is there any downhill, 4x tracks near lancaster?

custom247
custom247 Posts: 7
edited September 2011 in Routes
is there any downhill, 4x tracks near lancaster area?

Comments

• mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Lake District?

Not sure about 4X.

<hr noshade size="1"><i><font color="red">"Victory belongs to the most persevering."</i></font id="red">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • bulldicker
    bulldicker Posts: 61
    try doing a serch for farleton knott sumerts going on there, some bits n bobs on youtube, ermmmm can't remember the site it was on hmmmmm?
  • hey man!

i know a few gnarl places. for a start, ther is the butterfly house memorial - in the ground of that massive place there is quite a lot of FR and sketcy stuff. and also the dirt jumps at lancaster university. theyre in the forest at the bottom near the M way.

in preston there is a BMX track, and also further down there is quite an alright bmx track in Cleveleys, blackpool
    Alex
  • _Mike
    _Mike Posts: 20
    I live in Cleveleys and had no idea a bmx track existed here. Where abouts is it?
  • im not too sure myself, but ive been told by about 15 people there is one. apparently its built on some wasteland and the jumps in it are quite good.

have a look about, it'll be on google or summat.

i take it you live near cleveleys, what do you ride man!?
    Alex
  • _Mike
    Just general trail riding and freeride/bikepark type stuff like the one at Glentress. Don't get chance to ride much though due to the lack of hills around where I live. Thats why I'd be interested in the bmx track as it'd be somewhere local to ride now and again.
  • sick, i live in blackpool, what about you?
    Alex
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    For DH, what about around Carnforth way? Don't know for sure but there is the old woods with paintballing and quads biking(?) so maybe decent places? And there's that hill I cant remember the name of up there too. Having said all this, its 3 years since i lived in lancaster so i might be talking rubbish!
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    Custom247, how about checking out these guys site out: http://www.bogtrotters.org/index.php they seem to do a lot of 'Bog Trotting' around the Lancaster area and might be able to help you to Bog Trot there too :)
  • _Mike
    crashandburn- Like I said I live in Cleveleys. Its good to know that there are in fact other people around here that ride.
  • heheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I'm a bog trotter!!!!

Carnforth has somet, they're still building it, and Farleton Knott is okay. We've just built an off camber switch-back track which is really good.

We've built a track in Warton as well.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Some good rides around Newby Bridge. Warton/Arnside aea has a few tirails.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Hi just registered here and found this cos I was looking for similar stuff.

Its not downhill but there are some fairly extensive dirt jumps and north shore style raised sections etc in Lancaster itself, in some woods right at the end of the quay. Some of the are pretty scary if you ask me!
  • Gisburn forest is an awesome place for downhill !
    It may not seem it when you start to ride there but all along the green run there are awesome tracks heading donw through the woods.
    Its best to set off doing the Green Route backwards. You will start to see jumps on your right. Opposite these are these superb downhill runs. Its best to do them when they are dry but i have "attempted" them when it was raining :lol:
    Its only a 45 minute drive from Lancaster.
    Its really good for XC of course.
    Have fun riding there.

:D Hope this has helped
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    _Mike wrote:
    I live in Cleveleys and had no idea a bmx track existed here. Where abouts is it?

I live in Cleveleys too. Ive got no idea where this is. Only thing i can think of is Jubilee gardens which has recently had some quarter pipes etc. installed. Defo no dirt jumps.

Was at Gisburn about a month ago, spoke to a guy doing some trail digging who said that they had finances in place for both more XC single track and the Downhill track. It was wet while i was there so didn`t attempt the DH it looked good though.
    Maybe one for the future.

Had a look at Whinlatter last week and that seems to be coming along also, more XC than DH though.

Phil
  • jsdvtr03
    jsdvtr03 Posts: 70
    I know this is old but woundered if anyone still know of any places as im just getting back into mountain biking after like 9 years lol and building up a exalt atm.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    There's the remains of a pretty cool DH track at Farleton Knott - there is suppose to be another one over the other side but I've not seen it.

There are some good DH tracks near Kentmere - a lot of it was a bit gnarly for me on my own with an xc helmet and no armour though! Some reasonable drops and it's all pretty tight through the trees. Couple of different lines. Looks well made.
  • jsdvtr03
    jsdvtr03 Posts: 70
    grumsta wrote:
    There's the remains of a pretty cool DH track at Farleton Knott - there is suppose to be another one over the other side but I've not seen it.

There are some good DH tracks near Kentmere - a lot of it was a bit gnarly for me on my own with an xc helmet and no armour though! Some reasonable drops and it's all pretty tight through the trees. Couple of different lines. Looks well made.

Where abouts it that mate? Not heard of kentmere.
  • Google maps is an amazing tool. So simple even an idiot could use it, unlike a lazy person

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ngdom&z=12

On a more serious note not sure where the downhill stuff is. I have seen some homemade death trap in some trees near kentmere just climbing up helwell lane. I would suggest asking the chaps in wheelbase they will probably know unless someone on here can provide more specific info. e.g. a grid ref or a gpx file.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I know no-one has been on this for a while, but I'm re-vamping warton crags trail atm. I plan to put in a few larger step-downs and I've already built up some of the old jumps and berms. It has the potential to be a sweet trail and It would be good to see a few more people riding it and possibly help out with the digging?
  • lol well i never, the jumps and north shore at the end of the lancaster quey, was built by myself and 3 mates. but sadly all the north shore was ripped down, and the jumps have worn away..... sad realy, cos we all stopped building after one of the lads got cancer :( But i must ask, my self and a few mates are making a DVD and are looking for local riders to star in it. if anyone would like to come out for a ride and see if your what we are looking for, please give me a shout. Also i have a page on facebook set up for lancaster based riders, and use it to organize ride outs, trips to scotland, etc. and new trail building around the local area, here is the link for the page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lancaster ... 7309743237
    Please feel free to join the group as i would like to unite all the local bikes into one massive group.
  • @Coeand
    iv been up there but never found the trails....??? but im well up for building some awesome trails up there, where will you next be up there?? il come up n check out the trails and bring some tools to build with, and stash them on the hill side, for all to use and get the trails built up :)
  • If the link works then this is the bottom of the trails.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Coach+R ... =en&tab=wl

If you use the 'little orange man' on the side, then you can see the bottom of the trail behind the Silver 4x4....You can just make out the logs making the final drop off.

I apologise to anyone who thinks this should be a 'secret trail' However I don't see the point in there being trails built and left to rot as no-one knows about them. If it is there it should be ridden, not left to waste!!
    I will say that there are deer, peregrin falcons and I think a rare type of Butterfly on warton crag. So if you use the trails please don't go causing havoc, and respect the walkers and other people in the area. The last thing we would want are the trails being destroyed. Walkers and bikers should be able to get along!!!!!!
  • There are no downhill/ 4x tracks within the area. There used to be one at Farleton fell many years ago but that got closed by the powers at be. Warton crag is an AONB, with some important wildlife so there is defo no biking allowed except for 1 small BW, but is used by a small minority of muppets who like to give the rest of us a bad name!! They are however building a downhill course at Grizedale forest. In regards to Kentmere there's a fairly good downhill route from the top of Nan Bield or try Garburn pass and the quarry just off the pass. Helvellyn has a fantastic downhill section and many other mountains in Cumbria if you can be bothered with pedalling. Check out your OS maps to find the best one's as I can't give all the secrets away :lol:
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • Try surf the turf at sizargh castle
  • Admittedly the warton crag stuff is illegal. However the places for DH I know of are Scratchmere Scar, Setmurphury's and Gisburn.
    Unfortunately these all take at least and hour to get to.....I was hoping for somewhere more local, so when you have 2hrs free after work there is somewhere to go session? If not does anyone of some dis-used land that cold be used to build some trails?

The old NPS track at farleton is still being ridden regularly -the jumps at the bottom could do with some maintenace- , however the stuff over the other side has been closed.
    I have only ever ridden Nan Bield and Garburn pass as an xc/ all mountain route and done both in the same ride....I wouldn't class them as DH tracks?
  • The old NPS track at farleton is still being ridden.
    Crikey haven't been up there for 10yrs + since some ranger got the arse ache, with us riding it. May have to pop over for old times sake.

I have only ever ridden Nan Bield and Garburn pass as an xc/ all mountain route and done both in the same ride....I wouldn't class them as DH tracks?

Yes your right they're not DH tracks purely natural BW's, which are fun to come down at full tilt but as i said there are no DH specific tracks except for the new one being built at Grisedale.
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • OP have you had a look at scratchmere scar near penrith, i know it's a fair way north but can't be too much different to Gisburn time wise... they run uplifts too :)

FAO the blackpool crew, have none of you driven past stanley park recently? there's a national level bmx track there, just being renovated at the moment. usually meet one or two mountian bikers when you pay a visit as well :)