Malvern Back On Track routes

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Routes
Looking at riding the Malverns. Anyone tried the Back On Track routes, or just what riding over there is like...?

My understanding is it's just a bit too hilly

Save two trees - don't read The Sun

Comments

• ddoogiewmb
    ddoogiewmb Posts: 97
    I went with a friend in December time. Couldn't find any decent biking up there. I'm sure there is some. Do you have a mapped route?

<hr noshade size="1">

<center>
    <font color="green">S-Works</font id="green"></center>
    <hr noshade size="1">

<center>
  • Back On Track have routes 'easy' 'moderate'...'killer' which you can pick up from their shop

Not spoken to anyone who's done them...

• lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I have a copy of the routes, not tried yet on list of things to do this year!! but walked the malverns last year very tough!! lots of uphill!! one of the reasons why i havent rode yet!

ride it hard and keep it fun!!!
    My Rides: Trek 6500 and Trek Fuel Ex 7and My Blog - Try it out!!
  • I rode there a couple of year's ago. It's very hilly, couldn't find much singletrack AT ALL - you probably need a local guide! Paths / bridleways are heavily walked and tend to be like motorways - i.e. about 3 lanes wide and generally reasonable well surfaced - there didn't look to be much off-piste opportunities!!

typical Malvern terrain

clicky one
    clicky two

Bike Weasel as HALO!
    This is me - no, really!!
    Flickr - you know it make's sense!
  • ddoogiewmb
    ddoogiewmb Posts: 97
    That was much the same as my experience. But apparently there is some decent stuff. Pretty hardcore in some bits.

<hr noshade size="1">

<center>
    <hr noshade size="1">

<center>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halo</i>

typical Malvern terrain

clicky one
    clicky two

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, your clicky photos are of the Beacon - right on the top. The better 'single track' is around the perimeter i would think. I've walked bits of it many times and it looks very promising

The Back On Track site has a 'routes' page with maps, but recommend you go in and get one of their laminated jobbies with written instructions (œ1 or so each)...

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    There is good stuff in the Malverns but it's not really worth going at the weekends because of the volume of walkers. There is such a network of bridalways and foothpaths that it is also quite difficult to follow any ready made route - I used the MBR one from about a year ago last time I went and spent a lot of time wrestling with the OS; while, if you just explore, you're bound to drift on to a footpath and they seem very hot on cracking down on 'cheeky' riding.

Essentially, as already said, you need a local guide to get the most out of it.
  • neilmac
    neilmac Posts: 22
    the climb up the switchbacks on ivy scar rock is really challenging. also the peak next to worcester beacon going towards the wyche cutting (summer hill i think) has a great rocky section. other than that there isnt much more technical stuff but it's great for fitness training
  • nigel, contact mickarms on this forum... he is a guy from bromsgrove V fit and rides a lot in the afternoons..
    maybe you could meet up?

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Paulie W
    I think Mick and Nigel already know each other.
  • built the same paulie..

yer now you mention it.. they do..

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fozzybear</i>

nigel, contact mickarms on this forum... he is a guy from bromsgrove V fit and rides a lot in the afternoons..
    maybe you could meet up?

you TTP? Malvern with Mick... [:0]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Paulie W</i>

Essentially, as already said, you need a local guide to get the most out of it.

How well do you know it Paulie? Fancy a trip over in the week, or is your new job FT?

• iron calves [;)] go for it...

• Ive been to the malverns pretty much most of my life (living near it).

And its very hilly for the main parts, but great on the downhill! So long as you dont wipe out walkers coming up (i suggest going in weekdays or in the winter, less people).

There are loads of small time paths and bridleways to be had around malvern, you just have to find them. And most of the time, not many people stray off the main tracks. So you free to ride.

My Website: www.rosshetherington.com
  • Paulie W
    [/quote]

How well do you know it Paulie? Fancy a trip over in the week, or is your new job FT?

[/quote]

Not that well really and job is full time: 30+ mile commute a day (on bike) at the moment so dont feel like doing much otehr biking in week!
  • Been up there a couple of times early this year.

The first climb up from the North Car park (by Back on Track) is indeed a painful granny ring grind. From there you've really broke the back of the tough climbs and can enjoy the ridge and do a reasonably fun 10-13 mile loop with a couple of nice descents and a bit of technical stuff in the trees.

We loosely followed the WMB and MBR routes, but it's easy to stray with the dense nature of the bridleways - one of the Back on Track route guides would be a good idea.

We mainly went for fitness/training purposes for HoNC and because they're local. The good news was that once we'd done that first climb a couple of times, there was nothing in the HoNC event that was as hard, so mission accomplished!

Oh, we went Friday afternoon in March and an early Saturday morning in January - not many people around on either occassion but wouldn't fancy trying it out on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon in July.... [xx(]

The trails drain well too, so I'll definitely be going back in the Winter time.

"..there are names amongst us that are worth more than a 1000 mail-clad knights apiece."
  • Fantastic rundown - thanks!

I'm going over tomorrow (full rear mud tyre!) Will call in Back On Track and get one of their guides/maps, which BOT have said is a more accurate description of the mbr Feb. '07 "Killer Loop". The mag had space constraints.

• MickArms
    MickArms Posts: 52
    Nige, got your email a week or two ago ref riding, but forgot to respond...

Riding this Sunday 1st, then working til the 8th but 4 days off then..
  • Where you riding this Sunday?

You got a good waterproof?

• MickArms
    MickArms Posts: 52
    Got to do the forest! see my other thread, soooooo wet! You would not believe the height of the water at the bottom of the camber run...

Have done the Malverns, tad hilly but good. but weekends I find it full of walkers and the rangers or what ever they're called are a bunch of cokc knockers... best to do it mid week or night riding.
  • Didn't fare well over the Malverns - mechanical trouble, and Back On Track being no help whatever (Paul Birley sold me a œ6 map, which is no use on it's own. 30 seconds could have highlighted a route on it).

Maybe another time