Chains

tinytjf
tinytjf Posts: 743
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
To go with the new build, I thought I better get a new cassette and chain and I know everyone loves SRAM chains but I've also heard a lot of people mention Wipperman chains.

The top of the range 8sp SRAM and Wipperman chains are comparable in cost but the SRAM is slightly more expensive. The Wipperman chain is nickel plated but I can't find what the SRAM one is. Anyone know which would be more durable?

Given the choice, should I go SRAM or Wipperman?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><b>Reviews</b>
Trails, Kit and Road trips

<b>Pics</b>
My Steed *Updated*
Trails and Road Trips

Deer Park Fence - 2
Tim - 0

Quarry Fence - 1
Tim - 0</font id="size1">

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    The SRAM one will also be nickel plated. I think that the SRAM chains are neater; the powerlink is better than the Wipperman one and I think that the wipperman ones have slightly narrower holes for the teeth which can cause problems in mud. I currently have a Wipperman chain, but will revert back to SRAM when the time comes to change.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • tinytjf
    Now that's interesting to hear - it does look like the link holes are somewhat smaller on the Wipperman. SRAM chain it is then to go with the SRAM cassette (Damn shimano not making 11-32 8sp cassettes!!!)

<b>Pics</b>
    My Steed *Updated*
    Trails and Road Trips

Deer Park Fence - 2
    Tim - 0

Quarry Fence - 1
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Dont rule out KMC either. harder wearing than SRAM and nicer looking (especially in gold) and their powerlink is even easier than SRAMS

Marin Mount Vision 2005. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XT, Easton 70 bars, ODI rogues, KMC Chain, various bling
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • Also if you want a quality chain that will last and last
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360008851

<hr noshade size="1">
    If you ain't doing your own maintenance you ain't nuthin!
    <div align="left"><font size="1">
    My Fury Pics

My Space

My Mods:RockShox Reba Team U-Turn Air, Hayes 9HFX XC Brakes,Truvativ StyloTeam GXP CrankSet
    Sram X-9 Shifters,Mavic XM719 Rims,Shamano XT Hubs,Conti Speedkings 2.1 tyres,Shamano XT Cassette,Rhloff SLT99 Chain,V12 Magnisum Pedals,Thomson Elite Seatpost,Selle Italia SLR XC Gelflow sadle,Ritchey WCS Ergo Grips

</font id="size1"> </div id="left">
  • tinytjf
    Not heard of KMC before but they seem to get good reviews. Hmmm....

Dsldude - I'm afraid I can't justify spending 40 squid on just a chain - I've got a 40 squid budget for cassette and chain!

<b>Pics</b>
    My Steed *Updated*
    Trails and Road Trips

Deer Park Fence - 2
    Tim - 0

Quarry Fence - 1
  • daxionwmb
    daxionwmb Posts: 1,031
    I run a SRAM 971 and 991 chains, both have never let me down and no rust either.
    Even after cleaning I've noticed there is still fine grit between the links. Luckily I have a powered parts cleaner bath which finally removed all the fine grit.
    I'm assuming this fine grit is what really damages the chains no matter which make.

Dax
    <hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center>
    My new Photo Album. Various Pics
    New Pic of Nitrous
    <font size="1">
    S-Works Enduro newest pic
    Wharncliffe Route Map
    My site - www.heretic-sports.info
    <hr noshade size="1"></center></font id="size1">
    Dax
    <hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center>
    My new Photo Album. Various Pics