Unibet farce

alanmcn1
alanmcn1 Posts: 531
edited February 2007 in Pro race
So Unibet are being banned from racing because of "sporting issues" by the GT organisers. What a farce, and what a PR disaster. Unibet can't compete, but Astana (still plagued by the spectre of Saiz), Tinkoff (Tyler Hamilton) and Disco (Basso) are welcomed with open arms. No wonder cycling isnt getting any cleaner!!
Robert Millar for knighthood

Comments

• Bang!!!!!!!!

That's the sound of our sport shooting itself in the foot yet again.

One day it will be about riders and races, as opposed to politics and narcotics.

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Both Astana and Discovery would've been there, dispute or not.

Unibet have bought into a system that is going to die soon. I feel for them but the system is closed and why shouldn't the organisers be able to invite who they like? McQuaid might say it's not closed because they've issued new licenses - Yeah Pat, because doping killed the previous teams.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I feel sorry for Unibet, but at the same time, the Grand Tour organisers have a right to decide who are and are not in their races. The UCI is trying to claw power away from ASO.
  • It stinks just like the Darts bodies shenanigans,The Big Dopey Operators(bdo) and Phils Dart Club(pdc).Its us that suffer.Hope the Paris-Nice is a great success.
  • Surely the point here is that the UCI wants the Protour, the teams want the Protour, the sponsors want the Protour and the riders want the Protour.

ASO and the the other organisers are commercial entitities seeking to make a profit from bike racing (and other sporting events).

You can't have the tail wagging the dog! Its time for a show of solidarity (assuming that everyone will stand by what they have publicly stated) and boycott these events. Its not as if there aren't a heap of other good events for the Protour to ride and after all its the riders that make a race not the organisers. Personally I would be just as happy watching good racing wherever it was to take place.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by carrera</i>

Personally I would be just as happy watching good racing wherever it was to take place.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Me too, but I want all of the top riders competing against each other in the top competitions. Not a split series.

• Sorry for harping on about darts but theres some great events for dart players, but the ones that T.V. companies and armchair fans want to see are the ones with Phil Taylor etc in, and not some wolfie in sheeps clothing ones.
    We and tv want to see the best riders compete with the other great riders.It cant be that hard to sit around a table and thrash some common ground out surely.
    All these bodies in various sports spoil everything for money and power.Look at the state of boxing now,all them weights and at least 3 world champions to each weight.As carrera said its the riders that make the races.Not the clowns who run it.We go to the circus to see the star performers and the clowns are the light relief between the performers,cycling has it the wrong way around in my book.
  • Its ironic then that darts has announced today a unifying tournament for the BDC and PDC is imminent for this autumn!

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimmythecuckoo</i>

Its ironic then that darts has announced today a unifying tournament for the BDC and PDC is imminent for this autumn!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    About time too.Its also announced today that Paris-Nice goes ahead
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Dea ... 10543.html