FLOYD THROWS IN THE TOWEL

AGILISMERLIN
AGILISMERLIN Posts: 21
edited January 2007 in Pro race
FLOYD THROWS IN THE TOWEL.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11346.0.html

aMERLIn

<font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">
<font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">

Comments

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Y'see the old Caps lock key, just above Shift and below Tab, yup, yeah that's it.

Don't leave it on...
  • OOPS SORRY

AmerliN

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sad to hear Floyd giving up. Hope he reconsiders, especially if he proves his positive was a mistake. I'm already losing interest in next year's race...

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • I don't know if Floyd doped or didn't dope and because the WADA labs are so shabbily run, neither does anybody else, except maybe Floyd himself. Until the riders wise up and demand professionally run laboratories, innocent riders are gonna get screwed and guilty ones will always have a way to blame somebody else for their actions. Cycling needs labs that everybody can trust. And, given the way the WADA lab handled Floyd's samples and that 132 page report that followed the accusations that Lance Armstrong took EPO in 1999, it should be obvious that the WADA labs are at best, incompetent and at worst, subject to the whims of whoever is running them. The riders and UCI need to make WADA bring their labs up to professional standards so that when they do declare a positive finding, we can actually believe them.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    get real mate
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muscogee Blue</i>

I don't know if Floyd doped or didn't dope and because the WADA labs are so shabbily run, neither does anybody else, except maybe Floyd himself. Until the riders wise up and demand professionally run laboratories, innocent riders are gonna get screwed and guilty ones will always have a way to blame somebody else for their actions. Cycling needs labs that everybody can trust. And, given the way the WADA lab handled Floyd's samples and that 132 page report that followed the accusations that Lance Armstrong took EPO in 1999, it should be obvious that the WADA labs are at best, incompetent and at worst, subject to the whims of whoever is running them. The riders and UCI need to make WADA bring their labs up to professional standards so that when they do declare a positive finding, we can actually believe them.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, 'cos the courts are full of athletes suing WADA run labs aren't they.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muscogee Blue</i>

I don't know if Floyd doped or didn't dope and because the WADA labs are so shabbily run, neither does anybody else, except maybe Floyd himself. Until the riders wise up and demand professionally run laboratories, innocent riders are gonna get screwed and guilty ones will always have a way to blame somebody else for their actions. Cycling needs labs that everybody can trust. And, given the way the WADA lab handled Floyd's samples and that 132 page report that followed the accusations that Lance Armstrong took EPO in 1999, it should be obvious that the WADA labs are at best, incompetent and at worst, subject to the whims of whoever is running them. The riders and UCI need to make WADA bring their labs up to professional standards so that when they do declare a positive finding, we can actually believe them.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You are a victim of the strategy taken by US riders following positive tests, in which they attempt to distract the public from the embarrassing fact of a definite positive test by throwing wild accusations that would surprise even the most hardened conspiracy theorist.

Hamilton was caught fair and square and was lucky to avoid losing his Olympic gold. I suspect he will have another season before Operacion Puerto moves through the Spanish courts, whereupon he <i>may</i> find himself in hot water again. I have not seen a convincing answer to Landis' high levels of exogenous testosterone, other than spurious accusations of malpractice within the testing lab. And, yes, I have read the documents produced by Landis' friendly MD pal (who is after all unlikely to be unbiassed).

Robert
  • I'm neither for or against Landis but as I understand the test result was marginaly on the positive side. If WADA had not adjusted the limit, raised the bar - as they did last year. Landis would not be positive.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Sad to hear Floyd giving up. Hope he reconsiders, especially if he proves his positive was a mistake. I'm already losing interest in next year's race...

I wouldn't give up on the Tour yey. Astana have their pro tour licence now. Vino versus Basso doesn't sound too bad to me! Throw a bit of Valverde in there......... Lets get Jan and Landis back for one more go and then we have a race!

<b>If you want to add your support for Jan Ullrich at this time, (guilty or not that is a ****ty way he is being treated) please go to this website and register your support. http://www.freie-fahrt-fuer-ulle.de/</b>

It is a certainty that if you do not have Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso at the 2007 Tour de France, you will not have a valid (best grand tour rider in the world) winner.
  • I'm not really giving up...just hate to see Floyd blowing his entire networth defending himself from what looks like a bogus positive, IMHO. Thin accusations of other stars like Ulrich or Basso seem trumped up by the UCI and govering braintrust. I know there is a doping problem...but why ruin careers on such thin evidence? To here Patrick LeFevere of Quickstep condemn Disco because for hiring Basso, when other "suspects" are ignored seems a pitiful attempt at making a glorious stand. This is what I object to. All the drama and postulating that goes on in the early season. By the time the season gets underway, Bruyneel and Lafevere will be good buds and laughing together in the teamcars...It's all for public consumption.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by carbon</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Sad to hear Floyd giving up. Hope he reconsiders, especially if he proves his positive was a mistake. I'm already losing interest in next year's race...

I wouldn't give up on the Tour yey. Astana have their pro tour licence now. Vino versus Basso doesn't sound too bad to me! Throw a bit of Valverde in there......... Lets get Jan and Landis back for one more go and then we have a race!

<b>If you want to add your support for Jan Ullrich at this time, (guilty or not that is a ****ty way he is being treated) please go to this website and register your support. http://www.freie-fahrt-fuer-ulle.de/</b>

It is a certainty that if you do not have Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso at the 2007 Tour de France, you will not have a valid (best grand tour rider in the world) winner.

• "Landis' high levels of exogenous testosterone"

Just to be a picky git for a second, Landis' test allegedly showed a) an elevated Testosterone:Epitestosterone ratio as a result of a lowered Epitestosterone level. Subsequent isotope analysis indicated the presence of exogenous testosterone.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes indeed that is true but there is plenty of evidence that it possibly got there by ways other than illegal dosing. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

There are <b>claims</b> that it got there by other means, just as there are when any athlete goes positive, and those claims always cover the range from quite unlikely to fricking ludicrous.

Yes, the lab process must be watertight and the subsequent legalistic procedure must be fair, but it's hard to take these protestations seriously when the subsequent process so often ends in a ban.
  • Lets hope he doesn't throw it after having a pint and a whiskey then or it will go miles
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

I'm not really giving up...just hate to see Floyd blowing his entire networth defending himself from what looks like a bogus positive, IMHO. Thin accusations of other stars like Ulrich or Basso seem trumped up by the UCI and govering braintrust. I know there is a doping problem...but why ruin careers on such thin evidence? To here Patrick LeFevere of Quickstep condemn Disco because for hiring Basso, when other "suspects" are ignored seems a pitiful attempt at making a glorious stand. This is what I object to. All the drama and postulating that goes on in the early season. By the time the season gets underway, Bruyneel and Lafevere will be good buds and laughing together in the teamcars...It's all for public consumption.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by carbon</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Landis was suspended by his team following a positive test. It was not a bogus positive, there is no conspiracy theory, and I think that the crooked cyclists involved with Fuentes will get their just desserts once the Operacion Puerto case makes it through the Spanish courts. I am just saddened that this will be just before the 2007 Tour.

Note that Basso has not been cleared (and reports say the case against Ullrich will be suspended pending completion of Operacion Puerto) - he will ultimately have to answer a case I think.

Robert
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by carbon</i>

I'm neither for or against Landis but as I understand the test result was marginaly on the positive side. If WADA had not adjusted the limit, raised the bar - as they did last year. Landis would not be positive.

According to Dick Pound:
    Normal people have a testosterone:epitestosterone ratio of 1:1, sometimes reaching as high as 2:1.
    The WADA limit <i>was</i> 6:1, but there was evidence that athletes were taking testosterone and fine-tuning their doping to keep the ratio below that level. The limit was therefore reduced to 4:1.
    Landis' result was 11:1. That is not marginal.

I have read the PowerPoint presentation prepared for Landis' public defence by his doctor friend (which aims to discredit the data), and I am afraid it relies on selective cutting and pasting of documents and rather sly misrepresentation of data to make its case.

Robert
  • nikopro
    nikopro Posts: 21
    Still,sad news all the same.People seem to overlook the fact that Pedro Delgado tested positive for a substance that was on one authorities banned list,but kept his TDF victory,as the same product wasn't on the governing bodies banned list until the end of that year.Seem to remember it was a masking agent he took,& there were no denials that he took it,just that the governing body didn't ban it 'till the end of the year.SHAME