Roadies.............

Comments

• gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    An hour?
  • gary_fisher3
    Sub 50 mins should be possible if you go for it. why?
  • StefanH
    StefanH Posts: 228
    With slicks on, I'd say 45 mins would be quite impressive. With knobblies on, anything under an hour would be gratifying :)
  • gary_fisher3
    Your right about 45mins for 20 steady miles being impressive. At that sort of speed you'd win almost every time trial you entered.

As for under the hour with knobbly tyres. Yer right. I could probably get close to that sort of time on the cross bike, but it certainly wouldn't of been a steady ride; and there's no way I could do it on the MTB.
  • juankerrwmb
    juankerrwmb Posts: 611
    Turning to the dark side?
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">

Are we talking 20 miles on a road bike or slicked-MTB?
    Normal road commute with traffic lights, junctions, etc or on a track/country lane with none of these delaying obstacles?

Both of these (among other factors) can make a massive difference, too.
    </font id="Comic Sans MS">

<font size="1">Looking wistfully out of the office window at the sun.....
    daydreaming of the Sierra Nevada (and now of Vancouver/Whistler too!!)</font id="size1">
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • BOGEY
    BOGEY Posts: 647
    if you were to do a mixed route with hills etc then a 20mile lap in 1hour is about bang on.

when i did group training rides on the road bike we would cruise in a pack at 22-24mph. so 20mph on your own is a v.good cruising speed.

<font color="blue">My Cove Handjob XC</font id="blue">
  • paulosoxo
    paulosoxo Posts: 3,413
    well I done my route in 1:18 yesterday, quite a strong headwind along the coast, but no major climbs, more undulating , and I was very pleased with it, but then a post on C+ by Ratty2k. who also posts on here of doing 50 mile in 3:01.

I really must be slow!

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">My Photos</font id="red"> <font color="blue">My Inbred</font id="blue"> <font color="teal"></font id="teal">My Carrera Gryphon <font color="black">My Single Speed</font id="black"> <font color="green">TyMBR</font id="green">
    </font id="size1">
  • Futureboy
    Futureboy Posts: 498
    I used to be happy with a sub 1 hour (58 min) 25 mile Time Trial on a flattish course.

The fastest time on the same course was 53/54 minutes.
  • gary_fisher3
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The fastest time on the same course was 53/54 minutes.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd kill to do a 53/54min TT. Sadly I only just creep under the hour when the conditions are just right.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">well I done my route in 1:18 yesterday<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I wouldn't be too ashaimed of that. That's about 15mph. It doesn't take much (wind/hills/traffic) to drop my average speed down below that.
  • Futureboy
    Futureboy Posts: 498
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I wouldn't be too ashaimed of that. That's about 15mph. It doesn't take much (wind/hills/traffic) to drop my average speed down below that.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll second that. If i'm out on my usual training route (30 miles), i'll normally average about 15-17 mph. That's on a route with some pretty big climbs (and descents).
    When on 50+ mile rides, it drops to around 13 mph but generally i'm not pushing myself on those rides, just keeping a nice steady pace and enjoying the day out!