Lake Garda and Dolomites

super_claret
super_claret Posts: 102
edited June 2007 in Routes
Anyone been to Lake Garda and the Dolomites?

I've heard there are numerous MTB trails but would like as much info as possible, preferably from people that have stayed in the areas, but any info would be appreciated. Any MTB specific guide/ route books, how much to hire decent MTBs etc

Many thanks

Mark

Comments

• Stay in Torbole at the north end of lake garda, there are loads of bike shops, i particularly liked mecki's, check out the beer pump. Buy Mosers guide (in german unfortunately) or the Nature Dynamics Garda centrale and alto garda maps. Ride the 601 trail from Mt Altissimo to torbole. Make use of the shuttle buses. Earning your descents is all good, but i'm not used to dragging myself up 1500m+ climbs every day for a week. The gondola is a waste of time imo. Try searching stw about lake garda.

You will have a really good time, its a great place.
  • super_claret
    super_claret Posts: 102
    Thanks Stuart, what time of year did you go and what was the weather like?

Was it expensive to hire bikes there?
  • trakker
    trakker Posts: 19
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by super_claret</i>

Thanks Stuart, what time of year did you go and what was the weather like?

Was it expensive to hire bikes there?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i cycled & lived there some years , seriously if ya wanna cycle, try september /oct when it cools to around 60/70C..+

between june to early sept..its bloody hot..ya dont go out between 12-6pm...[:D]..but wow what a place, fab grub too!![:p]

i'd rather b out on ma bike!! :)
    i\'d rather b out on ma bike!! :)
  • I took my own bike in september. The temperature was about right.

Meckis and Carpentari hire excellent mtbs, it was not too expensive iirc.