ASO versus UCI

McNamara
McNamara Posts: 8
edited March 2007 in Pro race
When I made my previous post regarding the deteriorating situation with reference to Paris-Nice2007, even I did not think that things would turn out as bad as they currently are, in other words Paris-Nice increasingly unlikely to take place. Pro cycling needs this like a whole in the head and frankly running alongside the doping disputes this could turn many, many fans off this sport. The UCI and ASO are both acting like idiots, trying to show us all who can flex their muscles the most. STOP THIS NOW. GET ROUND A TABLE AND TALK.

I McNamara
I McNamara

Comments

• Well, there is no point to a pro tour without all the pro tour teams being involved. There I agree with the UCI, however the ASO have the right to invite who they like to their race.
    Why not look at reducing the number of riders in each team this would allow a couple of wild card teams. This would also make the race more tatical the leader is exposed more easily and so the team must think about tactics more. Also the teams in the pro tour should only be gauranteed their place for one season only, we should look back to relegation and promotion. Not millions of Euro buying a licence.
  • Both organisations should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute!
    Is it a case of "Those Damned Frenchies" vs "Perfidious Albion"? (Pat McQuaid probably wouldn't be at all happy to be labelled as a Britton)

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Paris Nice is a great race, the teams & riders want to take part - it'll be a disaster if it doesn't happen and might do far more to alienate cycling fans than any doping scandal would.

Its about time the UCI & McQuaid cut their losses with the whole Pro Tour thing and started getting back to basics.

This weekend should be all about the racing with Het Volk & KBK with Paris Nice also looming. Instead its turning into another tedious political mess.

I'm fed up of reading about McQuaid and I'm sure he isn't the person all young cycling fans have posters of on their walls
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It's an utterly deplorable situation, the teams are being used a chess-pieces in this game of egos between the UCI & the ASO.
    Ultimately it's going to be the fans who suffer the most, denied the sight of their favourite teams in the jewels of the cycle-racing world.
    Bothn the UCI & ASO should be thoroughly ashamed of their pig-headedness.
    Yes, ASO did save the Paris-Nice from its demise, yes the UCI has raised the bar in terms of the standard of racing and trying to globalise this sport. But they're doing their best now to destroy what's been built up over the past 5 years.
    Tossers the lot of them![:(!]

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Well, it's UCI v ASO second leg. And now it's just Unibet that's the ball.
    I hope they win their court cases against both organisations.

• Spiralpro
    Spiralpro Posts: 34
    I hope unibet win the case also. Its idiocy. Who doesn't know what the teams sponsor is??. Are the French going to ban the televising of other events on the grounds that Unibet will be in the race and the french public can see their jerseys on TV???.