World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Re: World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 am

frenchfighter wrote:Seen very little criticism of Fabu, Gilbert, Sagan and similar riders. Is the consensus that they rode a fine race?

Fair. Mostly.

Sagan - was always going to struggle on that course.

Fab - didn't roll the dice really.

Gilbert - found wanting.

Salsiccia1

Postby Salsiccia1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 am

Mechanism wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOl2OPjewOE

Video of the carnage from Shimano service car point-of-view.

I just cannot imagine how hard those guys are. And I cannot imagine going through that, making the best attack and then coming second. Poor Purito *blub*.
It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

frenchfighter wrote:IN CYCLING, THERE ARE DAYS SOMETIMES WHERE YOU HAVE TO TAKE RISKS. TODAY I TOOK ONE TOO MANY, BUT THAT'S THE SPORT, THAT'S CYCLING. LUCKILY, I'M FINE.

Fair play to him for carrying on after that crash!

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:04 am

Nice.

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 am

plectrum wrote:absolutely no respect left for Bradley Wiggins - couldn't give a shoot about anyone else bar himself. Did it to Cav back in the Olympic Madison back in Beijing 2008 and did it again to Froome today.

The Madison in Beijing was a different matter entirely. Wiggo was wrecked by the time he came to race with Cav having raced in the IP and TP for 3 straight days before entering the Madison - with no rest day. Besides, I think Wiggo has made up for that somewhat with Cav with his ride for him in the 2011 Worlds and with his lead-outs in the 2012 Tour.

As for yesterday - Wiggo was invisible. I really can't see him doing much on the road in 2014 to be honest so it may be that he's finished on the road whether he's riding for himself or not.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Deleted
Last edited by frenchfighter on Tue Oct 01, 2013 16:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contador is the Greatest

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am

Daz555 wrote:
plectrum wrote:absolutely no respect left for Bradley Wiggins - couldn't give a shoot about anyone else bar himself. Did it to Cav back in the Olympic Madison back in Beijing 2008 and did it again to Froome today.

The Madison in Beijing was a different matter entirely. Wiggo was wrecked by the time he came to race with Cav having raced in the IP and TP for 3 straight days before entering the Madison - with no rest day. Besides, I think Wiggo has made up for that somewhat with Cav with his ride for him in the 2011 Worlds and with his lead-outs in the 2012 Tour.

As for yesterday - Wiggo was invisible. I really can't see him doing much on the road in 2014 to be honest so it may be that he's finished on the road whether he's riding for himself or not.

I usually defend Wiggins to the hilt but I cant go with the weather thing. He was perfectly fine and up at the front of the peloton at all times including descents in the pouring rain during the first few stages of ToB. The bizarre thing re his relationship with Froome is that apparently they were getting on amicably enough at the team hotel between Fri and race day.

Brailsford has a big call to make here re next year, I think.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:16 am

Daz555 wrote:

They had the rest of the world riding against them too, which to be honest I think was the main problem...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 am

Daz555 wrote:

They had the rest of the world riding against them too, which to be honest I think was the main problem...
- @ddraver

dsoutar

Postby dsoutar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am

Leaping off the GB love / hate bandwagon for a mo, what happened to Belgium ? They looked almost as good as Italy at one point (i.e. 5 on the front) then the next time I looked (had some unexpected visitors which diverted my attention for 15 mins or so) there were none except Gilbert IIRC

Edit: By the way, what's the Belgium press making of their performance ? Again, another team you'd have thought would have revelled in the conditions ?
Last edited by dsoutar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

adr82

Postby adr82 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am

Is that Wiggo showing his wet weather cornering skills at around 25s?

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am

Richmond Racer wrote:
EPO Delivery Man wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Out of curiosity and in the interest of balance: what does everyone make of the Irish team's performance?

All abandoned but dont see much comment about them here

Thats because they are f*cking rubbish. :roll:

Dont be a fool. This year's winner of LBL/a Tour stage/ Volta a Catalunya, and the rider who finished 5th on GC at the Vuelta, are far from, as you so charmingly and erroneously put it, 'f*cking rubbish'

You said 'The Irish Team'. So by team you actually mean one rider?

Im not being a fool, im simply stating fact. The Irish 'TEAM' are f*cking rubbish. oh hang on...i meant fekin rubbish.

r0bh

Postby r0bh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 am

EPO Delivery Man wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Dont be a fool. This year's winner of LBL/a Tour stage/ Volta a Catalunya, and the rider who finished 5th on GC at the Vuelta, are far from, as you so charmingly and erroneously put it, 'f*cking rubbish'

Im not being a fool, im simply stating fact. The Irish 'TEAM' are f*cking rubbish. oh hang on...i meant fekin rubbish.

There are two riders referenced in RRs post.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

EPO Delivery Man wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Dont be a fool. This year's winner of LBL/a Tour stage/ Volta a Catalunya, and the rider who finished 5th on GC at the Vuelta, are far from, as you so charmingly and erroneously put it, 'f*cking rubbish'

It took two riders to win that list, hence the way it is written. Two constitutes a team and it is fair question. Both Martin and Roche were tipped as contenders, but as someone pointed out upthread - they crashed.

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 am

One rider....two riders....

STILL

F*CKING

SHI*TE!

please show me anything different from yesterdays race.

Above The Cows

Postby Above The Cows » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Out of curiosity and in the interest of balance: what does everyone make of the Irish team's performance?

All abandoned but dont see much comment about them here

It rains a poop load in Ireland!

It also rains a poop load in lots of parts of Europe, the Mediterranean contrary to popular belief is not dry and sunny all year round. Added to that not all of say Spain has a Mediterranean climate, Galicia and the Basque country for example are very wet. It rains a lot in Portugal too especially in the winter.

Interestingly Froome comes from a place where you could really argue it doesn't rain much and when it does you sure as hell don't go out riding your bike as the roads tend to look like this:

OK not all of them but I think the argument that British people should be used to the rain because it rains a lot is a bit reductive and like saying a tiny Dutch person should be able to ride fine in 50kph cross winds because it is windy in the Netherlands. The way weather effects people is physiological as well as something you acclimatise to.
Correlation is not causation.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

Richmond Racer wrote:I usually defend Wiggins to the hilt but I cant go with the weather thing. He was perfectly fine and up at the front of the peloton at all times including descents in the pouring rain during the first few stages of ToB. The bizarre thing re his relationship with Froome is that apparently they were getting on amicably enough at the team hotel between Fri and race day.

I'm warming to you RR. You've seen the light! (from the perspective of someone who is not a Wiggins fan)

Brailsford has no call to make next year. Froome does what he wants. Wiggo does a few TTs, minor stage races and perhaps a GT in a wild card fashion.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am

Spain’s national coach Javier Minguez has criticised Alejandro Valverde’s failure to chase down Rui Costa when the Portuguese rider bridged across to Joaquim Rodriguez in the closing kilometres of the World Championships, and then went on to win.

Valverde has blamed his tactical error on not having the legs to follow Rui Costa. But for Minguez, who took over the job of Spanish trainer from Jose Luis De Santos this year, suggested that Valverde’s failure to react as the Portuguese rider jumped away was not satisfactory.

“Purito’s performance deserved a gold,” said Minguez, “and losing the gold in this way annoys me, although I’m pleased we got silver and bronze.”

“Joaquim raced fantastically well, but Valverde made a serious mistake. If Rui Costa goes for Purito, he has to go after him. If he had done that, he’d be in the rainbow jersey now.”

“He should have chased down anything that moved - even the television motorbike.”

“Okay, two medals is cause for a fiesta. But thanks to his error, we’re not World Champions.”
Contador is the Greatest

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 am

I suspect that the Rodriguez, Valverde and Costa Autobiographies in 10 years might make interesting reading....
- @ddraver

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 am

TheBigBean wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:I usually defend Wiggins to the hilt but I cant go with the weather thing. He was perfectly fine and up at the front of the peloton at all times including descents in the pouring rain during the first few stages of ToB. The bizarre thing re his relationship with Froome is that apparently they were getting on amicably enough at the team hotel between Fri and race day.

I'm warming to you RR. You've seen the light! (from the perspective of someone who is not a Wiggins fan)

Brailsford has no call to make next year. Froome does what he wants. Wiggo does a few TTs, minor stage races and perhaps a GT in a wild card fashion.

Sometimes you have to call it, Beanie. I'll still defend him if I think the criticism is unfair, mind you.

The call I have in mind is next year's TdF. I dont mean who's leader, that'll be Froome unless he gets crocked or sick. Its whether Brailsford can trust Wiggins to ride in support.

Return to “Pro Race”