Flanders

Autobus Straggler
Autobus Straggler Posts: 47
edited April 2007 in Pro race
Alright with the Tour of Flanders only a week away, I wanted to see if anyone else thinks that Quick Step might score the trifecta and bring bettini, boonen, and van petegem, 1,2,3. No one is saying anything about it, but if they break together, I think they can do it, the question is, which one of the three will cross first?

Give me pave or give me death!

Comments

• Spiralpro
    Spiralpro Posts: 34
    Boonen will cross the line in first. Can't see it any other way. Also he's now happy with his bike.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Is Freire riding? If so, I wouldn't bet the house on Boonen.
    Certainly between our three "Dancers", then my shirt would go on Boonen, if they hit the home straight together.

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Freire has categorically said he's not riding with his history of back trouble. Flanders is probably not difficult enough these days to enable a QS shut-out, particularly that the Koppenberg is missing and the resurfaced Muur isn't as decisive. I expect you'll see a selection between Berendries and Tenbosse, as an early break is pulled back and then the final effort launched over the top of the Bosberg.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Correction - Freire is riding, so has an outside chance but lack of course knowledge may impair him against the Begians and the likes of Paolini and Pozzato
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Although Freire has little to no course knowledge, he has some teammates that should, and in flanders, and all the classics really, esp. these days, it comes down to teams, and who can help who. There is the occasional break, Cancellara last year, but i Boonen wants this one. A bunch of stage wins in dubai is great and all, but this is what he wants. Not to mention bettini riding in the world's jersey. I dont think Freire has the incentive the others have. That is what i think will keep him from winning.

• campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    I thought Freire would have a great chance if his back holds out on the cobbles.Quinziato has been going well in races this season without any reward.Looking forward to watching it on eurosport.I hope David Harmon and Sean Kelly are doing the commentary.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    And a man none of us mentioned takes the trophy home.
    Ballan's back to show the Belgians how to do it.