Sean Yates on the forum

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2007 in Pro race
Next Wednesday, February 7th, the <i>Procycling</i> forum will be featuring a 'live' chat with Discovery Channel directeur sportif Sean Yates. We are still finalising the details, but it will likely be an afternoon (~4pm GMT) session. Forum members will be able to pose questions to Sean, so if you're a guest lurker and want to participate, then please register.

We anticipate that this will be the first of regular 'pro' forum chats.

---
Jeff Jones

European News Editor, Bike Online Project

Comments

• Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jeff Jones</i>

Next Wednesday, February 7th, the <i>Procycling</i> forum will be featuring a 'live' chat with Discovery Channel directeur sportif Sean Yates. We are still finalising the details, but it will likely be an afternoon (~4pm GMT) session. Forum members will be able to pose questions to Sean, so if you're a guest lurker and want to participate, then please register.

We anticipate that this will be the first of regular 'pro' forum chats.

---
    Jeff Jones

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Jeff

What's the format? Should we pose our questions here and now or wait until he is here?
  • Anonymous
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cougar</i>

What's the format? Should we pose our questions here and now or wait until he is here?
    You can post questions now on this thread, or just wait until next week.

---
    Jeff Jones

• Excellent news,and worth waiting for well done.
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    Hi Sean,

Congratulations on an excellent career.

What do you consider to be your finest performance, and do you have any unfulfilled racing ambitions?

Thanks
  • Hi Sean,

I'm sure your sponsor will allow you to answer this fun question, or will they?

You've got œ5k in your pocket. Talk us through what frame, groupset and wheels you'd splash the money on.

(I know it's not about the bike but....)

Alf Two Heads
    Alf Two Heads
  • If you had a choice to be a pro now or back in the 80's which would you prefer. As goes best performance Paul Kimmage said in his book the best ride he ever saw was yours in the Nissan doing the Ring of Kerry on your own and holding off the bunch lined out for 90mile+ avg 25+!! Having raced that circuit that is savage!
  • I'd suggest using the questions from this interview [:D]

http://www.secretsofthepeloton.com/feat ... erview.htm

my personal choice from it would be:

<font size="1"><font size="4">You've got a five hour training ride. You can choose between either a howling headwind or torrential rain for the full duration. It's your choice.</font id="size4"></font id="size1">
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Hi Sean
    Are you an ex-pupil of Rudolf Steiner school? If so, how did this school shape you, considering that Steiner schools education philosophy for pupils aims for self-improvement, rather than competitiveness in the curriculum ( which is all quite different to the world you raced in as pro).

Also, what precise types of dedication in terms of yearly diet, training, as well personality traits and genetics are required to make a top professional cyclist?
  • Anonymous
    We've confirmed Sean for 4pm GMT next Wednesday. Keep those questions rolling in!

---
    Jeff Jones

• Sean,I saw you finish the stage to Luz Ardiden in the 94 TDF,where you came in 10 mins in front of the 'bus'.Speaking to Paul Sherwen later that evening,he said you came over the Tourmalet (the previous climb on that stage)with the bus,then put ten minutes into them down the descent.Was this the time you recorded your fastest speed descending?.Also,did you/do you have a favourite descent?
  • Hey Sean, I'm really wishing that George Hincapie will win P-R this year. What have the team mechanic's done to make sure that the bike doesn't break this year? Wasn't it that Chris King headset that failed last year? ~Bob Spit~
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Sean,

Why have Discovery Channel signed Ivan Basso given the likelihood that the evidence from Operation Puerto is likely to be available to the cycling authorities for disciplinary hearings later this year?

Bet you don't ask him that one!
  • How the heck do you fit in your work as DS along with training for your own races ?

How often do you like to try and give the Disco riders a hard time on training rides - is this becoming harder each year as your time as a pro rider gets further into the distance and you get older ?
  • woohoo-this is great!
    Really just to ask Sean;
    Then or Now? Which is your personal preference-as in fulfillment and job satisfying?
    And also to add that I always think of you as one of the gentlemen of procycling. Thanks very much
  • MSAIZ
    MSAIZ Posts: 6
    Sean,

You were quoted this year as stating that the Landis affair was "cycling's greatest crisis" But as a huge cycling fan and a sports nut in general I don't see how this is greater than what happened with Italy's football teams being demoted to two league below thier normal level of competition for fixing matches. The latest furor was Quick-Step being erroneously charged with running a complex doping scheme. From this side of the pond this looks like the witch hunt scene out of monty python's holy grail. So my question is to you is this just the beginning or are we going to throw all the riders in the water and see if they float to judge thier guilt. And what is the current level of interest by sponsors in continuing their support.

Thanks from Seattle
  • Hi Sean,what's the hardest climb you ever had to go over.Also if you had to buy one of the bikes you have ridden in your career which one would you go for.Many thanks for doing this its great getting feedback from the masters of the sport[;)]
  • Hello Sean,how highly did you rate Sean Kelly,and who was your closest friend in the peloton.Thanks
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cougar</i>

Hi Sean,

Congratulations on an excellent career.

What do you consider to be your finest performance, and do you have any unfulfilled racing ambitions?

Thanks
  • Seattle
    Was i? i cant remember that. Its an ongoing problem in sport in general that the people in charge are trying to get under control. There will always be people in all walks of life who will try and take short cuts, thats a fact we have to live with. Slowly it will get harder to cheat and that will put people of. And teams will understand its not the way forward.
    Sean
  • You grab your musette at the feed - what would you like to find in there?
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Mr Yates

Where is your favourite part of the world when in the saddle?

Mine was never on your wheel.

www.braveheartfund.com
  • Vinocough
    Sean Kelly
    Hardest man there ever was, i rated him very highly, both as a rider and as a person. My closest friend? Dag Otto and Alan Piper.
    Sean
  • Brian
    Thats because you are soft. My favorite spot for riding the bike is Nice, were i lived for 8 years. You got the mountains, the sea, great food and roads.
    Sean
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

Mr Yates

www.braveheartfund.com

You're both at the peak of your careers and, after a 200km Tour stage, you both come into the last 1k together. Its a flat, dead straight run to the finish - who wins - Sean Yates or Brian Smith?
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Hi Sean

What would you have done if you hadn't become a pro?

Also, which race did you look forward to the most, and why?

Thanks
  • Campagchris
    Hi, i would never buy one of the bikes i rode on as a pro, they are old hat now.
    I am not fussed as long as it is made to measure. Trek dont do that so it would not be one of theres. Hardest climb? These days its anything that goes up hill. From what i have seen it would be the Finestre that we did in 05 in the Giro
    Sean
  • BrianS
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Echappee</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

Mr Yates

www.braveheartfund.com

You're both at the peak of your careers and, after a 200km Tour stage, you both come into the last 1k together. Its a flat, dead straight run to the finish - who wins - Sean Yates or Brian Smith?

1992 Brit Champs....same scenario...Sean beat me. He will slow down one day and i will be there!

www.braveheartfund.com
  • Skut
    Hi, not sure, probably dig holes.The Giro is my favorite race. Better route and food than the Tour, and more relaxed.
    Sean
  • BrianS
    Sean

Since your retirement...what would you say has been the main change in the pro peloton?

www.braveheartfund.com
  • Sean,

From what you've read or heard, what gear are the pro's going to need for Zoncalon (apologies for spelling) in this year's Giro?

Alf Two Heads
    Alf Two Heads