GPS Navigation

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited May 2007 in MTB general
I'm after a bit of advice.
I really enjoy riding as many new trails as possible, mostly around the Peak District but am getting a little fed up with the stop-start nature of riding new trails when I have to stop and get the guide book out what seems like every 10 minutes. It just spoils the overall flow of the ride.

Recently I've started thinking about handle bar mounted GPS, from what I've read it seems as though a prog such as Memory Map would allow me to plot out the route from the guide book as a series of waypoints and then download it to the GPS unit which would then point me to the next waypoint as I went along.

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding Memory Map and GPS use for trail navigation?

Any suggestions regarding GPS unit? Not bothered about features such as heart rate/cadence, just want to be pointed in the correct direction!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jon

Comments

• rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Cheapest way would be a pda with bluetooth, bt gpsr and the relevant memory maps for your area.
    This would allow you to do pretty much every thing, only thing to be aware of is they are obviously a little fragile so if you into rough downhill just take care :)

.........Rikk
  • cowan-king
    cowan-king Posts: 259
    or nokia N95 and memory map (n95 has GPS! and wifi and a 5Mega pixel camera!) so your covered wherre ever you are!

regards from:

The Cowan King<font color="red"><center>(my sidekick2)</font id="red"></center>
  • Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    I use the garmin edge and tracklogs. They do the trick, but you still need a map to refer to. Whilst the GPS was useful initially, I just use it as a ride logger and computer now as I have loads of local loops stored in my head. I occasionally use it for longer rides

my photos NYM biking routes
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    My brothers got a nokia smartphone (6630) mounted in a cradle on his bars. He links a bluetooth GPS receiver to it via bluetooth. The receivers only small so he keeps in his back pocket or in his camelbak.

Unfortunately, he uses tomtom on it so it's about as much use a chocolate teapot off-road. However, it works very well on the road. If you could use something like memory map on it as well then you'd have a very powerful solution.
  • jon208
    After a bit of looking around it seems that a Garmin Nav unit with their topographical maps loaded on plus memory map may be a viable solution. Anyone have any experience of this?

Jon
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Oh yes, have a look at my thread on the garmin 60csx in general should explain a lot.

http://www.whatmtb.com/forum/topic.asp? ... rms=,60csx

Anything else you need to know about MM or topouk yell as I've been using MM for a looong time now for greenlaning and getting to know topo pretty well.

.........Rikk
  • infaddict
    infaddict Posts: 49
    I looked at Memory Map but it only works on Pocket PC's or PDA's (i.e. running Windows Mobile operating system). Lots of phones don't have that, so I looked around for a similar product that runs on a Symbian operating system (which lots of phones use). I came across ViewRanger (http://www.viewranger.com/) and bought the 1:50k National Park maps, plus a custom map of my choice. I find the product excellent and I connect via bluetooth to my œ30 SIRC III GPS unit which sits in the top of my camelbak. I mount my Nokia N70 on my handlebars and it works great! The customer support for ViewRanger is 2nd to none (most mails answered within minutes, even on weekends) and the software is easy to use and reliable. You can plot routes and waypoints in the software, but that can be fiddly on phones, so I find it best to plot the routes on my PC using Memory map and then exporting the routes as a .gpx file into ViewRanger.

At the weekend I did a 50 mile loop and followed it using ViewRanger, without any problem. It beeped when I went more than 30 metres off route, and gave me heading, distance to waypoint etc as I was riding. I got home and saved my actual track data onto the PC to view where I'd been, how high, top speed etc.

If you need any further info then let me know.

Giant XTC SE 2006 (2nd edition)
  • jon208
    Thanks folks. Spent a fair bit of time looking into this this afternoon.
    Looks like a reasonable option for my Peak District based riding would be:
    A Garmin eTrex Vista CX
    Loaded with Garmin Mapsource Topo SD card (Region 7 - Peak District)
    With routes being planned on Memory Map 1:25000 Peak District Explorer
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cowan-king</i>

or nokia N95 and memory map (n95 has GPS! and wifi and a 5Mega pixel camera!) so your covered wherre ever you are!

regards from:

The Cowan King<font color="red"><center>(my sidekick2)</font id="red"></center>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

is the n95 able to run memory map?? I didn't think it was because memory map is windows and the nokia isn't. Correct me if I am wrong!

Trek 6000 Disc - X9 Shifters and rear derailleur

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/4755 ... be64_o.jpg

Trek 6000 Disc - X9 Shifters and rear derailleur - Trvativ Firex Team 3.3 crank - what to buy next, mavic crossride wheelset or new forks!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/4755 ... be64_o.jpg
  • infaddict
    I thought the N95 was Symbian, not Windows Mobile or Pocket PC and could therefore not run Memory Map.

I've only seen the Garmin Topo stuff once or twice, but it didn't seem anywhere near as detailed as a real colour OS map (as used by ViewRanger or Memory Map). I much prefer having the coloured OS map on my screen so I can clearly see all the various roads/paths/bridleways in the very familiar colours.

• jon208
    True but I don't want to take the PDA out and about on the bars of the MTB. I accept that the Garmin Topo is less detailed than OS but my intention was to do all the detailed route planning at home with memory maps 1:25000 OS stuff, then download the waypoints to the Garmin and just have the Topo mapping on the screen as a guide - after all, I'd be following the pre set waypoints anyway.

Jon
  • infaddict
    Hey jon, yep good point. The only other time the real OS proves useful is in emergencies or when you need to modify your intended route. You are then relying on the Topo map for route planning rather than simply following a route. However, we should all have a backup paper map for that I guess!!

• RobS
    RobS Posts: 131
    Sorry to but in but the subject matter is too close for me to justify making a seperate topic.

What would people recomend as a GPS for purely cycling computer style functions?

I myself have been through 2 'cycle computers' and my brothers 3 week old catseye died on him a few days ago, and im also not convinced how accurate they are, so was considering a GPS device of some kind, that was tough and strong enough to take MTBing, but accurate enoughto replace the Cycle computer.

does such a thing exist?

Cheers,

Rob

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">My Site - <font color="brown">robandgem.net</font id="brown">
    My Ride - <font color="red">Kona Hoss '06</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    -Rob

Kona Hoss 06
    My Site - www.robandgem.net
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    I use a cheap and cheerful Garmix eTrex Vista, I'm sure I've seen basic eTrex units for around œ70 recently, though the Vista is a little more (bigger memory and elevation logging IIRC).

They're rugged, pretty waterproof, and are great for accurate mileages and speeds. You can also (if you so desire) download your data to your PC, plot your route, speed, and elevation on mapping software (such as Memory Map).

Garmin also do a cycling specific GPS (The Edge), but they're more expensive.
  • jon208
    Yes and after looking into it the Edge seems to be heavily focused on fitness training rather than navigation, I was after a navigation tool - hence the choice of the Vista CX but for use a a cycling computer replacement then the Edge seems like an option.

My stuff is all in the post - looking forward to getting it all set up and working. Should be a good toy.
  • s_j_pwmb
    I'm sure it's already been said, but it's worth reiterating that you can't beat a map and compass for navigation!

Whilst I don't have the topo maps (on a b/w screen they're worse than useless anyhow), I don't even use the GPS with uploaded routes. I navigate using a map/compass, and just use the GPS to log the route, mark relevant waypoints for future use, and record speed profiles.

The combination of 1:50,000 Memory Map software on the PC, 1:25,000 paper maps, a compass, and the GPS gives me the most flexibility.
  • I use a garmin etrex vista cx with the topo maps, had my first proper ride with it last week and couldn't fault it. I map my routes on memory map and tranfer the data to my gps. I agree that that topo maps aren't very detailed but if your only using it to follow a route does it need to be that detailed ! As for using a map and compass while out, surely timewise thats the same as following a guide book. If the technology is there why not use it, any problems let me know and I'll see if i can help ! cheers charlton
  • jon208
    Charlton - Sounds like you're using the exact same setup that I've just ordered, glad to hear it all works! How have you got the unit mounted to the bike? Would like to get mine attached to the stem, have been looking at thr Ram mounts.

SJP - Some fair points but I want to get away from the stop/start nature of getting the map out on new trails. It's not that I can't map read, I just find it makes the ride very disjointed. Of course when venturing into the deeper Darker Peak I'll still have an OS map, compass and pork pie in the back pack as back up.
  • s_j_pwmb
    I appreciate the stops to read the maps, it lets me get my breath back ;-)
  • i was looking at getting mine mounted on the stem but couldn't see anything available, if you find anything I'd be interested if you could let me know! I've already replyed to one of your other posts, i hope this helps http://www.whatmtb.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21894 whats a ram mount cos i haven't come across these before ?
  • s_j_pwmb
    I have read of someone suggesting that removing the lower cup of the bar-mount clamp allows you to mount the top (clip portion) on the stem using cable ties.

It doesn't sound that satisfactory, but it may work.
  • jon208
    Ram mounts:

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2394.html

You basically choose the correct cradle for your GPS and then select the mounting you want for it and this attaches to the bottom of the cradle - i.e. windscreen suction, motorbike etc. For our needs the most relevant is thye 1" bar mount, it seems as though the orientation of the 1" mounting ring can be rotated around so it could fit either on the bars or if turned through 90deg then onto the stem. Stem mounting is a bit limited though as the mount states it fits 1" bars. If this describes your stem diameter then away you go. I'm going to see if I can "persuade" it to fit my slightly oval stem. If not then I'll be bar mounting it.

Thanks to Rikk for pointing me towards the Ram stuff.
  • this is what i went with http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GARMIN-HANDLEBAR- ... dZViewItem but you will need to adapt the battery cover with the cx models !
  • jon208
    Yes, that was the one I saw but was worried about the CX fitting, I see a bike clip adaptor thing is supplied with the GPS to allow it to fit.

Might give the Ram stuff a go, not the end of the world if it doesn't work well but they seem to be a company with a good reputation who make a good product.
  • mine come with a bike clip aswell, but sure enough it didn't fit to the handle bar mount it bought, assuming this is because it wasn't garmin. let me know how you get on and i might be tempted to change ! cheers charlton
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Hi I have got a Legend CX today and the bike mount which comes with it fits the Garmin Handlebar mount I also bought fine.

Just wondering, but is there anyway to get the Topo maps to show bridal paths? Or am I wasting my time trying to find out?

<h6><font color="red"><b>My Summer Ride </b></font id="red"><font color="red">Frame: Scott Scale Ltd | Fork: Pace RC39 | Shifters: XTR | Cranks: XTR | Rear Mech: XTR | Front Mech: XTR | Cassette: XT | Skewers: XTR | Pedals: Egg Beater Tripple Ti | Hubs: Chris King | Brakes: Formula B4SLs | Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray | Seat Post: Ritchey WCS Carbon | Handlebar: Easton EC70 | Saddle: Selle Italia SLR | Cables: Flying Snakes</font id="red">

<font color="blue">My Winter Ride </font id="blue">Frame: Marin Indian Fire Trail | Fork: Manitou Skareb | Shifters: LX | Cranks: <b>XT</b> | Rear Mech: XT | Front Mech: XTR | Cassette: SRAM PC99 | Pedals: Egg Beater Candy | Brakes: Formula Oro Puro | Seat Post: Thomson Elite | Saddle: WTB | Cables: Nokons </h6>
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Out of interest a guy who works for me has written an application for the palm to us the arial maps from Google on his palm with GPS - (there is a SDK for Google maps that gives calibration info), really cool we tried it walking around the car park at work - accurate to a few feet!!!

I'd asked him to write it after looking at the Arial maps on Google of Llandegla moors; you can see a lot of the "unofficial" paths people have made and I thought it would be good on the bike.

May be available as shareware later in the year.

My Photo's
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00
    My Video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6DI7u19lM
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Does anybody know where to get handle bar mounts
    for a Nokia N73?

<div align="left"><font size="1">
    My Fury Pics

My Space

My Mods:RockShox Reba Team U-Turn Air, Hayes 9HFX XC Brakes,Truvativ StyloTeam GXP CrankSet
    Sram X-7 Shifters,Mavic XM719 Rims,Shamano XT Hubs,Conti Speedkings 2.1 tyres,Shamano XT Cassette,Rhloff SLT99 Chain,V12 Magnisum Pedals,Thomson Elite Seatpost,Selle Italia SLR XC Gelflow sadle,Ritchey WCS Ergo Grips

</font id="size1"> </div id="left">
  • daxionwmb
    daxionwmb Posts: 1,031
    My GPS 60CSx arrived at the weekend, amazing piece of kit. Loaded up the Topo GB on a 2GB card. Detail is excellent and tracking is very accurate because of the high sensitivity this model has.

Will be tracking some routes round Wharney this weekend.

Dax
    <hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center>
    My new Photo Album. Various Pics
    The new beast, Wharney ready
    <font size="1">
    S-Works Enduro newest pic
    Wharncliffe Route Map
    My site - www.heretic-sports.info
    <hr noshade size="1"></center></font id="size1">
    Dax
    <hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center>
    My new Photo Album. Various Pics
    New Pic of Nitrous
    <font size="1">
    S-Works Enduro newest pic
    Wharncliffe Route Map
    My site - www.heretic-sports.info
    <hr noshade size="1"></center></font id="size1">
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Hi can you get bridal paths to display one your GPS or on your COmputer screen when using the Topo Maps?

<h6><font color="red"><b>My Summer Ride </b></font id="red"><font color="red">Frame: Scott Scale Ltd | Fork: Pace RC39 | Shifters: XTR | Cranks: XTR | Rear Mech: XTR | Front Mech: XTR | Cassette: XT | Skewers: XTR | Pedals: Egg Beater Tripple Ti | Hubs: Chris King | Brakes: Formula B4SLs | Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray | Seat Post: Ritchey WCS Carbon | Handlebar: Easton EC70 | Saddle: Selle Italia SLR | Cables: Flying Snakes</font id="red">

<font color="blue">My Winter Ride </font id="blue">Frame: Marin Indian Fire Trail | Fork: Manitou Skareb | Shifters: LX | Cranks: <b>XT</b> | Rear Mech: XT | Front Mech: XTR | Cassette: SRAM PC99 | Pedals: Egg Beater Candy | Brakes: Formula Oro Puro | Seat Post: Thomson Elite | Saddle: WTB | Cables: Nokons </h6>