Specialized Pro Kevlar Tyres

Unknown
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I see Merlin Cycles are selling pairs of these at half price (œ22.50), are they a bargain?

where'd the bloody hell that deer appear from?

My Bike : http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    I got hold of some enduro pro 2.3's free and have used them on the front for around a year. They are huge and snagged the chain when used on the rear. Very grippy on the front, this applies to most conditions. Huge rolling resistance though.

In summary wouldn't buy them myself if I needed new tyres, but pretty good for free tyres.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • plain lazy
    plain lazy Posts: 137
    got some spech pro resolution on my bike, no problems yet but havn't pushed them hard yet to see when they will let go. they strike me as an all year round tyre. Mud clearence and grip is fine and rolling aint bad.
  • Deswmb
    Deswmb Posts: 574
    I bought a pair of the Enduros a couple of months ago. Note that they are an old tread design from a good few years ago (their magazine ads show the current tread pattern).

Haven't used them yet though.

Des
  • ED209
    ED209 Posts: 174
    I got the 2.2" enduros - they're pretty good, grip very well though don't clear well in the clay I ride in. I don't ride on roads but yes I guess they'd have quite a bit of rolling resistance.

I don't feel inclined to wax lyrical about them like everyone does with their cinders/fire XCs Pros, but for pretty much half price they're not at all bad.

<font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">
  • I managed to tear the bead of an Enduro at the weekend, causing my tyre to blow out when inflating it. Strangely enough, it survived another day and a half of riding at low pressures (was miles away from a bike shop at the time).

al
  • I sacked my enduros. They are very slow tyres particulary on hard packed stuff and aren't that great in the mud. They are quite sticky thogh and provide reasonable grip.

Jon Steed - the not so New Avenger

My Bike and stuff
    The Bearpit
    My Vid
    www.moredirt.co.uk
  • ED209
    Have to say; i was in a shop the other day looking at the enduros and they look nothing at all like the ones I bought from Merlins for œ22 - completely different tyres and people may be talking about either one.

(the ones I got are good for œ22, but nothing special overall)

• Deswmb
    Deswmb Posts: 574
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ED209</i>

Have to say; i was in a shop the other day looking at the enduros and they look nothing at all like the ones I bought from Merlins for œ22 - completely different tyres and people may be talking about either one.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, Merlin are being a bit naughty here. As I posted earlier they're selling a very old tread pattern whilst their adverts are showing the current design.

Des

http://www.t-and-h.com
    http://gattryx.wikispaces.com
  • ED209
    Ha ha oh well - which ones are worse then? My old ones seem reasonably unoffensive, the new ones I guess would be worse for rolling resistance. That's the not the normal course of progress though!

• streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    I have just fitted some to my Trek. Rolling resistance, maybe is quite high, but grip seems pretty good, both front and rear.
    Mine are 2.3" and provide a good cushion also. The feel of the compound is quite soft so I wouldnt expect them to last long on tarmac.

I am quite impressed so far, and for œ22, I would say a bargain.
    I am doing a couple of trail centres on the weekend so I will report further after that.

<font size="1"> Streako </font id="size1">
    <font size="1"> Streakos Hardtail</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"> Streakos Full Susser </font id="size1">