Cramp - fingers n toes

Ticaboy
Ticaboy Posts: 314
edited July 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I'm starting to get cramp in my fingers towards the end of a ride (or after 90 mins if on a longer ride). I have a 3 litre hydration pack and do get through it well (enough to sometimes stop and help water the local flora). I suspect it could be either:

1) Gloves are too padded, so gripping the bar is pronounced/exaggerated.
2) Water alone is not enough, and maybe need electrolyte drinks instead.

Are there any other common causes that I need to consider?

GT Expert 06

Comments

• Capt. Jon
    Capt. Jon Posts: 2,202
    You could be overhydrated, washed out your electrolytes or be underhydrated. Your gloves or shoes could be too tight, or something else restricting blood flow.

TyMBR

Support the UK bike industry
    If you don't like what i've posted assume there is a winking smilie next to it you simpleton ;-)
    TyMBR

- Support the UK bike industry -
    "You don't get that at trail centres"
  • Could be the position of the shifters on your bar, try tilting them up or down to relieve the stretch of your fingers to the levers. This was my problem at the end of last year, I tilted the shifters down a bit and it solved the problem!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • Ticaboy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Capt. Jon</i>

You could be overhydrated, washed out your electrolytes or be underhydrated. Your gloves or shoes could be too tight, or something else restricting blood flow.

TyMBR

Support the UK bike industry
    If you don't like what i've posted assume there is a winking smilie next to it you simpleton ;-)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Never considered over-hyradtion, although I've never used the full 3 litres on a sub 90min jaunt. Worth thinking about though. GLoves have lycra panels on the back to promote comfort and circulation. Will have a look at the shoesies too. Ta.

GT Expert 06
  • Ticaboy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cazzdevil</i>

Could be the position of the shifters on your bar, try tilting them up or down to relieve the stretch of your fingers to the levers. This was my problem at the end of last year, I tilted the shifters down a bit and it solved the problem!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Aha, good one. I always thought my shifters were in a good position, but perhaps not so. Will have a look and mess around accordingly. Ta.

GT Expert 06
  • Sounds like overhydration, try a bottle of something with electrolytes or an energy gel with electrolytes.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • i only drink when i'm thirsty, my last 2hours+ ride yesterday around the south downs on the i.o.w i drank about 1 litre but i did eat and drink alot just before starting, should i be drinking more?

Merlin Malt 4
  • Satchmo245
    Satchmo245 Posts: 707
    You're body can lose upto 3 litres of water an hour whilst exercising in hot weather but you can only replace it at a rate of 1 litre per hour. So 1 litre of water an hour is what you should be aiming for. As said above, especially when on longer rides, you should also take a bottle of SIS or some other energy drink to replace the salts etc. lost through sweating that water alone cannot replace.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Of course I'm right, I'm an Engineer!
    My Trusty Steed
    Me Blog
  • Possible suggestions (hand cramp)

check shock absorber settings
    try decent handlebar grips eg ODI YETI
    carbon fibre handlebar
    shorter stem

don't know about the feet thing though, could it be shoes too tight ?

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.