Basso running out of friends

alanmcn1
alanmcn1 Posts: 531
edited May 2007 in Pro race
CONI, who's exoneration cleared the way for Basso to ride for Discovery, will re-investigate hos involvement in OP. As a result Discovery have "asked" him not to compete. I doubt we will see him again. All I can say is, thank heavens. Basso trouncing the world this summer would have left a nasty taste in my mouth, on a personal level, and would only have resulted in further embarassment in the sport.

I really wish every rider in the peleton submitted a sample for comparsion to those blood bags. We finally know Ulirch was at it, and it wouldnt take long to lay the other rumours to rest!!
Robert Millar for knighthood

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Basso is a numpty if he thinks they are just going to let him free. He is the one they want to hit and prove was doping.

We all suspect that they are all at it, but the way he has tried to fob us off and treat us like fools is more contemptible than the others. I dont know why, I just feel he is smugly moving on with his career.

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • I admit Basso is a little iffy, however, what if he really is clean? I am young and still learning my cycling history, but did anyone cry out like this when the cannibal was burning up the roads in Europe? Some of his performances were flat out god-like. At some point, some riders have to be given the benefit of the doubt. I think if Basso is clean, it will really show the rest of the pro peleton that they simply dont want it as bad, and do not train for it hard enough.
    Also, I am a huge Boonen fan, but no one is crying out about his possibility of doping. Look at last year, unbeatable, now this year, post puerto, he just does not have the jump in his legs. I am just saying, lets not make scapegoats out of everyone.

Give me pave or give me death!
  • alanmcn1
    Poor analogies. Merckx was kicked off a Giro for failing a dope test, at a time when there were no real controls, and riders were using PEDs while no-one really cared. Boonen has had his problems being linked to allegations, but probably hasnt been as good this year due to a bad crash early in Flanders, and having a bad case of the runs in Roubaix (prior to that he was collecting wins nicely, thank you very much). Basso was the main name cropping up alongside big jan when Fuentes was invetsigated. We now know, for a fact, that jan was using bags of blood in Fuentes offcie to blood dope. I think only the most naive of people would think the bags named Brillo and 2 don't contain the angelic Basso's blood. Test him, kick him out, and rejoice in a cleaner sport!
  • Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    I think it can only be good for the long-term future of cycling that the investigation into Basso and Puerto has been reopened. Whether we like it or not cycling, has more doping baggage than any other sport and getting rid of it is going be a long, hard struggle.

If Basso is so indignant that he rides clean, he should be happy to submit to a DNA test so that it can be determined whether or not the blood in the Puerto case is his. However, I doubt if this will happen.

Of course, until any clear link is established, Basso is innocent. However, I can't help thinking that Bjarne Riis wouldn't have ditched a rider with the potential to win the prize he so covets - the Tour - unless he had very serious suspicions.

Ultimately, no rider is bigger than a sport with such an amazing tradition and history. If Basso and other stars are found to have dragged the sport through the mud yet again by doping, they need be given a life ban.
  • vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    Autobus,Boonen is a single man again after splitting with his partner and has had a busy time off the bike allegedly.
    Scott Sunderland mentioned it wasn't finished with Basso.
    Why couldn't this be all sorted now as the giro is just a couple of weeks away.
  • As i said, still learning about the history of the sport...i want a clean sport to, but I also want a sport in which the competition is intense and the media attacks are not...i suppose that is up to the riders and the teams...it would be nice to know once and for all who had their hands in the cookie jar over in spain, so i agree that if he cheated, he needs to be respoking wheels in some bike shop in italy.

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    This saddle boil has got to be lanced once and for all (No, that's not a pun!)
    Basso needs to give a DNA sample if he's innocent or 'fess-up if he's not.
    The same goes for all the other suspects and that includes the non-cyclists who's names have strangely avoided the press!

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Disco' wouldn't have 'rested' Basso unless they knew something was coming surely?

• Stark.
    I don't think Discovery have much of a choice. And if they haven't already prepared a plan for just this sort of scenario their season is going to be...er...interesting.

Presumably Basso must have given the team firm assurances before they signed him that he had nothing to hide. So, despite the supportive line being taken by Discovery, there must be some very intense conversations going on behind closed doors.

Leipheimer must be finding it tough keeping a grin off his face.
  • Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    I wonder if this will affect the transfer of the Discovery sponsorship to whatever there replacement will be?
  • Stark.
    You've got to think that any potential sponsor would be in 'wait and see' mode. If Basso is implicated what does that say about the team management's integrity and business acumen?

Judging by the 'Discovery wants you!' article on the ProCycling site, the team's already on the look out for a replacement.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stark</i>
    Judging by the 'Discovery wants you!' article on the ProCycling site, the team's already on the look out for a replacement.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    Well, Basso's now no longer with them: http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2776

---
    Jeff Jones

European News Editor, Bike Online Project
  • It is so easy to be a cynic in this regard, however I still belive basso has acted with a degree of integrity. Take this at face value - he feels Disco gave him a fair chance, he does the same for them. So far as I can see he has acted consistently throughout this process - no phantom twins, no booze, no dodgy labs, just a modest "I'm innocent". If he's genuinely found guilty, then throw the book at him, but till then there is nothing in the guy's results that suggests anything untowards and so, hey, maybe he is straight?
  • PS try this link to see some sense being applied to the wider debate on doping and its investigation http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=10888
  • OffTheBackAdam
    ***cough***INNOCENT UNTIL <b>PROVEN</b> GUILTY***cough***

• Stark.
    Basso's level of integrity will be determined once we get the full picture about Puerto and the blood is analysed. If it's found that he signed up for Discovery knowing full well that he had doped, that is not the act of a man of integrity.
  • Grumpy Bob
    Grumpy Bob Posts: 41
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FromPlanetX</i>

PS try this link to see some sense being applied to the wider debate on doping and its investigation http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=10888

That seems to me (on a cursory perusal - I'm at work just now and don't have too much time) to be a remarkably naive article.

People have been known to take medication to <b>cover up</b> doping. People have been known the be deliberately late for tests, to <b>avoid</b> being positive. This is why athletes are told not to take stuff without checking first with their doctor that they do not contain prohibited substances, and that tests must be taken as and when requested. Remember not all prohibited substances are themselves performance-enhancing.

FWIW, while I hope this doesn't happen, I expect that Basso's DNA will be found to correspond to some of the Fuentes blood bags, as will many other cyclists. It's a sad story.

Robert

www.northbucksroadclub.org.uk
    www.robertsaunders.org.uk
    www.northwoodwheelers.org.uk
  • esmit208
    esmit208 Posts: 41
    Indeed professional cycling is in a sad state of affairs and if scandals like the current one continue it will lose it's fan base. Unfortunately the almighty DOLLAR,EURO,LIRA,POUND,DENIERO,etc so heavily influences the quality of everyones life thus the never ending grind to have more of them goes on. Professional sport is not immune to the grind. We view it as riding a bicycle they view it as their livelyhood. Yes to win still matters to them but financial gain means more than we as the casual outsider looking in could ever imagine. However it's not just the riders looking to gain monetarily but people around the athletes looking to gain as well. Those people and will not be out of a job or disgraced should a scandal like this unfold they just fade into obscurity looking for other ways to earn a crooked living. The rider is not at fault by any means and shoul;d be held accountable. Like others, Mr. Basso will ultimately be held accountable.

Edward G. Smith
    Edward G. Smith
  • esmit208
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by esmit208</i>

Indeed professional cycling is in a sad state of affairs and if scandals like the current one continue it will lose it's fan base. Unfortunately the almighty DOLLAR,EURO,LIRA,POUND,DENIERO,etc so heavily influences the quality of everyones life thus the never ending grind to have more of them goes on. Professional sport is not immune to the grind. We view it as riding a bicycle they view it as their livelyhood. Yes to win still matters to them but financial gain means more than we as the casual outsider looking in could ever imagine. However it's not just the riders looking to gain monetarily but people around the athletes looking to gain as well. Those people and will not be out of a job or disgraced should a scandal like this unfold they just fade into obscurity looking for other ways to earn a crooked living. The rider is not without fault by any means and should be held accountable. Like others, Mr. Basso will ultimately be held accountable.

Edward G. Smith

Edward G. Smith
    Edward G. Smith
  • esmit208
    Well now that Mr. Basso has supposedly admitted guilt or at least involvement in this matter maybe it can be put to rest. Ultimately I feel Mr. Basso wil fade into cycling history in a much better light this way as opposed to fading away under a cloud of suspicion. Hopefully he learned a valuable albeit a harsh lesson. All cycling enthusiasts no doubt still have much respect for him but would have found it impossible to respect any cycling achievement by him from last year forward, i.e. Barry Bonds MLB. Hopefully he can act as a mentor for other up and coming cyclist. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by esmit208</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by esmit208</i>

Indeed professional cycling is in a sad state of affairs and if scandals like the current one continue it will lose it's fan base. Unfortunately the almighty DOLLAR,EURO,LIRA,POUND,DENIERO,etc so heavily influences the quality of everyones life thus the never ending grind to have more of them goes on. Professional sport is not immune to the grind. We view it as riding a bicycle they view it as their livelyhood. Yes to win still matters to them but financial gain means more than we as the casual outsider looking in could ever imagine. However it's not just the riders looking to gain monetarily but people around the athletes looking to gain as well. Those people and will not be out of a job or disgraced should a scandal like this unfold they just fade into obscurity looking for other ways to earn a crooked living. The rider is not without fault by any means and should be held accountable. Like others, Mr. Basso will ultimately be held accountable.

Edward G. Smith

Edward G. Smith

Edward G. Smith
    Edward G. Smith
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Echappee</i>

oh dear :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may07news3

Does that mean Ivan does have a dog called Brillio????
  • Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SpaceJunk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Echappee</i>

oh dear :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may07news3

Does that mean Ivan does have a dog called Brillio????

Exactly! Or rather <i>did</i> have a dog called Brillio. I wonder where he is now? He must feel bitter being discarded by his master like that.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    http://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/pro- ... 3671.shtml

So he has finally done the honourable thing and fallen on his sword... not sure he should get any favours for owning up though.

• OffTheBackAdam
    OK, so what's he actually saying now? Is this like ex-President Clinton's confession that he had a spliff, but not really because he "never inhaled"?
    Is it damage-limitation, because bags of his blood are in the heap from Dr Fuente's freezers, but there's no proof he has actually blood-doped?
    This festering pile of dung needs sorting out, it's reached the stage now, where with 2 of the "suspects" convicted of involvement, the others suspected need to be suspended by their teams and kept that way until they provide DNA samples to prove their innocence.

• rufvelo
    rufvelo Posts: 8
    He lost me at 'Hello' :)
  • off the back
    off the back Posts: 168
    At first yesterday I though well done Basso standing up and admitting what you have done. BUt after hearing the press conf I think he is insulting cycling fans everywhere!! He must really take us for some idiots!!! So we are expected to believe that he destroyed the entire field in the Giro and then decided that he might need to dope for the Tour cause he was so good. His climbing VAM in the last week was good enough to match and beat Lance at his best!

Have you ever heard so much rubbish and then I realised it is just another half ass confession

Dario Frigo - I had the drugs in my suitcase but never intended to use them
    Vandenbrouke - all for my dog guv!
    Rammusen [Lampre Guy] - all for the wife's mother!
    Musseuw - I did it just the once
    Millar - I won the world TT champ clean, honest boss!
    Landis - the lab is out to get me
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    ***cough*** GUILTY ***cough***

They were Basso`s exact words. [8D][8D][8D]
  • alanmcn1
    OfftheBack

you forgot the excuse to end all excuses.............the Tyler Hamilton Chimera twin in the Womb..........not even mudler and Scully would have bought that one