Exercising with broken collarbone?

It's been a couple weeks now and with most of the pain gone, I'm wondering if it might be worth investing in a cheap-ish turbo-trainer type cycling machine and using it so I don't get too much out of shape. Am feeling quite restless without exercise and not sleeping too well..

Does anybody have any experience/suggestions with this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• either that or a road bike.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
  • Do what I did when my collarbone was broken - I went walking. Didn't fancy a turbo trainer (although Corrie loaned me his), so I went out walking around the places I usually rode. Probably not as good exercise as riding, but a lot more interesting than a turbo trainer and has helped stretch out my leg muscles a bit (they were starting to contract due to riding).

Just a thought.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace</font id="size1">
  • CURWENATOR
    CURWENATOR Posts: 17
    i'd advise walking too, i broke mine way back and realistically its 8 weeks b4 you even dream of getting back on that bike! one bit of advice is to get a rubber band for flexability and resitance training for rehab and maybe a 5kilo medicine ball too!

Eagles sore but weasels don't get caught in jet engines....
    Eagles sore but weasels don\'t get caught in jet engines....
  • 8 weeks? depends on the break. I was back on bike (albeit one handed round the park) in 3.

Thera-band for building strength back up is a great idea, see a physio. Its well worth doing the exercises to regain strength, you dont want one arm collapsing during nose heavy landings!
  • Thanks for the insight guys, will give the thera-band a serious look.

Is it good to do stretches etc at 5 weeks or are you better just keeping it steady?

I've been doing some walking the last couple weeks but not that much, fleece-sling thing has been sweaty as hell in warmer weather. Though today I got a wrist-mounted sling thing Cazzdevil recommended elsewhere that will be a lot better for exercise.
  • See a physio, you probably have a fracture clinic appointment, they can refer you to a physio and guide you as to how much to exercise it.

If you are going it alone, exercise within the limits of your pain. Try to maintain a good range of movement, once that is pretty comfy work up through green, blue and black thera bands iirc.
  • Well I've been back on the bike for 3 weeks now and it's given me no problems. I'm definitely glad I gave it the full 8 weeks post-op to heal properly and regain strength but I honestly found the best way to regain strength was to try and use that arm as normally as possible in everyday life.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • Ffluff
    Ffluff Posts: 282
    Maurice - bust my collar bone pretty good yesterday at the top of Reigate Hill.. [B)]

wondered how you're getting on and what advice worked for you? Have already been looking at a cheap turbo trainer...

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Doh, Ffluff [B)]. Which part of Reigate Hill was it, I'd take a guess at the fun downhill that starts across the road from the carpark?

The shoulder's feeling pretty solid now, I'm trying not to put much force through it but it feels good, have a fracture clinic appointment on Tuesday so I'm hoping for a good x-ray.

I stuck to just doing walking (was hopefully gonna get some miles in this weekend if not for the crap weather). The idea of sitting inside a hot room working away in a fleecy sling put me off a turbo trainer (probably drive my flatmate mad aswell), would make a lot more sense if you had some outside space like a garden to play in.

For the first couple weeks it's probably best to do little exercise at all to avoid jolting it. For me 90% of the pain went after 2 weeks, and 99% after 3 weeks. Buy (or get someone else to) plenty of short-sleeve shirts etc as you won't want to be wearing a normal t-shirt for a while. I made the mistake of putting on a t-shirt first day after I broke it; wasn't pleasant!

If it's any consolation I've read that the collarbone can actually heal back stronger than it was originally, eventually, as you get some bone overlap and it's slightly shortened.

Try not to do too much too soon, I keep having to remind myself this - my friend broke his early this year and did that, bike ride and carrying heavy shopping turned his recovery period into 13 weeks.
  • Ffluff
    it was really embarassing.. had ridden from reigate hill out to newlands corner and back, was about 150m from the footbridge near the cafe, (on the grassy bit parallel to the path), when i hit an up and over faaaarrr too fast, straight over the bars.. it'd been such a great ride up to that point.. thankfully paramedic in the car park, ambulance and morphine 10 mins later.. vv lucky [:)]

thanks for the advice, all makes sense although i think if i can find a cheap turbo i'll go for it as i do have a garden (anything to get outside too.. am sooooo bored already), that and several short sleeve shirts!

hope your fracture appt goes well, my first is on the 4th june

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • No probs, the one handed typing's fun isn't it [;)]

Not a bad place to crash all in all then! I think most breakages are quite embarassing, don't feel too bad. First week or so I spent most of my days outside reading in the sun, was quite pleasant.
  • Ffluff
    i can't tell you hw lucky i was. painful isn't it?! how did you do yours? are you back on the bike yet?

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • I was out near Holmbury hill on a beautiful day, sun scorching down. Had been riding my old hardtail all week, getting increasingly reckless off little jumps and sliding around corners. Finally replaced my fs bike's isis BB that morning, about a mile or so down the trail we came across a large log that had a bit of dirt built up it so had a go. Came up much faster than I should have, clicked the top of the log with my back wheel and nose-dived into the ground. Should've known better really, and really embarrasing.

I think I was used to my hardtail manualling much easier etc and was complacent.

Not back on the bike yet, waiting for the doc to hopefully ok it on Tuesday.
  • Ffluff
    easily done eh.. i dunno about you, but its only now that the details are all coming back to me, proper slow-motion! i must have put my hand out to try and break the fall, hence the break..
    hope your recovery goes well,and you're back on the bike soon, would you let me know how you get on? could do with some inspiration [:)]

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Thanks, hope yours heals well too. I'll keep you updated to how it goes.
  • Ffluff
  • Had my check up this morning, some good news and bad news.

The bones are in place to heal etc, but they aren't joined yet. Doc said they are being pretty slow to start developing callus stuff, probably due to it being a big impact which might have deadened the ends of the bones. I'm drinking loads of milk and taking calcium tablets so this is a bit disappointing.

However, he wants me to start using it as normal immediately. I mentioned mountain biking, and said is it ok for rigorous activity and he said "I would encourage it".

I have another appointment in two months to see how it's doing, late July.
  • Ffluff
    well if they're not displaced then thats gotta be good [8D]
    sorry to hear that progress is slow; having had a good nose round the net, its seems that this can often be the case.. on the other hand, i like the gung-h attitude of this doctor.. [:D] lets hoe i get one with the same ideas!

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Ffluff
    9 days since the crash and i managed two sessions of 20 minutes each on the turbo trainer today.. shoulder stiff and still sore but a great sensation to be back on a bike (sort of..)

sorry, probably of little interest out there, but its a big step for me!

[:D]

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Last weekend I softened my suspension to ridiculously plush and went out cycling, only on the road, but did around 10 miles fairly easily, was quite pleasant even! I would've gone further but my front disk was annoying me, had to straighten it when I got back.

I'm pleased I haven't lost all my fitness, still didn't have trouble on the hills :)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1345770/
  • Ffluff
    sonds good maurice, i had my appointment today @ the fracture clinic.. no new x rays, just a new sling and some exercises, very chilled out doc who, like you, encouraged me back on the bike when i felt able.. am getting on the trainer twice a day and hope that i keep a little of the fitness i'd built up.. do you have to head back to the hospital again?

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • I've got another appointment in 7 weeks to see how it's going. They didn't x-ray me either at the first appointment, as I think things won't have changed much since the A&E visit, unless they can see something has visibly gone wrong.

It's cool your getting on the trainer, I was probably the fittest at cycling I'd ever been before, it's gonna take me some months to get back there again.

Whereabouts in Surrey are you based? I was seeing a Dr. Drabu in East Surrey hospital.

• Ffluff
    hi maurice, i'm around the dorking area and am under a guy at east surrey too (can't pronounce his name but i think its greek).. i've got to say that this guy (and his nurses) have been superb, answering all my questions and being very positive with the 'when can i get back on the bike' questions..

like you i was the fittest i've ever been on the bike when i crashed (was aiming for the west drayton 100k which was on sunday)so gettting on the trainer is a fantastic feeling, however i've noticed quite an ache on the shoulder so may give it a miss today!

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Ffluff
    Maurice, Cazz, Pict.. wondered if i could draw on your experience..
    It will have been 3 weeks since my crash on saturday and over the last coupla days i've been absolutely shattered, unable to concentrate and have a real fuzzy head feeling, there is still a fair amount of pain too.. just wondered how you guys got on/getting on at this stage in your recovery? thanks..

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • I was quite shattered for the first couple of weeks, but it waned off after then. The pain had mostly all gone by 3 weeks compared to what it was initially.

I've been back riding off road the last week or so, was meaning to give you an update. Shoulder feels fine but I'm being careful on rooty sections and not feeling enough confidence in the shoulder to pull wheelies/manuals etc yet. Good to be back on the bike properly though.

• Ffluff
    cheers maurice.. the pain is still there but only really feel it when i move or do something stupid like jarring it.. have been off the turbo trainer for the last 3 days as im just so washed out, i think its rest i need (am going back to work on monday too)

good to hear you're well on the mend, fingers crossed that i'll be back in the saddle properly soon too..[:)]

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti