belfast really....
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:35 pm

In a few 1000 years, when temps have cooled to the merely dangerous, intrepid survivors will stumble upon these insane follies in the desert with great awe. The very least we can do for them is a legendary Pink jersey for Cav, having made the front group in the dust-storm echelons.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

RoadPainter

Postby RoadPainter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 22:17 pm

EPO Delivery Man wrote:Never understood the fascination with Dubai myself. A concrete jungle built in the sand, with a bit of bling attached, wasnt this done years ago in Las Vegas?!

People that love Dubai and flock to it usually happen to be either money grabbing b@stards or money grabbing wannabes.

You cant even kiss on the beach ffs, so what happens with stage winners kissing podium girls?

Couldnt think of anything worse.

Incorrect! At least stick to the facts when you rant!

Return to “Pro Race”