What does it take

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited January 2007 in Pro race

Comments

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    'Dedication' if you want to be a record breaker!

I feel pain!!!!
    I have pain!
  • jdfyfe
    jdfyfe Posts: 21
    ...alright Dave_1 fancy meeting you here [;)]
  • dave_1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ivancarlos</i>

'Dedication' if you want to be a record breaker!

I feel pain!!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

lol...definitely, but many had that

perhaps deep, but I'd say

1. certain personality flaws

2.genetics

3.dedication

to have all three is rare...hence so few make it,
  • jdfyfe
    ...should no. 2 not be 'genitals' [:I]
  • dave_1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jdfyfe</i>

[8D] Hi Jdfye,yes, we a new forum it seems..somewhere new to have a bit of banter
  • ivancarlos
    Definitely No.1 personality flaws - one of the funniest cycling related things I ever read was about Bernard Hinault in Tim Moore's book. I quote, "His nickname was Badger, which sounds a bit Wind in the Willows unless you happen to have seen one in action against two Jack Russells in a video seized by the RSPCA. Hinault's default demeanor on a bicycle suggested he'd just been told that some bloke up the road was prancing around in a wedding dress singing 'Bernard, Bernard, je m'appelle Bernard'. It was an unbridled, primal rage that one could quite easily imagine being sated only by a fight to the death with a load of dogs."

I feel pain!!!!
    I have pain!
  • dave_1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ivancarlos</i>

Definitely No.1 personality flaws - one of the funniest cycling related things I ever read was about Bernard Hinault in Tim Moore's book. I quote, "His nickname was Badger, which sounds a bit Wind in the Willows unless you happen to have seen one in action against two Jack Russells in a video seized by the RSPCA. Hinault's default demeanor on a bicycle suggested he'd just been told that some bloke up the road was prancing around in a wedding dress singing 'Bernard, Bernard, je m'appelle Bernard'. It was an unbridled, primal rage that one could quite easily imagine being sated only by a fight to the death with a load of dogs."

I feel pain!!!!

i think top sportsmen are self-critical, obsessive, have a perfectionist streak and are very controlling, probably see themselves as failures on some level, deep down, no matter what they win...

it seems Armstrong micro managed every detail at Discovery
  • ivancarlos
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jdfyfe</i>

[8D] Hi Jdfye,yes, we a new forum it seems..somewhere new to have a bit of banter

I'm enjoying the anonymity [8D]

I feel pain!!!!
    I have pain!
  • big lungs, a high pain threshold, and extreme focus. not necessarily in that order. That's to be a good pro, the sorts of driven personality the rest of us would find a bit unsellting is what you need to differentiate yourself from the good pros and be a great. But that's also probably true in most other areas of human activity too. Probably.

I'm surprised no-one has tried to set up a fight between Hinault and some dogs.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tony farrelly</i>

I'm surprised no-one has tried to set up a fight between Hinault and some dogs.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I heard they did but the dogs got wind of who they were set to fight and fled. Allegedly.
  • jdfyfe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

i think top sportsmen are self-critical, obsessive, have a perfectionist streak and are very controlling, probably see themselves as failures on some level, deep down, no matter what they win...

...has to be more than that, or I would be a top sportsman [:I]
  • jdfyfe

I feel pain!!!!

...I have worked out who you are...[;)]
  • ivancarlos

I feel pain!!!!

...I have worked out who you are...[;)]

I don't know anyone in Forfar!!

I feel pain!!!!
    I have pain!
  • jdfyfe

I feel pain!!!!

...I'm not in Forfar, well not on this forum as I WAS trying to be 'mysterious'...thanks [;)][:o)]
  • dave_1

...has to be more than that, or I would be a top sportsman [:I]

JD, I think these traits are but some of the building blocks, certainly incrediblyone has to be driven deeply from inside to be so single minded, very disciplined, and of course to have had parents, family influences which shape someone into a very determined, desperate to prove themself type of individual...then throw in genetics, correct advice, contacts, even being introduced to cycling...this is why I guess there are not many make it to pro tour level..
  • jdfyfe
    JD, I think these traits are but some of the building blocks, certainly incrediblyone has to be driven deeply from inside to be so single minded, very disciplined, and of course to have had parents, family influences which shape someone into a very determined, desperate to prove themself type of individual...<b>then throw in genetics, correct advice, contacts, even being introduced to cycling...</b>this is why I guess there are not many make it to pro tour level..

...I knew there was 'something' I had missed out on [;)]
  • Type 'A' personalities that chose their parents well.
  • nikopro
    nikopro Posts: 21

I feel pain!!!!

...I'm not in Forfar, well not on this forum as I WAS trying to be 'mysterious'...thanks [;)][:o)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not with the same name,I don't think!
    nice to see the same names cropping up.Good to know we can get some intelligent conversation (just don't tell the wife!)
  • dave_1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Type 'A' personalities that chose their parents well.
    chose their parents well?? A broken home and a disfunctional family are some of the strongest influences on a sportsman...any well adjusted emotionally stable person would not feel the need to go off proving the world they are worthy in the way insecure sportsmen seem to need to.
  • Melpro
    Melpro Posts: 35
    If I was being cynical I would say an ongoing supply of EPO and a good doctor!
  • I was also being cynical. I was speaking of genetics, hypothetically. How many of us can choose our parents. prior to birth?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobrakes</i>

Type 'A' personalities that chose their parents well.
    chose their parents well?? A broken home and a disfunctional family are some of the strongest influences on a sportsman...any well adjusted emotionally stable person would not feel the need to go off proving the world they are worthy in the way insecure sportsmen seem to need to.

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • dave_1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mel</i>

If I was being cynical I would say an ongoing supply of EPO and a good doctor!

Well, if that makes you feel better about your cycling ability, then you will presume that...though it's far more complex than that. Some are righfully up there. Is every person you meet in life a cheat? I think not, so why should we assume all are in pro cycling when it is just like life is infact..some good honest people and some not, some who will exploit if given the circumstances