Amnesty Anyone?

Autobus Straggler
Autobus Straggler Posts: 47
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Okay, this is just getting out of hand. 6000 new pages? More riders, up to 107 implicated. They are going to be calling me to ride in the TdF if this keeps up, not that i would mind or anything. Something must be done. What if the UCI, started over. Introduced brand new procedures, governed, by an outside, impartial body to test for EPO and the like. Introduce a one strike and your out rule. It would only take one or two riders being found guilty to completely nip this thing. As it stands, it is possible, not that we know the names yet, that half the pro peleton may not start cycling's grandest event, which for me would be quite sad.

Give me pave or give me death!

Comments

• Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    If it's true, 107 riders couldn't be clearer proof that the culture of doping is still ingrained in the sport.

An amnesty sounds reasonable, but why should we give riders found guilty a second chance? There cannot be a rider on the planet who does not know that doping is illegal. And yet they carry on doing it, seemingly happy to ruin the sport of cycling in the pursuit of personal gain.

I think we have to take an approach that severely punishes those that transgress the rules, while strongly supporting those teams that have stringent anti-doping measures and actively encourage an ethos of clean riding.
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    Sorry folks but i am going to have to hang tough on this one and oppose the amnesty suggestion. First of all it is a slap in the face for those riding clean, and secondly exactly how many warnins do these dopers need, the bans handed out to the likes of Hamilton and Heras seem to have had little effect as deterents. Hit the cheatersd and hit them hard.
  • turbo
    turbo Posts: 8
    Its very difficult to change an entire culture. If you see a rider coming back after a two year ban, and teams lining up to sign him on a very competitive salary, does that not say to us that many (and i dont mean all) of the pro teams/riders now just view this (getting caught) as an occupational hazard.
  • Interesting article on velonews.com
    http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/12312.0.html

• Spiralpro
    Spiralpro Posts: 34
    I would cautiously support calls for an amnesty. It may be a slap in the face to the clean riders but alot of those riders could dope on a constant basis and never come near the top riders dope or no dope. Not having an amnesty at this stage, would mean most of the riders we enjoy watching race would be gone from the pro peleton.
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    Pimched from cycling news.com/news 02/06/07

Bjarne Riis is just one of several retired and current racer to admit to doping, but whether more confessions will follow remains to be seen. Erik Zabel has also recently confessed to doping, but will not suffer punishment for his 1996 offense because he is beyond the statute of limitations. However, many other current racers are implicated in the ongoing Operaci¢n Puerto scandal, which has already been going on for a year and has no end in sight.

However, according to the Associated Press, UCI anti-doping manager Anne Gripper doubts the string of cyclists' confessions will continue if they face possible punishment. Several groups, including the Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC), have asked the UCI to consider amnesty for riders who admit to doping in order to encourage more riders to confess and allow the sport to move beyond current scandals.

"To create a new future you have to admit the past and learn from it. Only that way we can move on in a 'clean way,'" she said according to Berlingske Tidende on Friday.

"We hope that the latest statements from Germany and Denmark will be followed by other riders from other countries," Gripper said. "Let us be open about the past and confess what needs to be confessed."

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani told the Associated Press Friday that the UCI needs "some time to decide" regarding possible amnesty.