Chris B. bike reviews

AGILISMERLIN
AGILISMERLIN Posts: 21
edited April 2007 in The bottom bracket
It does seem a little odd, seeing Chris B. so out of shape doing bike reviews, no ?

<font size="4"><font color="maroon">Not very motivating IMHO</font id="maroon"></font id="size4"> [:0]

AmerliN

<font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">
<font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">

Comments

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    I'd rather read reviews by someone ( albeit slightly out of shape ) who knows bikes and was fanatical about his set up during his pro career that a review by a uber fit know nothing.
  • Although in the States, we are about a month behind in getting the latest issue of ProCycling (why's that, editors? You raise the price to $8.95, at least we can be currant?), I find Boardman's review of the Scapin steel and carbon right on, and I think Chris is reviewing from the point of view not of an all-out racer, but of a cycling enthusiast who would appreciate a nice ride over stiff and unforgiving. Although I do ride a sub 15 lb. carbon wonder bike most of the time,but I still really enjoy getting on my heavier, but great riding steel bike, from time to time. I think this is where Chris's true spirit of his reviews applies.

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • Much prefer Marcel's reviews. To my mind, they seem to be pretty spot on.
  • nikopro
    nikopro Posts: 21
    Marcel never seems to find fault with any bike,wheras CB does go through the pro's and cons of each bike.Chris was a perfectionist when racing,& i think this carries over to his reviews.I recon that CB is secure enough (in himself & his finances) to be able to give a totally unbiased review IMHO [:)]
  • As it looks by the photos of his bike show review of new 2007 components, Marcel prefers to eat cranks and tires, rather than test them. [:p] He lends more humor to his reviews than does Boardman,imho.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Although in the States, we are about a month behind in getting the latest issue of ProCycling (why's that, editors? You raise the price to $8.95, at least we can be currant?), I find Boardman's review of the Scapin steel and carbon right on, and I think Chris is reviewing from the point of view not of an all-out racer, but of a cycling enthusiast who would appreciate a nice ride over stiff and unforgiving. Although I do ride a sub 15 lb. carbon wonder bike most of the time,but I still really enjoy getting on my heavier, but great riding steel bike, from time to time. I think this is where Chris's true spirit of his reviews applies.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    onward ever onward
  • perhaps the "raisin" why you colonials get procycling a month late is your inability to spell correctly
    sorry could not resist it!
    onward ever onward
  • I agree re Marcels reviews, decent to read but never anything but praise.
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Plus, this month we had a review of the Scott Addict by MW and he completely failed to mention key features of the frame like it's 'press fit' Dura Ace bottom bracket. The fact that it also is more or less completely carbon, i.e. even the rear drop outs and hanger also got little mention. I enjoy MW's reviews and he is a decent cyclist and good writer but I think CB holds the edge in technical reviews.
  • I have no problem with Boardman's belly participating in any review. The man truly does know racing and bikes after all.
  • I can identify more with an overweight Boardman finding the going tough despite having an uberbike to ride on, yet choosing not to blame the bike, but be as objective and informative as ever, than I can with a still fit Wust wingeing on about the hardships of having to get up early to get to the aiport so he can ride around in the sun and be photographed on a bike that some poor product manager has gone to great lengths to supply him with, while actually saying very little of substance.

BTW, Do I get the prize for "most words in one sentence"?
  • onions
    onions Posts: 4
    Marcel's reviews are very positive and very little on the negative where Boardman seems to say it as it is. Both are good to read but CB should........

.........WEAR A F****** HELMET!!!!!!!!![:(!]

Rant over.

'If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong!'
    \'If it doesn\'t hurt, you\'re doing it wrong!\'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Boardman's still inclined to make irrational arguments about things like disliking carbon bars and stems which adds nothing, particularly prejudices developed on kit over 10 years ago.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I wonder what George Hincapie's thoughts on carbon fibre steerers are?

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nobrakes
    nobrakes Posts: 53
    I suppose Hincapie would've rather had a carbon steerer than one of aluminum, as the one he broke last year was made of.

<h6>"you can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan</h6>