Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
Bo Duke
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:53 am

Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Bo Duke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 00:09 am

Dubai could host the start of the Giro d'Italia in the next few years as the globalization of the sport continues and event organisers look for new sources of funding for major events.

The middle eastern Emirate will host the Dubai Tour - its first international stage race, in February 2014 in partnership with RCS Sport. Key staff from Dubai visited the Giro d'Italia in May and were at Il Lombardia and the 2014 Giro d'Italia presentation in Milan on Monday to learn more about the technical and promotional aspects of professional cycling.

Cyclingnews has discovered that the idea of hosting the Giro d'Italia Grand Partenza is already being considered.

The Middle East has hosted early-season races in Qatar and Oman for several years and other sports have tapped into the wealth and the passion for sport in the area to boost their international profile.

The Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a Espana and the Tour de France have started in various parts of Europe before, with riders and race staff flying from Denmark to Italy and from the Netherlands to Spain in recent years. Logistics and travel are becoming less and less of a problem. There is only a two-hour time difference between Italy and Dubai.

RCS Sport obtained dispensation from the UCI for an extra rest day in the 2014 Giro d'Italia after three days of racing to allow teams to make the three-hour flight from Ireland to Italy. A similar schedule could open the door to a Grand Tour start in the Middle East or even on the East coast of the USA.

"This is something were working on and were going to discuss as part of our strategy with the Giro organisers," Mohammed Merhab Al Sabagh, a board member of the UAE Cycling Federation and the head of the technical and sport division of the Dubai Tour told Cyclingnews after the Giro d'Italia presentation.

"We've seen how Northern Ireland and Ireland have organised the opening three stages and that's fabulous. Next year we're going to watch the stages in Belfast and Ireland and see how they do, then open the door to negotiations with RCS Sport and the Giro to host one or two stages in Dubai."
+++

Money, money, money. We can buy the world, we can buy credibility. Tradition is dead, money is destroying sport.
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

RoadPainter
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 23:37 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby RoadPainter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 00:17 am

Dubai in early May. Scorchio!

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 44012
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 06:02 am

Standard. Sports corruption + variable location = hosting inappropriate sports in wealthy arab countr.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/acquaro ... -rcs-sport

User avatar
BenderRodriguez
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 08:10 am

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby BenderRodriguez » Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:54 am

Bo Duke wrote:Money, money, money. We can buy the world, we can buy credibility. Tradition is dead, money is destroying sport.


Quite so. It was bad enough when Murdoch's dirty money effectively bought British Cycling, but Dubai is little more than a oppressive dictatorship built and serviced by slave labour.
"an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.

User avatar
EPO Delivery Man
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:35 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:05 am

Never understood the fascination with Dubai myself. A concrete jungle built in the sand, with a bit of bling attached, wasnt this done years ago in Las Vegas?!

People that love Dubai and flock to it usually happen to be either money grabbing b@stards or money grabbing wannabes.

You cant even kiss on the beach ffs, so what happens with stage winners kissing podium girls?

Couldnt think of anything worse.

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5331
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Paul 8v » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:08 am

I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

It's almost as bad as if they were to hold the UCI world championships in a desert country with no hills... Oh wait!

Ed-tron
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 16:23 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Ed-tron » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:06 am

Paul 8v wrote:I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

It's almost as bad as if they were to hold the UCI world championships in a desert country with no hills... Oh wait!


Whenever the 2020 Qatar football world cup is debated on the radio for the absurdity that it is, Im reminded that the 2016 road cycling worlds are there, and this whole 'build a hilly course' lark.

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:12 am

Ed-tron wrote:
Paul 8v wrote:I suppose it's like football i.e. corrupt governing body accepts large sum of cash to hold football tournament in mega hot country then after they have spent all their ill gotten gains and actually think about it realise it will be too hot to actually hold a tournament there and desperately try and move all the other fixtures to suit.

It's almost as bad as if they were to hold the UCI world championships in a desert country with no hills... Oh wait!


Whenever the 2020 Qatar football world cup is debated on the radio for the absurdity that it is, Im reminded that the 2016 road cycling worlds are there, and this whole 'build a hilly course' lark.



Yes. Another of Pat and Hein's legacies.

User avatar
DeVlaeminck
Posts: 5301
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 20:34 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby DeVlaeminck » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:59 am

I suppose it's always been a commercial sport - but The Giro in Dubai just doesn't do anything for me - hopefully will never happen.
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

User avatar
Bo Duke
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:53 am

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Bo Duke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

I hope the UCI ethics committee investigate and reveal how much Pat was paid.
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

User avatar
afx237vi
Posts: 12263
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 22:32 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby afx237vi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I said it would happen once they announced the third rest day for next year's race.

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 19643
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby ddraver » Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:06 pm

I'm not sure this is much different from having it in belfast really....
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Macaloon
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 09:38 am

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby Macaloon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:35 pm

In a few 1000 years, when temps have cooled to the merely dangerous, intrepid survivors will stumble upon these insane follies in the desert with great awe. The very least we can do for them is a legendary Pink jersey for Cav, having made the front group in the dust-storm echelons.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

RoadPainter
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 23:37 pm

Re: Dubai could host a future start of the Giro d'Italia

Postby RoadPainter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 22:17 pm

EPO Delivery Man wrote:Never understood the fascination with Dubai myself. A concrete jungle built in the sand, with a bit of bling attached, wasnt this done years ago in Las Vegas?!

People that love Dubai and flock to it usually happen to be either money grabbing b@stards or money grabbing wannabes.

You cant even kiss on the beach ffs, so what happens with stage winners kissing podium girls?

Couldnt think of anything worse.

Incorrect! At least stick to the facts when you rant!


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests