Its not going away

vinocough
vinocough Posts: 56
edited June 2007 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/New ... 04321.html When are we going to get to the bottom of this.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinocough</i>

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/New ... 04321.html When are we going to get to the bottom of this.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This is could end a few careers I think. Tyler will be praying he has no DNA left at Fuentes labs, yet the fax to his wife shows the business relationship, assuming the fax is not forged, is factual and proves beyond doubt Tyler was working with Fuentes. Ullrich and Basso in the dock, threatened with perjury if they don't tell what was going on...threats of jail worked for David Millar...I think this is the way to go...to get honesty from the riders...the option Virenque and David Millar chose when jail time was a prospect was confess!
  • Reading in the mag the article by Daniel Friebe, and the basso discovery one, so much of this could have been cleared up,but if it was just red cells stored it wouldn't have shown anything.Maybe thats why basso has agreed now to have a dna test,he knows he's safe to do so.If he had said from the start he would be dna tested for this purpose only(to clear his name)it would have helped his case I feel.But now nothing is certain,except his dogs name [:0] spelling
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

Reading in the mag the article by Daniel Friebe, and the basso discovery one, so much of this could have been cleared up,but if it was just red cells stored it wouldn't have shown anything.Maybe thats why basso has agreed now to have a dna test,he knows he's safe to do so.If he had said from the start he would be dna tested for this purpose only(to clear his name)it would have helped his case I feel.But now nothing is certain,except his dogs name [:0] spelling

Red blood cells may not have nuclei, but a preparation of red blood cells will never be free of other cells, such as white blood cells, which do have nuclei ans therefore can be used for DNA testing.

Robert
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I suspect the blood will never be released for testing. And I'm wondering, if everyone who was treated by him says they never suffered ill health because of his treatments, and he's stored the blood correctly, there is no crime, n'est pas?

Add into this mess that the accounting of the bags by the Spanish police was flakey at best, and I reckon there will be a lot of questions around the custody of the bags since June - A halfway decent lawyer would make it impossible to use them for any doping sanctions.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Iainf72,

Just suppose some of those bags of blood are DNA tested and found to correspond with Basso's DNA sample (or that of any one of the other accused cyclists). That is open and shut and incontrovertible evidence that Fuentes was holding their blood. They would have to be a really really really excellent lawyer to get them off that hook. No amount of loose paperwork would cause a false positive DNA test.

Robert
  • Do any of you believe that the actions of OP will cause the abusers in the peloton to stop using pharmaceutical help? Will it just drive the users further under the UCI radar. Mustn't forget that the UCI used to mostly turn a blind eye towards doping years ago, and now they have to {reluctantly} police the monster they allowed to grow. Just my 00.02 pence, FWIW. I might add that cycling's problems would pale in comparison, if it were compared to American football or baseball, if the truth were ever told. I'm just ranting, here, but I believe winning at any cost is not really winning.

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grumpy Bob</i>

Iainf72,

Just suppose some of those bags of blood are DNA tested and found to correspond with Basso's DNA sample (or that of any one of the other accused cyclists). That is open and shut and incontrovertible evidence that Fuentes was holding their blood. They would have to be a really really really excellent lawyer to get them off that hook. No amount of loose paperwork would cause a false positive DNA test.

Agreed to a degree Bob, but if there are custody issues around the blood (and seeing as the police appear to have "lost" quite a few bags I would say there are serious issues), would a court be confident the DNA wasn't introduced? After all, all the suspects have their blood stored in various WADA or UCI labs around Europe.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Am I the only person who thinks they will all get off? :0(

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just putting a little known fact to your attentions. As read in Procycling Magazine; these Blood Samples in the Peuto Affair do not have any DNA matter floating about. Just like the Blood Doning service they split the blood into it's various components; Plasma, White Cells and Red Bllod Cells. The bike riders samples only contain Red Blood Samples which "TA DA!!"" contain no Nucleus and so no DNA. That's why these Charlies are willing to do a DNA test; it won't catch anyone.
    Ciao Jerome
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Actually, i checked with my haematologist grandpa and they can be identified through DNA from those samples. Though the red blood cells themselves contain no DNA, there is bound to be some remains of plasma in the bags. It seems total separation is not really possible and some genetic data will always remain in red blood cell samples. The tests will be harder and may require more tries or a bigger sample of the red blood cells to ensure the presence of suficient genetic data to cross-reference. The results would still be rock-solid, even if the riders would have a greater chance of getting the results refuted on a lab technicality in some kind of disciplinary hearing. The results should stand in a court of law, though, as the technique has been used in many countries and resulted in convictions. They did match Ullrich, didn't they?

Just thought I'd pass this info from someone way more qualified than most of us here will ever be.