Feel Good Cycling Moment

Julspro
Julspro Posts: 51
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
In the midst of all the negativity and disappointment in cycling, I decided to watch some races of the past. I put on the 2004 Tour de France and was treated to the ride of Thomas Voekler. Remember his ride? His 10 days in yellow?
It reminded me of <font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">why I love cycling - and the Tour.

I think everyone in the peleton was pulling for him. And the look on his face when he rode into the last kilometer of l'Alpe d'Huez - the pain and the determination.

Man I love that stage. One of my favorites.

Go ahead - think about your favorite cycling moment. It will make you feel better. I promise.

Have a great day everyone.
Juls

Caribbean Soul
Caribbean Soul

Comments

• Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Juls</i>

Go ahead - think about your favorite cycling moment. It will make you feel better. I promise.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Greg Lemond on the Champs Elysee 1989 tucked into those aero-bars

Lance Armstrong going across that field when Beloki fell or when he was taken down by that kid with the bag.
  • Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    Not so much a favourite moment, but an image that just sticks in my mind. I don't even remember the two cyclists involved, but it was in the Tour a few years back. They'd just crested a mountain and had started their descent in pursuit of a group of riders ahead of them.

At some point, the motorbike cameraman alongside focused on the bike's speedometer and it showed that the two riders were doing around 100km/h. Not satisfied with this the guy at the back gave the guy in front a gentle push as a sign to go faster!
  • Schnee80
    Schnee80 Posts: 21
    .... and all the more enjoyable as Thomas Voekler was<i> probably</i> clean.

That would explain why he looked in distress when climbing and genuinley ecstatic when he'd finished.
    IT'S NOT THE FEAR THAT KILLS YOU; IT'S THE HOPE.
  • Julspro
    I agree Schnee80. Voekler looked like he was properly suffing.

Caribbean Soul
    Caribbean Soul
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Sean Kelly winning Paris Roubaix for the first time,he was some rider.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Schnee80</i>

.... and all the more enjoyable as Thomas Voekler was<i> probably</i> clean.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    [:D]

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    Watching last years Vuelta and seeing the Astana boys attack Valverde.Great tv and fantastic racing.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Oh yeah! I watched the 2006 Vuelta gain lately and that was a treat! True teamwork.
  • campagchris
    I wish I had taped it last year,as still cant find it on dvd,has anyone seen it anywhere.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The classic Mapei rides at Paris-Roubaix, in particular Tafi's 2001 victory, where he looked back over his shoulder and then just rode off the front and solo'd to victory.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • campagchris
    Actually the best feel good cycling moment was getting back on my bike after too many years off.Meeting old friends who share the love of cycling,and enjoying our great sport hope to see you all on the radar.
  • Julspro
    Hi everyone - we had some good memories posted in the Procycling forum.

With all of the negativity in the world of cycling lately - it is good to remember why we love this sport and why we love the riders.

Everytime I see Thomas Voekler I think back to 2004 and his 10 days in yellow.

What is your favorite cycling memory?
    Caribbean Soul