Anyone out there??

missgroover
missgroover Posts: 263
edited June 2007 in Women
I have been cycling with my bf for around two and a half years, last year bought myself a Specialized FSR XC. I am relatively capable, can cope with the red routes in north wales and cannock and am looking to find others to ride with, rather than having to rely solely on my chap. He has a group of guys he often disappears off with for weekends and I find myself getting frustrated I can't go anywhere unless he's around. Also I have a totslly unsuitable car for transporting my bike!
I'm in Birmingham, so, anyone around????[:)]

Comments

• Is it only girls you want to ride with? If you're not fussed then it might be worth putting a thread up in the "riding" section asking for folk around your area.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • missgroover
    No have posted in main section too. To be honest I've only ever ridden with guys up to now so girls would be a new experience!
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Try www.shecycles.co.uk there are some girls on that based in the midlands.

Is there such a thing as a car unsuitable for transporting a bike?
  • missgroover
    There sure are, my bike would only fit in mine if I put the roof down! May have to resort to a bike rack but am not keen on that really - my car is my no1 love and I don't want my paint buggered up!
  • It's a rover... get over it... once you smash that rear bumper you will pay through the nose for a one [:)]

a saris bones is one of the only racks i have seen fit that hairdressers car [;)]

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    That I'm afraid is....a cheap shot from Mr Bear himself...[:P]

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">
  • Ok... whilst your'e on the subject of racks Fozzy, any recommendations for a 2 bike carrier that will fit on the back of a hatchback without damaging either the bikes or the car?
  • missgroover
    hey hey this ain't bike rack section and you ain't girls! Sod off! [;)]
  • fine if you don't want help from someone that actually KNOWS what they are talking about we'll leave it to the girls [;)]

Johnny none only a thule tow bar rack

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • plork123
    plork123 Posts: 112
    I always ride with the other half, but when he goes away to work I just go out on my own.
    Better than just moping around. It's not as much fun being on your own, but it's a good laugh when there's a bunch of lads who think they are the bees knes being overtaken by a girl with her pig tails flowing behind :)
  • missgroover
    LOL!!!
    I'm a typical girl though in that I have no sense of direction and would just get totally lost which is what prevents me from going it alone. Plus my practical/technical knowledge is pretty much zero so if I had any probs I'd be stuck.
    So what's out there for girlies to help imrove knowledge and tech skills????
  • Practice [:D]

Lol, by tech skills do you mean bike maintenance or technical riding skills? If you mean bike maintenance then get yourself a copy of Zinn and start tinkering with your bike. If you mean technical riding then either ride with someone who can show you the ropes & help you practice or check out shecycles.com for details on some skills courses.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • missgroover
    Both really, though i cope okay with the intermediate routes i feel I could get more out of them with a little training. Bike maintenance however is a total blank, that's what men are for! but think i should have some knowledge. I've never even repaired a puncture!
    Thanks for guiding me to shecycles, have just found some skills courses down in northants and woburn i think i will book onto, through the get mountain biking website. Anyone had any experience of these?
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Everyone told me my car wasn't suitable for carrying bikes, they go on the roof and they are fine. Couldn't get a car that it was impossible to carry a bike.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by missgroover</i>

Anyone had any experience of these?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No, cos for me, <b>that's</b> what men are for [:D]
    The lads I ride with are a big help when it comes to me learning new things and attempting harder stuff.

• saz
    saz Posts: 2,189
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cazzdevil</i>

No, cos for me, <b>that's</b> what men are for [:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    C'mon girls, lets not let them think we need them THAT much!!
    My technical skills and bike fixing skills are pretty bad,and the guys I ride with are a big help BUT thats just coz I happen to ride with guys. I'm sure girls who had their amount of experience would be the same. ( Gotta watch how you word things, men get big heids really easily, it's not good for them!!)
    I'm learning slowly. I can change a tube, and fix a puncture.....its pumping the tyre up past 15psi when I start to have problems!!! LOL!
    I'm also really slow, and while I know I'd get quicker with practise, I am always grateful for their help as it means nobody gets held up for too long.
    There always seems to be one in the group that hangs back too on technical tricky bits to make sure I'm ok. I think they take it in turns to be on "Saz watch"!![:X] (They are all really lovely, I love 'em all to pieces.[:D])
    Lack of a sense of direction isn't just a girl thing either. Although I got lost at Glentress once coz a forestry worker parked his van in front of the way marker. That was quite obviously HIS fault though.

<center><font color="violet"><b>ME AND MY BIKE</b></font id="violet"></center>
  • Lol Saz, all the lads I ride with take it turn to be on "Caz watch" too (all except Gordon... Miserable sod).

I'm not saying that lads are better at teaching skills than girls, but they definitely seem to have more of a "get over yourself and just try it" kinda attitude which is what I need, but they're sympathetic to the fact that I'm a big fat wuss.

• saz
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cazzdevil</i>

I'm not saying that lads are better at teaching skills than girls, but they definitely seem to have more of a "get over yourself and just try it" kinda attitude
    Yeah, true. I sometimes think this is because generally girls can be quite competitive with each other. I know I am. Nothing pisses me off more than if I've wussed out of something and then see another girl manage it. Especially if she's thinner than me!!!![:D][:D][:I][:X]

• Now you know how I felt at GT with you then [V]

• saz
    Oh GOD Cazz!! No way! I'm WELL aware I was riding a trail I'd ridden.....oooo....50 times!! That was your first time. You cover way way more miles a week than me, I'll come down to your neck of the woods you'll leave me for dust.[:(]

• muddyfoxwmb
    muddyfoxwmb Posts: 638
    absolutely right, saz. theres no excuses.
    i do my own trailside repairs, and have been known to help out the guys on a few occasions. i've been riding with the same guys for years, so we've all progressed together, helping each other, & i don't get any special treatment for not being male. i think they'd see it as patronising, as theres no physical reason why (technically/practically) we shouldn't be capable of doing the same stuff.

saying that, obviously i've tried it on when its been freezing cold and i'm feeling too lazy to fix sommat. doesn't wash tho
  • saz
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by muddyfox</i>

saying that, obviously i've tried it on when its been freezing cold and i'm feeling too lazy to fix sommat. doesn't wash tho

I think any blokes would get pretty sick of being out with someone who permanently needs help, I feel bad when I need help from them, hence the constant baking of flapjacks! I have really really bad circulation, so in the cold I would probably be unable to fix a puncture anyway though.[:(] That has nothing to do with being a girl though.

• muddyfoxwmb
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by saz</i>

[quoteI have really really bad circulation, so in the cold I would probably be unable to fix a puncture anyway though.[:(]

ah, that doesnt count... different rules apply to the sick & injured. unless its self induced from the night before [;)]
  • saz
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by muddyfox</i>

ah, that doesnt count... different rules apply to the sick & injured. unless its self induced from the night before [;)]
    [:D]
    Thats me. Sick and injured, but provides food to compensate.

• I always do my own bike repairs when we're out and about, par example, my brakes failed on Tuesday and the lads just stood around while I was clarting on with cables and pads and allsorts trying to get them working.

I definitely don't get any special treatment for being a girl, in fact I'm constantly referred to as "one of the lads", I think the only reason the lads help me so much with my skills is because they're sick of me whinging on about how bad I am on technical stuff! [:D]

• saz

I always do my own bike repairs when we're out and about, par example, my brakes failed on Tuesday and the lads just stood around while I was clarting on with cables and pads and allsorts trying to get them working.

Can you come and have a look at mine then? They seem to stop working in the wet!
    I AM hopeless. Just wanna make sure I'm not giving anyone the wrong impression here! LOL![:D]

• I'm not too bad, most of it came through not having anyone there to help at home so I had to tweak bits by myself. It takes me a lot longer to sort problems than it would any of the lads, but I'm happy that I can fix my own. Get a copy of Zinn off Amazon, it's an absolute bible for a beginner!

• muddyfoxwmb

I definitely don't get any special treatment for being a girl, in fact I'm constantly referred to as "one of the lads", <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i wouldn't describe myself as 'one of the lads', i just do my own trailside repairs and try all the technical trails. like they do. cos theres no reason not to. it doesn't make me a lad, it makes me competent.

they probably look after me way more when we're off the bike during roadtrips & riding hols, which is cool by me[8D]
  • saz
    I'll never be one of the lads due to my (totally involentary by the way) screams. And my pink gloves.[:)]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by muddyfox</i>

i just do my own trailside repairs, it doesn't make me a lad, it makes me competent. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I wasn't insinuating that just because I do my own repairs makes me "one of the lads", I think you entirely misinterpreted me on that.