trails in North Essex

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Routes
Any decent trails in North Essex????

Comments

• Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    (Please NO CAPS! It's the equivalent of shouting on here, and I'm sure some people are hungover....even though it's a Tuesday).

As for Essex...I don't know. Come down to surrey and I'll show you some [;)].

My advice would be to get an OS map, and then pretty much just explore with the bike, and see where you go.

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">

PS> Ta for saving my ears Fozzy.
  • Gabber
    Gabber Posts: 54
    Not North Essex - but Epping in the south

www.eppinghardcru.co.uk
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Or Thorndon Country park is quite good.

.........Rikk
  • Hey james, thetford forest is about an hour away from you, its got 4 different trails, and is well signposted. heres the link to the website
    Thetford

cosstick!
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">

I find that, if you are not in the middle of a large city, when you get out and explore on your bike you will discover some routes that you never knew even existed fairly close to your home.

It's sometimes quite a shock what you'll find when you load up some food and drink and just head off for a few hours towards your nearest green or wooded areas...
    </font id="Comic Sans MS">

<font size="1">Looking wistfully out of the office window at the sun.....
    daydreaming of the Sierra Nevada (and now of Vancouver/Whistler too!!)</font id="size1">
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • plork123
    plork123 Posts: 112
    I've never been but Danbury Common near Chelmsford is supposed to be quite good
  • thanks guys
  • neekwmb
    neekwmb Posts: 7
    i went over to danbury for a look around at the weekend, there seems to be some nice riding through the woody areas.
    thorndon and langdon hills are both well worth a look, although this isn't north either really...
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">

I did the Flitch Way about 3-4 years ago when I still had a fully rigid MTB and it was quite a nice 'pootle' but not a challenging ride.

There's a bit of road/country lane connecting sections between the trail sections but it's OK for an easy, non-technical ride. Like most converted, disused railway lines though, it's a bit flat, straight and smooth and you have to just retrace your steps as there is no 'loop'.
    </font id="Comic Sans MS">[|)]

<font size="1">Looking wistfully out of the office window at the sun.....
    daydreaming of the Sierra Nevada (and now of Vancouver/Whistler too!!)</font id="size1">
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • chicksands, i know its a drive but i drove up from east essex and was well chuffed, welll worth the petrol money.